Week 5 Region C and D Power Points

BigWinners

14 hours ago, Beamerball said:

Bishop McGuinness is a private school, should be the game they aren't counting for Alleghany.  They don't have a division listing for BM on the master schedule.

Bishop McGuinness is a private school.  However, in North Carolina, private schools can, and often do, compete in the NCHSAA.  Another glaring oversight by VHSL.

Bishop McGuiness and Alleghany were both members of the 1A Northwest Conference at one time.  But much like SWVA, school consolidation and isolation has led to a new mixed 1A and 2A Mountain Valley Conference.  Bishop McGuinness remained in the Northwest Conference with East Surry, North Stokes, South Stokes, Mount Airy and Winston Salem Prep. 

Alleghany moved to the newly formed Mountain Valley Conference with Elkin, North Wilkes, East Wilkes, West Wilkes, Wilkes Central, Starmount and Ashe County.

https://www.nchsaa.org/sites/default/files/attachments/17-181AConferences.pdf

13 hours ago, Dick_Vitale said:

I apologize in advance, but how many teams make it from each region? 4 or 8? I am feeling like the answer is 8 though... Just wanted clarification

In this area, I am pretty sure it is 8 across the board.

However, there are some regions, like 1A Region B for instance who only have 6 eligible teams, so all 6 in that region will make it with top two getting first round byes.  It's very likely that Cumberland will go 0-10 and make the playoffs.

The 6A region Franklin County is in only has 8 teams also, so all 8 make the playoffs.  At least Franklin County has won a couple of games though, albeit against smaller competition.

2 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

In this area, I am pretty sure it is 8 across the board.

However, there are some regions, like 1A Region B for instance who only have 6 eligible teams, so all 6 in that region will make it with top two getting first round byes.  It's very likely that Cumberland will go 0-10 and make the playoffs.

The 6A region Franklin County is in only has 8 teams also, so all 8 make the playoffs.  At least Franklin County has won a couple of games though, albeit against smaller competition.

And this is a better system how???

1 minute ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I like the way its formatted now to help on travel, but I don't like how Region C will host D no matter the record. Doesn't make any sense.

THIS SHOULD BE BASED ON POWER POINTS,if not why even have power points, but again the VHSL -principles in central VA find a way to keep the semi finals in their back yard. It used to be "BAD FIELDS"now there as much turf here as anywhere,now they say rotate regions, but that will change next year, and at the risk of getting HAMMER SMACKED ,i say they are all sons who do not know their fathers

2 hours ago, Counts said:

In this system the 1st 3 rounds will be relatively free of crazy travel times

I prefer the system of the previous years better, but most everyone who knows me already knows that.  I'd rather not play Lee, Union or Battle again in the playoffs.  Well, maybe Union because that first game was pretty fun a couple of weeks ago... but the Lee game was nerve wracking.  I'm pretty sure the Battle game in a couple of weeks will be also.

1 hour ago, jarhead24219 said:

THIS SHOULD BE BASED ON POWER POINTS,if not why even have power points, but again the VHSL -principles in central VA find a way to keep the semi finals in their back yard. It used to be "BAD FIELDS"now there as much turf here as anywhere,now they say rotate regions, but that will change next year, and at the risk of getting HAMMER SMACKED ,i say they are all sons who do not know their fathers

Relax sunshine.  I'm sure next year this will be reversed with D hosting C.  This is the only thing that bugs me about Union fans is that y'all whine like crazy about having to travel, same as Norton fans.  I would be honored to still be playing and to get to travel to see more of the state.  And also look at it this way... if you're making that trip to Appo this year, it means you're in the final 4.

6 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Relax sunshine.  I'm sure next year this will be reversed with D hosting C.  This is the only thing that bugs me about Union fans is that y'all whine like crazy about having to travel, same as Norton fans.  I would be honored to still be playing and to get to travel to see more of the state.  And also look at it this way... if you're making that trip to Appo this year, it means you're in the final 4.

It use to be each region stayed home 2 years and then 2 years away but not sure how it is now.

6 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I prefer the system of the previous years better, but most everyone who knows me already knows that.  I'd rather not play Lee, Union or Battle again in the playoffs.  Well, maybe Union because that first game was pretty fun a couple of weeks ago... but the Lee game was nerve wracking.  I'm pretty sure the Battle game in a couple of weeks will be also.

I don't think it's whining about the travel so much as it's been higher seed hosts lower seed, aka power point winner. So, if the Region D winner has to travel to the Region C winner because they have a higher rating then so be it, but not just "because."

Ultimately, it doesn't matter because if Union is fortunate enough to be the Region D winner, I will HAPPILY travel to Appo, Giles, Glenvar or wherever.

2 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I don't think it's whining about the travel so much as it's been higher seed hosts lower seed, aka power point winner. So, if the Region D winner has to travel to the Region C winner because they have a higher rating then so be it, but not just "because."

Ultimately, it doesn't matter because if Union is fortunate enough to be the Region D winner, I will HAPPILY travel to Appo, Giles, Glenvar or wherever.

I've just seen it two years ago with Clarke County, and last year with Dan River and Appo.  If you're blessed enough to get to game 14, as I think you will be, enjoy the ride and go kick some Raider backside.  

8 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I like the way its formatted now to help on travel, but I don't like how Region C will host D no matter the record. Doesn't make any sense.

As long as it rotates every year, I have no problem with it. It was like that for over 30 years and worked fine. I would prefer the title game to rotate yearly between the champs of A/B vs C/D as well. I liked the old format except when they started determining divisions based on enrollments within each region. From the start, they could've just redrawn regions and determined division placement on a statewide basis. Would've worked out fine and had no huge enrollment disparities ala a division 1 team from region b having twice the enrollment of a region d division 1 team...and the two meeting to decide a state title. I know I'm in the minority with that view, but I'm also in the minority being fine with only allowing districts comprised of div 1&2 or 3&4 or 5&6...and then taking only the top team from each division per district for playoff births. But, the way I look at it, if you aren't tge top team in your division in your district, you don't have a gripe if you miss the playoffs. That would kill the need for power points besides use for initial playoff seedings. I'd be fine with it, though.

On 9/23/2017 at 4:00 PM, BigWinners said:

A little of both from what I gather. Havent played any really great teams but have beat some solid teams. And from what I've read and heard, Marion is a very solid team that executes well and has some playmakers.

Edit-We will find out about them, they still have to play Graham, Richlands, and VA High. Lebanon next week for them. They'll crush GC. Likely finish 8-2 or 7-3. 

Should be interesting how they match up with Graham & Richlands then. In football, sometimes you just cannot predict and a team manages an unforeseen miracle.