12 hours ago, TTownTigers said:

Top 5

Union

Bluefield

Graham

Giles

Abingdon

"Receiving Votes"- Fort Chiswell, Marion, Abingdon, Virginia, Narrows

When it's all said and done, which team will do the best or go the longest in the playoffs of all the teams above?  Giles.

Why do you have Abingdon in the top 5 AND receiving votes?

1 minute ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I would say the state championship game representatives in 1A and 2A will come from Region C out of the C/D semifinal.

1A will be Galax, 2A will be Appomattox. But I think that the overall state champion comes from Region A or B for both 1A and 2A. Just my opinion

18 hours ago, GMan said:

LOOK AT THE LOGO AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE...THE THREE SOUTHERN-MOST COUNTIES IN WV ARE INCLUDED IN THE COVERAGE OF THIS WEBSITE.

SWVA stands for both SouthWest VirginiA and Southern West VirginiA.

If you have a problem with it, see the owner...

kGfoq.gif

I'm pretty sure that we learned in school in geography class that West Virginia is abbreviated WV if so that means it would read SWV. So Bluefield should not be considered. Just saying now bring down your hammer.

23 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I would say the state championship game representatives in 1A and 2A will come from Region C out of the C/D semifinal.

Pretty good bet.  D stands for "down" this season.  

1D ball is as weak as I can ever remember it in SWVA.  Honaker is down.  Hurley is a shell of its former self.  Burton, too.  You're probably looking at a Grundy/Chilhowie region final, and that's if the seeding plays out correctly.  Maybe PH challenges there?  Castlewood isn't at the caliber of the other 3.  It's a mess.

2D ball also isn't its normal self.  I think Union with Turner would've stood the best chance of advancing, and it's possible that their defense can keep them close to Appomattox.  I question Graham's attention to detail and stamina over a 60-minute slugfest.  Richlands has its "worst" team in 13 years, which is still saying something, considering I have them pegged for a rematch with Union in the region championship.  Marion is notch below those three, as is Ridgeview and Virginia High.

I don't know anything about the West Virginia side except Bluefield, but the fact that UVAO and Bluefield Researcher have James Monroe in the top 10 is all I need to know about putting them in the top 10 as well.

1. Union
  2. Bluefield
  3. Graham
  4. Giles
  5. Abingdon
  6. Virginia High
  7. James Monroe
  8. Pulaski County
  9. Ridgeview
  10. Marion

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:34 AM, SWVAgridiron said:

1A will be Galax, 2A will be Appomattox. But I think that the overall state champion comes from Region A or B for both 1A and 2A. Just my opinion

I really think this is the year to get Galax for the SWVA teams and I think someone will.

54 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I know they aren't as good but neither is the rest of 1A West. GW is the only team in C or D that I think can beat them 

After seeing Chilhowie, it wouldn't be crazy to consider them as well. They're a pretty tough 1A team. They lost by a combined 8 points to Marion and GW. From what I can tell, they are on par with GW. They had GW down 14-0 at one point and GW had to block a game tying FG at the end to escape with the win. Their blowout loss to VHS came only when the Bearcats' offense finally woke up at the end of the 3rd, and looked like normal thru the 4th.

John Battle and Ridgeview and Chilhowie and George Wythe can play with Galax.  All 5 are very close.  By season's end, it doesn't matter because neither of the 5 are getting close to a Class 1A state title this year.  The East had 3 teams (Riverheads, Essex, Sussex)  that are at LEAST 15 points better and 2 of those 3 teams in the East are 20+ points better, and 1 of those teams (Riverheads) is 25-30 points better. Union, Graham, and Giles have a better chance of winning the whole thing in Class 2A even with Appo in the picture compared to a SWVA team winning a title in 1A this year.  Next year is different and things change, but for this year, it's not happening for SWVA in 1A.   As a matter of fact, if Appo wins the state title against a team from the West or East (however the playoffs work out), I bet the score of that game is closer than the score of the 1A team in the East in their state title game, IF....again...IF that state title game is against someone in the West.  I don't know how the playoffs workout, but if their is crossbracketing or whatever, then two teams from the East will be playing in the Class 1A state title game, again, if the playoff brackets allow it.   I don't want to get into the playoff system and cross bracketing, etc.  The point I'm making is, the gap between Riverheads and the rest of the 1A West is greater this year, 2017, than the gap between Appo and the rest of 2A Virginia (Union, Graham, Giles, RE Lee, Goochland, Poquoson, etc).

