Union vs Gate City

trumpet1988

UVAObserver: I haven't looked at the Graham \ Central thread one time. I'm not a fan of either school and have no dog in the hunt. Fans of those two fine schools could be saying all sorts of things I do not agree with, but I wouldn't know. Take a hint, friendo. 

I happened to talk to a friend of mine from Tech who grew up in GC and played baseball.  He now presently lives in Charlotte and told me about this site that explained it all.

It is a Facebook group page I am guessing. There is a sign that says, "It is hard to play against is but it is even harder to play for us." 

I found that mind blowing. Talk about expectations.  These are high school kids not college or professional athletes.  I asked him why the hell would someone put something like that up?

He stated that the fans wear blinders. They have played so many teams that were not as strong as them over the years that the fans have become spoiled to winning.  Now that they are in 2A and the schools are pretty even as far as enrollment now, finishing in the final four or final eight is not as easy as it.was before. I told him that well.you have won some state titles. He said, "yes that is true but look at the athletes that were on those state titles teams. Players like Phillip Rogers, Jake House right, Chad Beasley all Virginia Tech alumni. The last state title came in the Group A ranks. If we were in Group AA we wouldn't have made the playoffs. Now that the state is even we look human now and Superman's cape is off."

I asked if all.the best players are playing basketball?  He stated, "You are a teenager with a chance to play Division 1 basketball would you roll the dice and possibly get injured?  The talent level is just more geared to basketball right now. I never thought I would say that but Gate City is now a basketball school and there are some football diehard lovers who do not like it and would do anything to.disrupt the balance of.power.  So yes my friend. Our fans are super super spoiled.".  

He then directed me to this site. 

Tell me what you think. 

Makes me glad to be a Radford Bobcat. Our guys play basketball, football or both.  I have never heard of anything like this. I believe you have some people that need to take a long hard look in the mirror.  You live in a small town with what 2000 people?  Yes I have been there. Is a nice town. I like the mountains and all. Gives it a nice touch. Thanks for making me happy I never had to play for fans like.you. Poor kids. Damn. I wouldn't want to play knowing my mammy and pappy's life depended on us winning and upholding your spiritual precious tradition. I believe some of.you need a coffee break and just go out to support your kids and let the coaches coach. Maybe that is the majority of your problems. Looks like it to me from this Facebook photo. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/105003336223783

36 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Yeah, good to know the GC arrogance isn't totally dead. GC is victory. Wow. lololol

You can call that arrogance if you wish, but you and I both know very well what I meant and what I meant was.....pride in our program, love for our program, etc.  But, if you wish to cheerypick and take it out of context, then that is fine also.  Like one poster wrote in the thread, "we aren't used to losing." I think a few folks, (not all or not even most) but a few have realized with this thread that folks at GC are serious about their program and dedicated to it. This is what the thread tells me. I don't see a pile of crap or garbage or much in-fighting. I see a bunch of people that love GC football and you know what, a neutral non-biased person who could or would read the entire thread would likely reach the same conclusion.

Or maybe fans of Graham, Radford, etc. need to stop gas lighting. The fact is GC fans arguing amongst themselves about the actual team is virtually non existent and NO ONE had been anything less than supportive of the PLAYERS. Reread the thread and you will see near universal agreement from GC fans that there is not a talent issue. 

Bottom line: If you're not from Union or GC, go look at your own damn thread; we do not presently, have never, and will never care about the opinions or expectations of outsiders. We are GC. 

23 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

You can call that arrogance if you wish, but you and I both know very well what I meant and what I meant was.....pride in our program, love for our program, etc.  But, if you wish to cheerypick and take it out of context, then that is fine also.  Like one poster wrote in the thread, "we aren't used to losing." I think a few folks, (not all or not even most) but a few have realized with this thread that folks at GC are serious about their program and dedicated to it. This is what the thread tells me. I don't see a pile of crap or garbage or much in-fighting. I see a bunch of people that love GC football and you know what, a neutral non-biased person who could or would read the entire thread would likely reach the same conclusion.

Dude what context? You seriously typed out GC is victory. On what planet is that not incredibly pretentious? I'm not mad at ya, I just found it hilarious. I didn't cherry pick anything, you started a paragraph with that sentence word for word! 

Actually, the truth is I find it refreshing. Refreshing to know that even though GC has suffered thru some lean seasons, the unrivaled arrogance (not undeserved, just unrivaled) and unwavering belief of GC superiority has not disappeared. It's nice to know that in this ever-changing landscape that some things never change.

