William Byrd @ Richlands

Ryan4VT

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Murders Row continues this week with Class 4 Byrd coming to Ernie Hicks. For those who don't know much about Byrd, Larry Basham is the man at RB. He's GOOD. Gonna be tough for the Blues again.

Storm coming to Hicks this coming Friday...

Was at the Byrd-Martinsville game last night. Byrd is not flashy but are fundamentally very sound. They block really well and Barham is very good. They'll run alot of Wildcat and snap the ball straight to him and let him roll. They throw the ball just enough to keep you honest. Should be a good game, Basham has some speed but overall they just have decent team speed.

I wrote this 2 weeks ago. Byrd is the best team Richlands plays in games 1 to 10. Byrd lost twice last year. Once to Salem by 3 in regular season, and then again in the playoffs to Salem, and Byrd is better this year. This will be Richlands worse loss of the season which includes regular season and the playoffs. Byrd is better than Blacksburg, and the best team Richlands plays is certainly not Union, or even Bluefield, not Graham, and not even defending state champions Blacksburg, it is William Byrd.

W.Byrd 45, Richlands 14, and a game never it doubt. WB is the real deal.

On September 17, 2017 at 6:46 PM, TTownTigers said:

I wrote this 2 weeks ago. Byrd is the best team Richlands plays in games 1 to 10. Byrd lost twice last year. Once to Salem by 3 in regular season, and then again in the playoffs to Salem, and Byrd is better this year. This will be Richlands worse loss of the season which includes regular season and the playoffs. Byrd is better than Blacksburg, and the best team Richlands plays is certainly not Union, or even Bluefield, not Graham, and not even defending state champions Blacksburg, it is William Byrd.

W.Byrd 45, Richlands 14, and a game never it doubt. WB is the real deal.

But, are you sure?  I mean really sure?  

Doesn't Appo schedule games against 4A schools? It is a bit of a jump especially for a 2A school im SWVA but Im sure Mance has his reasons. Richlands has been the class of the field for several years running now in SWVA. To me scheduling 3A and 4A schools may be a humbling experience. Mance has built his program to the point that consistently playing lesser 1A and 2A programs isnt going to make his program any better.

20 hours ago, Falcon Mania said:

"William Byrd rolls this week.  Like it or not, it's a rebuilding year for the Blues.  They will have to take their lumps and develop some talent that has been waiting to play."

What, not enough big time recruits this year? Couldn't get any local talent to rent a trailer down in Cedar Bluff for the season?

20 minutes ago, BigRV said:

What, not enough big time recruits this year? Couldn't get any local talent to rent a trailer down in Cedar Bluff for the season?

I think they ran it kinda like baseball. They traded off all their younger prospects in years past for players to come in right away and help. Now they don't have anyone to trade for a top player and they have to start building from the bottom again. Atleast in my head that's the way I like to think its went...

Gosh fellas, when is the funeral scheduled for the Blues?   Usually when someone is deceased there are kind words.   In post game show on Friday night, heard announcers talking about Blacksburg's season last year with 5 losses,  and going on to win the state championship.  Their starting QB in those losses was Cole Beck, switched Johnson to QB and we know the rest of the story.  If Coach Wells can rework his team, I have confidence that Coach Mance can make the necessary adjustments also.  The Blues may not have the big playmakers this season, but they are a hard nosed team.  Good coaching brings out the skills in a player, and elevates the skills of a playmaker.  All of the playmakers that have worn a Blues uniform,  would not have been as successful without the coaching they received,  and the cast of players surrounding them. 

GO BLUES

1 hour ago, tbgfan said:

Their starting QB in those losses was Cole Beck, switched Johnson to QB and we know the rest of the story.  If Coach Wells can rework his team, I have confidence that Coach Mance can make the necessary adjustments also.  The Blues may not have the big playmakers this season

I think that's the biggest issue. No home run threat on offense. I know Mance could make some adjustments but it's hard to compare them to Blacksburg last year because there's no one near Cole Beck's level on Richlands' roster 

22 hours ago, BigO said:

But, are you sure?  I mean really sure?  

What does that mean?  Am I sure?  Are you sure?  Bottom line is.....I refer you to the first post of the thread in asking about opinions of the game.  I gave mine.  The "are you sure post" is good I guess, but it could apply to any post in the thread.  But, for the sake of answering your question.  No, I am not sure.  The game hasn't been played yet.  With that written, nobody else who posted in the thread is sure either.  I gave you my opinion....45-14 in favor of William Byrd, and yes, I am sure of one thing, if a team loses last year only to Salem in the regular season by 3 points and goes 9-1, then loses to them again in the playoffs, and that team is slightly better this year, then yes, I am sure that team is pretty good.  And....that team in my opinion only, will win the game by 30+ points at 45-14.  Time will tell.   I guess the real truth or "surety" is, if I were to post an opinion stating I feel Richlands were to win the game, there would be no, "are you sure" post.  Either way, it won't change the outcome.  It will get ugly in Vinton.