Marion at Gate City

Canes00

1 hour ago, Canes00 said:

Why do I have a funny feeling Gate City finally shows up and plays this week?

I'm crying.

Great opportunity for Coach Carroll to evaluate some young kids. Marion fans should sit on the field house end and enjoy as GC fans heckle the 'coaching staff'. Marion has an 8th grade cheerleader go over 100 yards on the ground. GC kids leave the field at halftime, get in their cars, and drive home. The Dumpster Fire of 2017 rages on. 

Marion 84 GC 6

6 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

I'm crying.

Great opportunity for Coach Carroll to evaluate some young kids. Marion fans should sit on the field house end and enjoy as GC fans heckle the 'coaching staff'. Marion has an 8th grade cheerleader go over 100 yards on the ground. GC kids leave the field at halftime, get in their cars, and drive home. The Dumpster Fire of 2017 rages on. 

Marion 84 GC 6

LOL

11 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

It's never fun losing on homecoming. It wasn't fun watching it in 2012 when JSB took one from us. But this is going to be a drumming. 

Marion 47

Gate City 0

The giant 'Welcome To Hell' homecoming sign that the kids hang from the train trestle now has all new context! 

Should Marion be concerned about playing a winless Gate City team Friday?  You bet your boots! Gate City is having a very tough year. They are playing out of character....... In other words, the type of play GC has shown is not the Gate City everyone has grown accustomed to seeing. Marion should realize that GC is better than their record. Marion should prepare for GC just as though GC was unbeaten.

Marion has a very good football team. When they take the field Friday, they will be playing a team that would love to knock them off. The Canes best be prepared for a dog fight. This may be Marion's toughest game so far this year, imo. This will not be a cake walk. Best of luck to both teams.

GC proved Friday night that they can throw the ball when they let Sallee stay in the pocket and attempt shorter passes instead of a streak every play when he is rolling out. (Pats self on back because I preached it for 7 weeks now). DeAndre Mack probably isn't a runningback, but he has potential to being a threat offensively for GC the next 2 seasons. Maybe he is best suited in the slot. 

That is the only positives that really came out of last week. It's still very concerning we cannot run the football, cannot get stops on defense, and our play caller ditches what has worked for 70 yards then tries to go back with his non-existent offense. Webb will be a big loss for GC as he plays both sides of the ball. He will miss the rest of the season and needs surgery to repair his knee. Prayers for him, it's never easy to see a young man's career ended due to an injury. 

So if GC can come out, throw the ball around and stay away from the under center stuff unless in short yardage they can perform better than they have. It will not be a big enough change to put the Devils in the win column. All I can hope for the last 4 weeks is for the boys in blue is to hang in there, fight every down, play for pride. Maybe one day if these boys are faced with adversity, they can fight threw it, and keep chuggin along even when things are not going their way. Maybe they pull out this memory and say "I made it then, I can make it now".  I talked to a few players Friday, I simply told them "hang in there" with a pat on the back. These players are playing their hearts out despite the crappy situation they are in. Some of them told me they are fighting as hard as they can and won't quit, even if they are winless.  As a fan, giving 100% for the name on the front of your jersey and for you brothers is all I can ask for right now. 

Will the upset happen on Friday? Highly doubtful, but I just hope we can get these kids threw the season without anymore serious injuries and start fixing things that need to be fixed in about month for the sake of our program. 

I know I've rubbed a few people wrong on here this season. I just hate to lose and hate seeing these boy's hard work since the day after the Glenvar loss go to wayside. These boys (and myself) had high hopes about this season. Some things started unraveling after the South loss and it's been a downhill spiral since. My opinion is that the program, players, and lastly the fans deserve better than what we have right now. We need to fix things that need to be fixed in the off season and quickly. Maybe the guy I thought wasn't the guy might actually be the guy after seeing him cheer on the players during the games, make his rounds and encourage his former players after games on Friday's, and he is actually helping the kids with injuries during his planning period with treatment. Maybe he deserves a shot at the helm.

Safe travels down I-81 to Legion Field on Friday 'Cane fans.

1 hour ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

GC proved Friday night that they can throw the ball when they let Sallee stay in the pocket and attempt shorter passes instead of a streak every play when he is rolling out. (Pats self on back because I preached it for 7 weeks now). DeAndre Mack probably isn't a runningback, but he has potential to being a threat offensively for GC the next 2 seasons. Maybe he is best suited in the slot. 

