Bluefield vs Richlands

tornado99

Bluefield is obviously a good team. But let's be honest, since the opener against graham who have they played? No offense to those teams but richlands is not tazewell or Princeton even if the blues are a step down from the last couple of years. This is a richlands team that has seen A LOT of talent in the last 3 games. They're gonna be prepared and hungry to knock the beavers off their dam and right the ship. 

I think Mookie and Truck are too much. It'll be a shootout... but those two are gonna be the difference. Richlands is a very good team but I just don't think they have the athletes to make a play like they've had in past years. With maybe an exception or two... I think Mookie is the best two way player in the area. I see it being a 31-21 or 35-21 Bluefield win. 

The only way I see Richlands winning is scoring early and making Bluefield throw the ball.. which I'm not sure they can do. 

23 minutes ago, Onceadog said:

I think Mookie and Truck are too much. It'll be a shootout... but those two are gonna be the difference. Richlands is a very good team but I just don't think they have the athletes to make a play like they've had in past years. With maybe an exception or two... I think Mookie is the best two way player in the area. I see it being a 31-21 or 35-21 Bluefield win. 

The only way I see Richlands winning is scoring early and making Bluefield throw the ball.. which I'm not sure they can do. 

Blue wind in the end

The RB tandem I saw is the best I have seen in a long time.  Mookie is very shifty and able to make cuts and weave in and out through traffic.  The other, let's just say there is a reason he is called Truck.  More like a Mack truck running through and over players.  I know we didn't have size against them but still impressive.  Hard to get a deep ball on them but crossing and simple out routes seem to be there all night.  They don't hold the line as well as others I have seen.  I just don't see Richlands with their lack of offense being able to keep up in this one.  Look for turnovers to be the key in this one.  Bluefield by 14

54 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

This is going to be a 1-score game, whichever way it goes.  I think Bluefield has the edge, but wouldn't be surprised if an inspired Richlands team comes away victorious.  Both of those teams have lines that can knock you into tomorrow.

I would agree with this more if it were at Richlands.  Since it is at Mitchell, I stand by the 2 scores.

If it was in Richlands, I'd be much more inclined to pick the Blues, but Beaver has a great home-field advantage (some would argue that it has to do with officiating, but I'm not going to go there)

I think RHS can pull it off if they can build on the passing game that started to shine last week with Moir at QB and if they can shut down "The Truck" and Mookie. Thankfully the Blues have one of their best front 7s in recent years. I'll take Richlands to rebound in a close one.

Richlands 28
Bluefield 24

Also, not-so-fun-fact: this is the first time since 1999 that Richlands has lost 3 straight games; before most of their current seniors were born

2 hours ago, V-Cats said:

If it was in Richlands, I'd be much more inclined to pick the Blues, but Beaver has a great home-field advantage (some would argue that it has to do with officiating, but I'm not going to go there)

I think RHS can pull it off if they can build on the passing game that started to shine last week with Moir at QB and if they can shut down "The Truck" and Mookie. Thankfully the Blues have one of their best front 7s in recent years. I'll take Richlands to rebound in a close one.

Richlands 28
Bluefield 24

Also, not-so-fun-fact: this is the first time since 1999 that Richlands has lost 3 straight games; before most of their current seniors were born

They lost 3 straight to end the 2000 season and the last game of 2013 and the first two of 2014. If they lose it would be the first time that they have lost 4 straight since 1999.

Having seen one team on tape and one team in person, I think I can make a pick on this one with at least some knowledge of each team.  Bluefield is fast and well coached.  Richlands is very well coached and will get the best of Bluefield on the line of scrimmage.  Bluefield has not yet played or seen anything resembling the line of Richlands.  Graham's is pretty dang good, but it ain't Richlands on the line of scrimmage.  Bluefield has met one team with a really, really good line on both sides of the ball in Giles which was a scrimmage, and Giles bested them.  No offense to Bluefield, but the schedule in WV AA isn't exactly a juggernaut.   Richlands wins and only punts the ball 2 times with both running and passing.  Bluefield scores on 3 long athletic plays, but doesn't manage a passing threat or sustained drive.

Richlands 35,

Bluefield 24

I think Bluefield is the better team but I think Bluefields play calling will play right into Richlands' strengths. 