56 minutes ago, HowTheWestWasWon2017 said:

"Makes me glad to be a Radford Bobcat. Our guys play basketball, football or both.  I have never heard of anything like this. I believe you have some people that need to take a long hard look in the mirror.  You live in a small town with what 2000 people?  Yes I have been there. Is a nice town. I like the mountains and all. Gives it a nice touch. Thanks for making me happy I never had to play for fans like.you. Poor kids. Damn. I wouldn't want to play knowing my mammy and pappy's life depended on us winning and upholding your spiritual precious tradition. I believe some of.you need a coffee break and just go out to support your kids and let the coaches coach. Maybe that is the majority of your problems."

I liked your post and thought it was solid for the first 90% of it.  I disagree with the overwhelming majority of it, but respect the heck out of it.......at least, I respect the heck out of the first 90% of it.  As for the last 10%, why the hyperbole?  I mean.........why?  You had a solid post with facts to support it and I thought you had a solid and cogent argument, then you finish with hyperbole.  For example, do you really think if Gate City loses, people just choose to not go to work the next day or businesses in town close, or law enforcement and medical services stop responding to 911 calls?  <-------These would be examples of "mammy and pappy's" life depending on winning or losing.  Fact is, that obviously isn't the case.  As for a "spiritual precious tradition."  What does the spiritual or religious part have to do with anything?  Where does that come in?  Additionally, you write about some of us needing a coffee break or in summary, you are saying,,,,,just chill out some.  <----Again, solid point and I actually agree with you, but......why tie in the cogent statement with a statement that implies "we don't support our kids."   That's called a fallacy.  You start a statement with truth and in the same sentence, you end with a false statement, but to the reader, you attempt to make the entire sentence as a truth when it is not.  It is these types of posts that have clouded the thread or muddied the thread (if muddied).  I just don't get it.  You make a solid post and give solid points (even though I disagree with them), but you finish with hyperbole and fallacy.  No need to do that my friend.  You made your point well and had the audience long before your final paragraph which turned your post obviously biased and it hurt your argument.

14 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Dude what context? You seriously typed out GC is victory. On what planet is that not incredibly pretentious? I'm not mad at ya, I just found it hilarious. I didn't cherry pick anything, you started a paragraph with that sentence word for word! 

Actually, the truth is I find it refreshing. Refreshing to know that even though GC has suffered thru some lean seasons, the unrivaled arrogance (not undeserved, just unrivaled) and unwavering belief of GC superiority has not disappeared. It's nice to know that in this ever-changing landscape that some things never change.

Call it pretentious (I don't disagree) when reading it at first glance.  Where we disagree is on the "unrivaled" portion.  That's where you are reaching, jumping to conclusions, wishing, hoping.  As for GC's "superiority not disappeared." What on earth would make you think GC fans believe or feel we are superior?  Look at the thread.  Heck, forget the thread.  Look at our record this year and the last few years.  We are far from superior on the field, lol.  Where I feel we are superior in one area and why I made the statement about GC being victory and what I meant/the context was.......... our tradition, fan-base, support, and drive to be "superior" again.  Either way, I respect your opinion and do realize that the overwhelming majority of people who read the statement I made would perceive it as pretentious or arrogant.  My apologies for those offended.  I get that.  As for "unrivaled"?  That's a stretch. 

P.S.  The ever-changing landscape is exactly that in 1950, 1960 or 2016 (11 months ago).  It's always ever-changing and always has been.  Therefore, the perception that the landscape we are living at present is something different or new and not heard of in the past is exactly as you describe it........it's a perception that's inaccurate and that perception truly does, "never seem to change." by some.

All this talk about how bad Gate City is, I will bet you a dollar to a donut that this will be the hardest hitting Union has up to this point. I don't see a high scoring game 28-7 Union, I for one haven't forgotten the 21-7 halftime lead Gate City had last year

3 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

Call it pretentious (I don't disagree) when reading it at first glance.  Where we disagree is on the "unrivaled" portion.  That's where you are reaching, jumping to conclusions, wishing, hoping.  As for GC's "superiority not disappeared." What on earth would make you think GC fans believe or feel we are superior?  Look at the thread.  Heck, forget the thread.  Look at our record this year and the last few years.  We are far from superior on the field, lol.  Where I feel we are superior in one area and why I made the statement about GC being victory and what I meant/the context was.......... our tradition, fan-base, support, and drive to be "superior" again.  Either way, I respect your opinion and do realize that the overwhelming majority of people who read the statement I made would perceive it as pretentious or arrogant.  My apologies for those offended.  I get that.  As for "unrivaled"?  That's a stretch. 

