Haysi midget school

Dookthecook

What happen to that lil school in backwood. One with field of dreams so closed in 30 young Youngens made crowd. 

I was once there. Maybe twice. Heck I don't remember. Thinkn it was party game between Giles . Back yonder days. Mud so deep the the haysi band performed behind the left end zone. 

Is that ol field in town still?

1 hour ago, Dookthecook said:

What happen to that lil school in backwood. One with field of dreams so closed in 30 young Youngens made crowd. 

I was once there. Maybe twice. Heck I don't remember. Thinkn it was party game between Giles . Back yonder days. Mud so deep the the haysi band performed behind the left end zone. 

Is that ol field in town still?

I would imagine you are looking for the field at Sandlick elementary school, where Haysi played it's home games.  Their youth teams still play there.

1 hour ago, Grapeape said:

I've heard legends about GC's first trip to Sandlick after they dropped to single A... 

Lol... when a bunch of your folk tried to cause chaos by sitting on the Haysi side and got booted by Dickenson County's finest.  Those were the good ole days.  :D

I miss Sandlick.  As rvtne215 mentioned on the podcast this week, I motion for Ridgeview to play one game a season at Sandlick.  Although Tiger Tacos suck.  Pizza Factory pizza FTW!

I went and watched Johnson County play Sullivan East in week 1 on the Tennessee side, and Johnson County's field was exactly like Sandlick's... Pure mud bog!

I was at that game. Our stands were full by 11am and we went to the concession stand and was told "we haven't even been to get buns for hot dogs yet because we didn't expect this many people". Then some of the players and cheerleaders left in the back of a truck to go to the store...lol. That day was interesting all the way around.

Ole Tob (for those that remember him) was with me and I remember him saying "we have to be getting close because there's a bunch of red hats".....come to find out they were waiting for the Santa Train apparently.

When our son played, they did a home and home with Haysi. They played at Haysi on a Saturday. And all the players would not fit in the dressing room, so they pulled a bus around and blocked the view and some of the players dressed in the parking lot. It was about 30 degrees at kickoff  with a 20mph wind blowing through the cut down on the river! What a day.

26 minutes ago, SXSW said:

When our son played, they did a home and home with Haysi. They played at Haysi on a Saturday. And all the players would not fit in the dressing room, so they pulled a bus around and blocked the view and some of the players dressed in the parking lot. It was about 30 degrees at kickoff  with a 20mph wind blowing through the cut down on the river! What a day.

I assume your son played at North and had played Happy Valley on Saturday night.  Those officials that day were mens men wearing short sleeve shirts though.

12 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Lol... when a bunch of your folk tried to cause chaos by sitting on the Haysi side and got booted by Dickenson County's finest.  Those were the good ole days.  :D

I miss Sandlick.  As rvtne215 mentioned on the podcast this week, I motion for Ridgeview to play one game a season at Sandlick.  Although Tiger Tacos suck.  Pizza Factory pizza FTW!

I went and watched Johnson County play Sullivan East in week 1 on the Tennessee side, and Johnson County's field was exactly like Sandlick's... Pure mud bog!

I'd love for Union to play one game a year at Riggs Stadium in Appy. My son is a senior and it would be great to see him walk down the steps one time like my dad and I did. But it is a wish. 

16 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

I assume your son played at North and had played Happy Valley on Saturday night.  Those officials that day were mens men wearing short sleeve shirts though.

He did play at North and they played Happy Valley on Thursday and played at Haysi on Saturday. North had a huge O-Line and they were so tired by the third quarter that the coach was subbing in non offensive lineman to give them a break. Our 165 pound son played eight plays at tackle, and he was as big as Haysi's end he was blocking. Good Times! They did have the biggest port-o-potty I ever seen, it was bigger than some out buildings I ever had.

Ahhh  Sandlick Field  many a good memory there.   The visitors locker room was about 12x12. GC fans are a little different and it was totally unexpected to have fans show up that early. That's my time period at Haysi, fan support was pretty low and things were kind of bare bones.  We still scored in the 1stQ on the Blue Devils though. A small...very small... glimmer of hope that quickly faded.

I was working and missed the North game.  North being much larger than Haysi sounds about right. The success of Haysi football can be traced back to the line; when we had size up front we won region titles, when we didn't teams would simply push us around(Honaker, Clintwood, S. North, PV, Lee, etc.).

I made the trip there and remember we brought everything but Charcoal.  We went to some Delimart (forget the name) and they were sold out.  The guy told us GC fans had already came and grabbed it up.  He told us about another "deli-type mart" (I can't remember the name) of similar size and name, so we drove there and same thing.....nothing.  We drove through Davenport and all the way to Honaker and got some charcoal.   We didn't have GPS and only went by what some of the locals told us.  We made it Honaker from Sandlick in 30 minutes and were back in 30, and in plenty time to fire up the grill and watch the game.  I believe it was 2001.  If you want some deep history (for Haysi fans) read up on your 1969 match with GC in the regional finals. 

29 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

If you want some deep history (for Haysi fans) read up on your 1969 match with GC in the regional finals. 

Now that's a subject that I know absolutely nothing about.  Care to share?

4 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

I remember North basically staying foot to foot splits and just running wedge plays it seemed like to power the ball down the field.

That is their basic game, they ran the wing T as good as anyone back then, our son's senior season (2011) they had three 1000 yards rushers, and the next year they had three and another with 850. Did you officiate that game Stripes?

15 hours ago, BearDawg said:

I'd love for Union to play one game a year at Riggs Stadium in Appy. My son is a senior and it would be great to see him walk down the steps one time like my dad and I did. But it is a wish. 

Didn't they play a game there a couple years ago?