They'll have a good shot if they stack the box, don't let Mookie get outside, & force Cooper to throw a lot. 

I'd give BHS the edge at home, something like 31-21.

51 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

They lost 3 straight to end the 2000 season and the last game of 2013 and the first two of 2014. If they lose it would be the first time that they have lost 4 straight since 1999.

Hard for me to count the 13/14 span since it splits seasons

On 9/26/2017 at 10:31 AM, V-Cats said:

Richlands 28
Bluefield 24

If they were to lose a fourth in a row, how far does that go back? Not trying to jinx them just curious. I can't see Mance not starting Brown, a  principal's son & Superintendent's grandson even though Moir did a good job. 

You can forget that gridiron60 they'll never make that change! #6 should be QB, #37 TE, #45 FB, #44 RB and they should run the power I straight down the field on teams and rotate #34 & #3 in at RB! Start working the field on short 5 to 15 yd passes to receivers #21, 23, 11 and your TE that'll open up for the deep pass later! But I don't know nothing I'm just an old retired coach that loves the game of football and don't get me wrong I think coach Mance and his staff does a great job I'm just saying what I would do if I had that team cause it's nothing like the teams Richlands has had in the past with a lot of speed so you just need to change it to what personal you do have! I got Richlands winning 28 to 14!!!

5 hours ago, BlackWolf5 said:

You can forget that gridiron60 they'll never make that change! #6 should be QB, #37 TE, #45 FB, #44 RB and they should run the power I straight down the field on teams and rotate #34 & #3 in at RB! Start working the field on short 5 to 15 yd passes to receivers #21, 23, 11 and your TE that'll open up for the deep pass later! But I don't know nothing I'm just an old retired coach that loves the game of football and don't get me wrong I think coach Mance and his staff does a great job I'm just saying what I would do if I had that team cause it's nothing like the teams Richlands has had in the past with a lot of speed so you just need to change it to what personal you do have! I got Richlands winning 28 to 14!!!

Well, you admit they're not going to make any of the changes you suggested, but then pick them to beat the #1 team in WV by 2 touchdowns.. so maybe they shouldn't make any changes?

They may be slated as the #1 team in West Virginia, but I don't think they have a chance to take out Mingo central or Bridgeport, though there seems to be some turmoil there. Though next weeks game against point pleasant shouldn't give some insight on that as well.

This will be one of the better games of the year in my opinion. No one can argue that these two programs are two of the top programs in our area. I have seen Bluefield play but I have only listened to Richlands on the radio. This game will be back and forth all night, but I have to go with the Blues in this one. If you look at the schedule of Bluefield so far and then look at Richlands, there is no debate and no comparison on who has had the tougher schedule. Other than Graham, Bluefield's schedule so far has been a cake walk. That is why I give the edge to Richlands in this game. Their strength of schedule will have them prepared for the Beavers and the rest of their games from this point forward. Bluefield is a run heavy offense. If Richlands can contain Mookie and tackle Truck and not let him break away for long gains, Richlands will win this game. Bluefield has a very underrated defense and they tackle very well. Richlands needs to keep their offense on the field as long as possible and wear down the defense and they will be just fine. If the game was being played at Richlands, I would say Richlands wins by 14-17 points, but with it being at Mitchell, they will win by 3-7 points.  

I hate I am going to miss it (church functions always come first) lol

But anyway.  This game as a Blues fan worries me.  Our team speed is down quite a bit this year to say the least.  Basham exposed that last week in just one half.   We all know what kind of speed Mookie has.  Our front 7 is going to have to play a great game tonight.  The Truck will be a load.  #33 was a load from William Byrd last week but after Basham came back in, I wish #33 would have kept running lol

Sorry, I seem to be jumping around here.  Richlands needs to come up with a good offensive game plan.  Utilize some of the other guys on offense more.  #44 should be given a chance to run the ball.  Who knows, maybe Mance is just waiting for the right opportunity to give it a shot.  #11 has some great hands and should be targeted more.   The 2nd halves of the last two games have killed us.  Part of that may the fact the defense has spent a lot of time on the field the last couple of games. 

I am looking for it to be a great game tonight.  I am going to say Blues 31-24.  Are those my Blue colored glasses talking?? :) only time will tell :)

GO BLUES!!