P.S.  The ever-changing landscape is exactly that in 1950, 1960 or 2016 (11 months ago).  It's always ever-changing and always has been.  Therefore, the perception that the landscape we are living at present is something different or new and not heard of in the past is exactly as you describe it........it's a perception that's inaccurate and that perception truly does, "never seem to change." by some.

A-Youre being too serious. I was being flippant. 

And B-You said GC is victory then don't understand why people believe GC folk consider themselves superior? Are you serious right now? If someone posted Union is victory, or PV was victory, I'd hope they'd get laughed at as well. It's a silly statement, even if I clearly see the context in which the statement was said. 

And your last point, I'm not getting into a philosophical discussion. It's an adage that I reworded. Again, not everything is literal. It does make me wonder, for someone who is clearly very literal, how do you not see why people find your statement funny?

14 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

All this talk about how bad Gate City is, I will bet you a dollar to a donut that this will be the hardest hitting Union has up to this point. I don't see a high scoring game 28-7 Union, I for one haven't forgotten the 21-7 halftime lead Gate City had last year

I think we make it a game, but Union is just to much in all facets.  The Bears are good on both lines of play, and that will neutralize us.  Add in their skill positions and not to mention, this bunch is very well coached, and you have a Bears beating us solidly.  I don't think it's a blowout though.  The rivalry aspect of it and what's been going at GC will have the kids fired up.  Not that they need it because it's undefeated Union of course, but there is still some extra sauce on the pizza.  I go it Union 28, Gate City 13.  I think Union's offensive issues (loss of the QB) has set their team back 10-13 points and they are not as explosive as they obviously were with him.  Union's solid lineplay and defense is going to keep it in every game and prevent a solid win or 20 point win by about any opponent, even in the playoffs, but Union's lack of offense is going to prevent Union from having some blowouts or running clocks that they would have otherwise likely had, if their QB were healthy. 

Union 28- GC 13.  I hope I'm wrong.

Great insight....  Just curious, question for you hard core southwest virgina football fans.  When did the last state championship come home to far southwest?  For some reason the game as completely changed in our area. Everybody seems to be running some form of spread offense, gotten away from beans and taters physical football.  We don't have the skill talent to compete with eastern teams that simple.  Compare Virgina football to SEC football.  Coaching matters, for instance if UT had beaten Florida they would have given Jones a 5 year extension, not giving any thought that Florida is not a bery good football team.  

7 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

A-Youre being too serious. I was being flippant. 

And B-You said GC is victory then don't understand why people believe GC folk consider themselves superior? Are you serious right now? If someone posted Union is victory, or PV was victory, I'd hope they'd get laughed at as well. It's a silly statement, even if I clearly see the context in which the statement was said. 

And your last point, I'm not getting into a philosophical discussion. It's an adage that I reworded. Again, not everything is literal. It does make me wonder, for someone who is clearly very literal, how do you not see why people find your statement funny?

Man, ok my friend.  I was arrogant, ignorant, pretentious, bad, uncool, unkind, and because of that statement, ALL GC FANS (everyone who ever lived in GC or cheered for GC) are the same as you implied.  Therefore, to use your own word on "literal."  I would hope and prey everything "is not literal" as you described, because your recent post is equally laughable when you take one person's sentence from one long post, then apply the entire thing to "all" GC fans, and that is EXACTLY what you did.  That's why I fired back. 

As for my post...ignorant, arrogant, biased, to confident, laughable, pretentious.  Ok, fine.  I get it.  I accept it.  You made your point.  But....to then generalize all GC fans from one guys sentence from one snapshot in time?  To use your word......"silly."

1 hour ago, Grapeape said:

UVAObserver: I haven't looked at the Graham \ Central thread one time. I'm not a fan of either school and have no dog in the hunt. Fans of those two fine schools could be saying all sorts of things I do not agree with, but I wouldn't know. Take a hint, friendo. 

That’s how you become uneducated. You should read EVERY thread on here. I’m not affiliated with Graham or Central, but I’ve read it. Same with this thread. 

You making that statement is the same things as telling sportscasters to “stay in your lane”, which is pure BS. You don’t have to be a poster of the school in a thread to have an opinion. 

