Union vs Gate City

trumpet1988

8 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

When was the last time GCs most effective weapon was their punter?

Just be careful not to blame the gentleman who's job it is to design the offense and get the the kids ready to play. Its just lack of talent + meanies on a message board; let's give him another 10 years and hope he learns how to do the job he was hired to do. 

16 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

Just be careful not to blame the gentleman who's job it is to design the offense and get the the kids ready to play. Its just lack of talent + meanies on a message board; let's give him another 10 years and hope he learns how to do the job he was hired to do. 

What? I didn't say any of that, I was jus saying that GCs best player tonight has been the punter. The coaching has been uninspired at best, very bland and easy to stop play calls. Not a good game called so far for the GC staff. 

8 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

What? I didn't say any of that, I was jus saying that GCs best player tonight has been the punter. The coaching has been uninspired at best, very bland and easy to stop play calls. Not a good game called so far for the GC staff. 

I didn't mean you were saying that, my bad. 

Worst halftime deficit in school history.

If GC goes 0-10, there will not be another year.  Right or wrong, and maybe it's wrong, but the fans will not tolerate that here.  They just will not, and again, maybe more time is needed, but I'm telling you, 0-10 and you can forget about it.  As a matter of fact, 1-9 will likely not cut it, so lets shoot for a 2 win season at Great City!!!!!  Yeeaaaaaa.  I'm going to drink now!

4 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

If GC goes 0-10, there will not be another year.  Right or wrong, and maybe it's wrong, but the fans will not tolerate that here.  They just will not, and again, maybe more time is needed, but I'm telling you, 0-10 and you can forget about it.  As a matter of fact, 1-9 will likely not cut it, so lets shoot for a 2 win season at Great City!!!!!  Yeeaaaaaa.  I'm going to drink now!

Two wins might be asking too much.  I actually thought it would be close early but I seen some kids quit early.  Hate to see Gate City this down and from the 8th grade and JV scores there may not be much help on the way.

My take on what I saw from GC tonight is this: Lack of speed and overall talent killed them..BUT their fundamentals (tackling, getting their heads across on blocks, footwork...especially the big guys, techniques on contain responsibilities) was abysmal...tackling was a mess, too...and all of that lays at the feet of the coaching. I think that it is a perfect storm for futility in the short term. But, every team they play isn't going to be the caliber of Union. That said, I think they beat Central and are in several games from here on out. Lean on the two big backs and the line and let the chips fall where they may.

51 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

I'm seriously doubting GC can get 2 wins. Heard 3 players quit this week and would be willing to bet there will be more. The entire system from LL up is in disarray.

21 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

My take on what I saw from GC tonight is this: Lack of speed and overall talent killed them..BUT their fundamentals (tackling, getting their heads across on blocks, footwork...especially the big guys, techniques on contain responsibilities) was abysmal...tackling was a mess, too...and all of that lays at the feet of the coaching. I think that it is a perfect storm for futility in the short term. But, every team they play isn't going to be the caliber of Union. That said, I think they beat Central and are in several games from here on out. Lean on the two big backs and the line and let the chips fall where they may.

I wasn't impressed with the big backs at all, no wiggle and didn't get a chance to show much speed. I thought the athletes out wide, 10 and maybe 8 or 9 were the best playmakers. The outside WR has mastered the subtle pushoff lol. 

10 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I wasn't impressed with the big backs at all, no wiggle and didn't get a chance to show much speed. I thought the athletes out wide, 10 and maybe 8 or 9 were the best playmakers. The outside WR has mastered the subtle pushoff lol. 

I wasn't exactly impressed, either...but what success they had stemmed from the approach of just battering the D with their big backs and line. Add 2 or 3 misdirection plays with a couple of their quicker guys, a couple play action passes, a counter toss or two, and you have enough to compete with much of the rest of their schedule. They may not win 'em all but given the personnel, it's the best chance. The tackling and outside contain issues have to be addressed, though, or nothing they do on offense will matter. One other thing, if their punter has a year or two left and he works in the offseason with Coach Joel Davis, he can be excellent. Looked pretty good in pregame...and Joel is one of the best around here at coaching punters. If the powers that be at GC lets him walk, they need their heads examined.

24 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

I wasn't exactly impressed, either...but what success they had stemmed from the approach of just battering the D with their big backs and line. Add 2 or 3 misdirection plays with a couple of their quicker guys, a couple play action passes, a counter toss or two, and you have enough to compete with much of the rest of their schedule. They may not win 'em all but given the personnel, it's the best chance. The tackling and outside contain issues have to be addressed, though, or nothing they do on offense will matter. One other thing, if their punter has a year or two left and he works in the offseason with Coach Joel Davis, he can be excellent. Looked pretty good in pregame...and Joel is one of the best around here at coaching punters. If the powers that be at GC lets him walk, they need their heads examined.