That is the only positives that really came out of last week. It's still very concerning we cannot run the football, cannot get stops on defense, and our play caller ditches what has worked for 70 yards then tries to go back with his non-existent offense. Webb will be a big loss for GC as he plays both sides of the ball. He will miss the rest of the season and needs surgery to repair his knee. Prayers for him, it's never easy to see a young man's career ended due to an injury. 

So if GC can come out, throw the ball around and stay away from the under center stuff unless in short yardage they can perform better than they have. It will not be a big enough change to put the Devils in the win column. All I can hope for the last 4 weeks is for the boys in blue is to hang in there, fight every down, play for pride. Maybe one day if these boys are faced with adversity, they can fight threw it, and keep chuggin along even when things are not going their way. Maybe they pull out this memory and say "I made it then, I can make it now".  I talked to a few players Friday, I simply told them "hang in there" with a pat on the back. These players are playing their hearts out despite the crappy situation they are in. Some of them told me they are fighting as hard as they can and won't quit, even if they are winless.  As a fan, giving 100% for the name on the front of your jersey and for you brothers is all I can ask for right now. 

Will the upset happen on Friday? Highly doubtful, but I just hope we can get these kids threw the season without anymore serious injuries and start fixing things that need to be fixed in about month for the sake of our program. 

I know I've rubbed a few people wrong on here this season. I just hate to lose and hate seeing these boy's hard work since the day after the Glenvar loss go to wayside. These boys (and myself) had high hopes about this season. Some things started unraveling after the South loss and it's been a downhill spiral since. My opinion is that the program, players, and lastly the fans deserve better than what we have right now. We need to fix things that need to be fixed in the off season and quickly. Maybe the guy I thought wasn't the guy might actually be the guy after seeing him cheer on the players during the games, make his rounds and encourage his former players after games on Friday's, and he is actually helping the kids with injuries during his planning period with treatment. Maybe he deserves a shot at the helm.

Safe travels down I-81 to Legion Field on Friday 'Cane fans.

If Gate City comes to play and gets off to good start they've got a shot and I'm being serious. Marion has gotten off to a slow start in almost every game they've played this season and the starting QB left last weeks game with an ankle injury I don't know if he'll play Friday. I'm looking forward to coming to Legion again I've only been one time and that's been many years ago.

I remember my grandpa saying beware son injured animals always are the most dangerous animals. 

As for the Canes, I saw them play up this way with a friend of mine. GC may get a nice win. The Canes seem really soft and they really have not played anyone. I hear it's Homecoming at GC?  Usually our HC games are when emotions are the greatest. 

GC 14

Marion 13

The fans deserve better? Not sure I can agree with that. As they do pay to get in but outside of that everywhere they are usually to criticial or too overconfident. I am not trying to  ruffle your feathers but I think if kids played the game and no one attended there would be far less problems in sports. Now I know the money pays the bills and fans can fire up the team but for every great fan there are two that are bad. I am sure the fans on this site want what is best for the program but all of this talk has only hurt your program. The kids and eveyone is reading all about the program and that doesn't help. Wish you guys the best in what ever direction the school chooses to take. This area needs strong football tradiotn and Gate City is one of the finest.

Question here? When does the Sullivan County schools close and combine? I bet that Gate City will see an big increase of kids(50-90)at least with DB getting some too. That alone should get the football program back on its feet, as long as the right person is at the helm. I have said it before , this didn't start last year but under someone's else's watch, in the peanut and middle school feeder programs

The new school is suppose to open in 2019. It combines North, South and most of Central it will have around 1700 students and be 6A. The Colonial Heights Middle School is loaded with Talent and the base of athletes will come from there. I can't see GC getting 90 students, because I don't know if they can handle 90 students. If the kids come they will come through the elementary system, there may be half dozen of so from Bloomingdale and maybe a few from Rock Springs area but that shouldn't cause a dramatic spike in enrollment.

35 minutes ago, SXSW said:

The new school is suppose to open in 2019. It combines North, South and most of Central it will have around 1700 students and be 6A. The Colonial Heights Middle School is loaded with Talent and the base of athletes will come from there. I can't see GC getting 90 students, because I don't know if they can handle 90 students. If the kids come they will come through the elementary system, there may be half dozen of so from Bloomingdale and maybe a few from Rock Springs area but that shouldn't cause a dramatic spike in enrollment.

That's not going to be a fun drive from Bloomingdale to the airport. Colonial Heights will be more of a nightmare than it already is.

43 minutes ago, GC_Quincy said:

That's not going to be a fun drive from Bloomingdale to the airport. Colonial Heights will be more of a nightmare than it already is.

That place is a traffic disaster. If I was a North student then I would make plans to attend GC when it happens.