Wise Central @ Abingdon

Falcon Mania

10 minutes ago, Widespread_Panic said:

Why? He's the guy that only won 1 game in 2 years with a team that made the playoffs the year after he left with the same players. 

Not really the same. Dalton came in the next year. He rushed for over 1000 yards as a freshman. Also Jessie had 700 or more yards 

1 game is two years with the same bunch that made playoffs after he left.  He had them when they were fresh and sophs.  He must have done a good job of getting them ready.  Owens was winning with Reed's team.  Lets see how WC does now that Owens has got the kids from 9th grade on up.  Not saying he a bad coach...just saying Reed laid a good foundation there for him.  Reed winning at Abingdon and he will continue to.  Give Reed two to three years and he get build a program.  He proved it at Wise and at Ab.  And if your don't think Reed is partly responsible for Central's success,  your are crazy. 

GC needs to get rid of Roberts and bring Reed back....Reed is a proven winner, Football, Volleyball, Track, GC Baseball...it don't matter.

Roberts is a proven loser and it don't matter either....whatever he does, he fails at

1 hour ago, who? said:

1 game is two years with the same bunch that made playoffs after he left.  He had them when they were fresh and sophs.  He must have done a good job of getting them ready.  Owens was winning with Reed's team.  Lets see how WC does now that Owens has got the kids from 9th grade on up.  Not saying he a bad coach...just saying Reed laid a good foundation there for him.  Reed winning at Abingdon and he will continue to.  Give Reed two to three years and he get build a program.  He proved it at Wise and at Ab.  And if your don't think Reed is partly responsible for Central's success,  your are crazy

GC needs to get rid of Roberts and bring Reed back....Reed is a proven winner, Football, Volleyball, Track, GC Baseball...it don't matter.

Roberts is a proven loser and it don't matter either....whatever he does, he fails at

Guess I'm crazy. Don't know what he did at GC, but I know what he did at Central. Took a 6-4 playoff team and went 3-7 the 1st year, 1-9 the 2nd and relieved of his duties before the 3rd.

1 hour ago, who? said:

1 game is two years with the same bunch that made playoffs after he left.  He had them when they were fresh and sophs.  He must have done a good job of getting them ready.  Owens was winning with Reed's team.  Lets see how WC does now that Owens has got the kids from 9th grade on up.  Not saying he a bad coach...just saying Reed laid a good foundation there for him.  Reed winning at Abingdon and he will continue to.  Give Reed two to three years and he get build a program.  He proved it at Wise and at Ab.  And if your don't think Reed is partly responsible for Central's success,  your are crazy. 

I believe Sturgill had the most to do with AHS' success the past couple season.

13 hours ago, who? said:

just saying Reed laid a good foundation there for him.  Reed winning at Abingdon and he will continue to.  Give Reed two to three years and he get build a program.  He proved it at Wise and at Ab.  And if your don't think Reed is partly responsible for Central's success,  your are crazy. 

The only foundation Reed laid was uniting the Wise community in disliking him and most of his staff quitting on him. Look at the turnover on his staff at Abingdon this year. I don't give any credit of Wise's success to Reed unless their dislike of him lit a fire under the players and coaches to prove he was the problem. 

Last year he had 20 plus seniors and lost to a bad Northside team in the first round of the playoffs. This year their schedule is weak. I would love to see him back at Gate City but I doubt they would hire him. 

Abingdon is as good team in Southwest Va.   They don't have Colobro coaching or Sturgill at QB, and they should be undefeated ( loss to a good Pulaski team).  They playing a 3A schedule...that don't sound weak to me

11 hours ago, who? said:

Abingdon is as good team in Southwest Va.   They don't have Colobro coaching or Sturgill at QB, and they should be undefeated ( loss to a good Pulaski team).  They playing a 3A schedule...that don't sound weak to me

3/4ths of their non conference schedule is 3A+, that's true.  However, I am not sure that Christiansburg and Hidden Valley could beat the majority of 2A Region D teams.

And in the case of Christiansburg, I think they would lose to the top tier of 1A Region C & D teams.

5 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

3/4ths of their non conference schedule is 3A+, that's true.  However, I am not sure that Christiansburg and Hidden Valley could beat the majority of 2A Region D teams.

And in the case of Christiansburg, I think they would lose to the top tier of 1A Region C & D teams.

Since I've seen both Christiansburg and Hidden Valley play, I will comment here.  No a 1A team could not beat Cburg.  Be competitive with them maybe, but probably not beat them.  There are several 2A teams that would struggle to beat them also.  That being said some 2A teams could win versus Cburg.  Hidden Valley is a different story.  They are actually a pretty good team despite their 0-5 record.  Hidden Valley would be a very good team if they played in SWVA.  Union, Graham and possibly Virginia High are the only 2A teams that i would see beating Hidden Valley.  As for any 1A teams, HVHS beats 1A teams hands down.  Shear size, speed, and depth alone makes HVHS at more of an advantage than any 1A school.

35 minutes ago, Falcon Mania said:

Since I've seen both Christiansburg and Hidden Valley play, I will comment here.  No a 1A team could not beat Cburg.  Be competitive with them maybe, but probably not beat them.  There are several 2A teams that would struggle to beat them also.  That being said some 2A teams could win versus Cburg.  Hidden Valley is a different story.  They are actually a pretty good team despite their 0-5 record.  Hidden Valley would be a very good team if they played in SWVA.  Union, Graham and possibly Virginia High are the only 2A teams that i would see beating Hidden Valley.  As for any 1A teams, HVHS beats 1A teams hands down.  Shear size, speed, and depth alone makes HVHS at more of an advantage than any 1A school.

I would take both Galax and George Wythe over Christiansburg.  We'll actually get to see how Galax does against a similar level of opponent this week, because they play at 3A Northside this week.  I think Richlands could beat Hidden Valley.  You left them out.  And Richlands is better than Virginia High.

41 minutes ago, Falcon Mania said:

Giles wears them out every preseason.   Now I know it's preseason but this has went on for years and more years than not it's usually obvious who the better team is and it's usually the Spartans.

6 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I would take both Galax and George Wythe over Christiansburg.  We'll actually get to see how Galax does against a similar level of opponent this week, because they play at 3A Northside this week.  I think Richlands could beat Hidden Valley.  You left them out.  And Richlands is better than Virginia High.

If you are talking about Richlands last year I wholeheartedly agree.  This year, I'm not sure.  HVHS has a really good QB and their running back is as hard a runner as I've seen.  Kinda puts me in mind of the Zirkle kid from Union. 

I can't say RHS is better than VHS.  But time will tell.

Not sure I would take Galax over Northside.

Cburg plays hard, but their issue is execution and turnovers.  Athlete wise they have plenty of athletes.  Its just the mental mistakes that cost them games.

23 hours ago, Falcon Mania said:

I don't think either Christiansburg or Hidden Valley are that great. Abingdon has 4 competitive games coming up with VHS, Ridgeview, Union and Lee. That should measure how good they are before they lose their first round playoff game.