They tried some misdirection and counter plays but seemed like the Union defense jus blew up the OL and didn't allow those plays to set up and work. When the OL is gettib beat consistently, I think you have to try more to the outside and scheme some one on one matchups. 

On the Union side, YOU NEED A SAFETY! We cannot continue to have our DBs with no help on the outside. The rush defense is more than good enough to stop most teams rush attacks, so there's no need to risk big plays by having your outside corners on an island with no over the top help. Union is basically playing a 4-4 right now with Mitchell playing a STAR or Rover position with no deep safety and two corners having no help. Playing nine men in the box will get you killed against teams with skill, size and speed outside. The offense I believe has found the QB and it's not who I expected. It's Lester, 21. Qualls lacks touch on his throws seems like, and always misses high. If Union feels the need to have a traditional QB, I'd go with Lester even tho I really thought it'd be Qualls. 

46 minutes ago, gc1 said:

I'm seriously doubting GC can get 2 wins. Heard 3 players quit this week and would be willing to bet there will be more. The entire system from LL up is in disarray.

We have some really good coaches in LL but kids don't seem interested in coming out. 

5 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

They tried some misdirection and counter plays but seemed like the Union defense jus blew up the OL and didn't allow those plays to set up and work. When the OL is gettib beat consistently, I think you have to try more to the outside and scheme some one on one matchups. 

On the Union side, YOU NEED A SAFETY! We cannot continue to have our DBs with no help on the outside. The rush defense is more than good enough to stop most teams rush attacks, so there's no need to risk big plays by having your outside corners on an island with no over the top help. Union is basically playing a 4-4 right now with Mitchell playing a STAR or Rover position with no deep safety and two corners having no help. Playing nine men in the box will get you killed against teams with skill, size and speed outside. The offense I believe has found the QB and it's not who I expected. It's Lester, 21. Qualls lacks touch on his throws seems like, and always misses high. If Union feels the need to have a traditional QB, I'd go with Lester even tho I really thought it'd be Qualls. 

Much of what will work from here on out won't work vs. a front 7 like Union's. But, I still think that is GC's best chance to have a fighting chance. As far as Union's Safety, I may be mistaken but I think I saw him on crutches in street clothes on the sideline.

8 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

Much of what will work from here on out won't work vs. a front 7 like Union's. But, I still think that is GC's best chance to have a fighting chance. As far as Union's Safety, I may be mistaken but I think I saw him on crutches in street clothes on the sideline.

Yeah 17 is injured. But that doesn't mean Union should just scrape having a FS! lol 

Union is the best team I've seen this season. Mitchell might be better at QB for Union. The ball is in your playmakers hands every play, we knew it was coming, and couldn't stop it. 

And Joel Davis is very liked by the players from GC, I heard that tonight. 

I feel miserable and the bottom line tonight is this....we were beaten badly.  A severe beating that I have not seen in a long, long time. 

Gate City was curb-stomped and violated Folsom-style and because of this, I feel vulnerable, unclothed, dirty, and for whatever unknown reason, an underestimated sense of guilt is present, yet incredible sorrow prevalent.  I am hungry, however I can not eat.  I'm not thirsty, but I shall indeed drink.

33 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Union is the best team I've seen this season. Mitchell might be better at QB for Union. The ball is in your playmakers hands every play, we knew it was coming, and couldn't stop it. 

And Joel Davis is very liked by the players from GC, I heard that tonight. 

When he gets some open space, he's a special player. Some of the moves he makes seem impossible for a kid that big. And the speed is deceiving, he can turn on the jets and outrun most players. 

I agree with you, I like Mitchell at QB. He's such a dynamic playmaker, having him touch the ball every time is a smart move. He is also extremely secure with the ball, rarely puts it on the ground. 

I hate to pour salt in the wounds lol, but another of Unions best playmakers didn't even play tonight. 17, Owens, is probably the fastest Bear and is sidelined ATM. Union has four legit backs, the inside ram Zirkle, the outside threat Jenkins, the home run speedster Owens and the most complete player, Mitchell. 

Edit-I still worry about not having a passing attack to keep defenses honest, I'm not sure Union can beat the best teams if they stack the box with 10 guys. But the run game is so powerful right now, any team has their hands full trying to stop it.

I must say that I expected GC to give Union all they could handle. Just because they always seem to. 

From listening, I can see the frustration from GC fans.

Oddly enough, all 3 Scott County football teams are 0-5. Each.  

Hang in there GC. 

And where did Avery Jenkins come from? He accounted for what? 4 Union TDs?