8 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

That’s how you become uneducated. You should read EVERY thread on here. I’m not affiliated with Graham or Central, but I’ve read it. Same with this thread. 

I thought people only read every thread because their OCD triggers when seeing the blue icon that signals a new post?

But you're right.  Reading only your own perspective and your own material leads to a lack of information and education, and leads to indoctrination.  And I think "indoctrination" is a pretty good word for some of the content in this thread.

I read all threads as well. If I see a player is hurt from another school, I'll wish them well. I would hope the same if it was one of ours.

I'm not sure what "stutter" GC fans did to the LPD board. I was a LONG time member there and made a lot of friends from other schools. Me and Old Dawg (RIP) used to have knockdown dragouts there...but we still respected each other and our teams. We'd tell each other where to go Monday-Thursday, but we'd buy each other a hot dog on Friday. Sadly those days are gone. There are knuckleheads for every school. There's not one school in the country that doesn't have them.

As for our current situation, I ran into a guy at work this morning that I've known for 40 years and his son is currently playing. I've never heard him, in 40 years, make a negative comment about anyone...until this morning.

Regardless what the fans think or want, or opposing fans think or want, one thing keeps popping into my head....the kids deserve better.

8 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

Man, ok my friend.  I was arrogant, ignorant, pretentious, bad, uncool, unkind, and because of that statement, ALL GC FANS (everyone who ever lived in GC or cheered for GC) are the same as you implied.  Therefore, to use your own word on "literal."  I would hope and prey everything "is not literal" as you described, because your recent post is equally laughable when you take one person's sentence from one long post, then apply the entire thing to "all" GC fans, and that is EXACTLY what you did.  That's why I fired back. 

As for my post...ignorant, arrogant, biased, to confident, laughable, pretentious.  Ok, fine.  I get it.  I accept it.  You made your point.  But....to then generalize all GC fans from one guys sentence from one snapshot in time?  To use your word......"silly."

Jesus H Christ, I WAS BEING SILLY AND GOOFING AROUND A. Youre being crazy. You posted a silly statement, I mused on it in a light-hearted way and you can't just take the joke. I didn't apply the 

1 hour ago, GC_Quincy said:

I read all threads as well. If I see a player is hurt from another school, I'll wish them well. I would hope the same if it was one of ours.

I'm not sure what "stutter" GC fans did to the LPD board. I was a LONG time member there and made a lot of friends from other schools. Me and Old Dawg (RIP) used to have knockdown dragouts there...but we still respected each other and our teams. We'd tell each other where to go Monday-Thursday, but we'd buy each other a hot dog on Friday. Sadly those days are gone. There are knuckleheads for every school. There's not one school in the country that doesn't have them.

As for our current situation, I ran into a guy at work this morning that I've known for 40 years and his son is currently playing. I've never heard him, in 40 years, make a negative comment about anyone...until this morning.

Regardless what the fans think or want, or opposing fans think or want, one thing keeps popping into my head....the kids deserve better.

I miss the old LPD forum as well. No disrespect to GMan or UVAO at all, this is a very well maintained and excellently designed forum, I just have the nostalgia for the old forum. I made many great friends as well. We are few and far between now, old LPD members. You, Stripes, DJ, and a couple more. I've changed my name, Biggin was such a STUPID ass name haha but I was like 14.

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

I've changed my name, Biggin was such a STUPID ass name haha but I was like 14.

I feel ya. I joined as a sophomore in 2005 and took “Ryan4VT” only because my uncle was “BigD4VT”. 

Could have found something better, but it is what it is at this point. 

1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

I feel ya. I joined as a sophomore in 2005 and took “Ryan4VT” only because my uncle was “BigD4VT”. 

Could have found something better, but it is what it is at this point. 

Do you remember some of the huge wars on there? Between Biggin and Bama_Man, I was in some epic flame wars lolol

42 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I miss the old LPD forum as well. No disrespect to GMan or UVAO at all, this is a very well maintained and excellently designed forum, I just have the nostalgia for the old forum. I made many great friends as well. We are few and far between now, old LPD members. You, Stripes, DJ, and a couple more. I've changed my name, Biggin was such a STUPID ass name haha but I was like 14.

The Old LPD Forum was a good place...this one is as well. IMO, this one is nowhere near as heated. I've never gotten my blood pressure up on here, but on there it was a daily occurrence.