4 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

John Battle and Ridgeview and Chilhowie and George Wythe can play with Galax.  All 5 are very close.  By season's end, it doesn't matter because neither of the 4 are getting close to a Class 1A state title this year.  The East had 3 teams (Riverheads, Essex, Sussex)  that are at LEAST 15 points better and 2 of those 3 teams in the East are 20+ points better, and 1 of those teams (Riverheads) is 25-30 points better. Union, Graham, and Giles have a better chance of winning the whole thing in Class 2A even with Appo in the picture compared to a SWVA team winning a title in 1A this year.  Next year is different and things change, but for this year, it's not happening for SWVA in 1A.   As a matter of fact, if Appo wins the state title against a team from the West or East (however the playoffs work out), I bet the score of that game is closer than the score of the 1A team in the East in their state title game, IF....again...IF that state title game is against someone in the West.  I don't know how the playoffs workout, but if their is crossbracketing or whatever, then two teams from the East will be playing in the Class 1A state title game, again, if the playoff brackets allow it. 

The safest bet of all time is that JSB and Ridgeview won't sniff the 1A State Title game ?

5 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

John Battle and Ridgeview and Chilhowie and George Wythe can play with Galax.  All 5 are very close.  By season's end, it doesn't matter because neither of the 4 are getting close to a Class 1A state title this year.  The East had 3 teams (Riverheads, Essex, Sussex)  that are at LEAST 15 points better and 2 of those 3 teams in the East are 20+ points better, and 1 of those teams (Riverheads) is 25-30 points better. Union, Graham, and Giles have a better chance of winning the whole thing in Class 2A even with Appo in the picture compared to a SWVA team winning a title in 1A this year.  Next year is different and things change, but for this year, it's not happening for SWVA in 1A.   As a matter of fact, if Appo wins the state title against a team from the West or East (however the playoffs work out), I bet the score of that game is closer than the score of the 1A team in the East in their state title game, IF....again...IF that state title game is against someone in the West.  I don't know how the playoffs workout, but if their is crossbracketing or whatever, then two teams from the East will be playing in the Class 1A state title game, again, if the playoff brackets allow it. 

Battle and Ridgeview are 2A schools

3 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

John Battle and Ridgeview and Chilhowie and George Wythe can play with Galax.  All 5 are very close.  By season's end, it doesn't matter because neither of the 4 are getting close to a Class 1A state title this year.  The East had 3 teams (Riverheads, Essex, Sussex)  that are at LEAST 15 points better and 2 of those 3 teams in the East are 20+ points better, and 1 of those teams (Riverheads) is 25-30 points better. Union, Graham, and Giles have a better chance of winning the whole thing in Class 2A even with Appo in the picture compared to a SWVA team winning a title in 1A this year.  Next year is different and things change, but for this year, it's not happening for SWVA in 1A. 

Many 2A teams in C and D could beat Galax but 1A C and D is weak with the exception of Galax and GW and I guess Chilhowie. And I agree that 1A state champion comes from A or B

1 minute ago, Bearcat Dad said:

The safest bet of all time is that JSB and Ridgeview won't sniff the 1A State Title game ?

Didn't know about Battle and Ridgeview, but no......the same applies.  The chances of any other team in Class 1A winning a state title this year are similar, even with Battle and Ridgeview being 2A.  That leaves Chilhowie and George Wythe as the only other 2 in the West than can play with Galax.  Again, Riverheads is 25-30 points at LEAST better than all 3 of them.  Even though Battle and Ridgeview are 2A, go ahead and add them in there also.  Riverheads beats both of them by at least 25-30 also.

Just now, TTownTigers said:

Didn't know about Battle and Ridgeview, but no......the same applies.  The chances of any other team in Class 1A winning a state title this year are similar, even with Battle and Ridgeview being 2A.  That leaves Chilhowie and George Wythe as the only other 2 in the West than can play with Galax.  Again, Riverheads is 25-30 points at LEAST better than all 3 of them.  Even though Battle and Ridgeview are 2A, go ahead and add them in there also.  Riverheads beats both of them by at least 25-30 also.

I agree with you, I was just kidding around. The power schools in 1A and 2A have come from the East recently, for sure.?

25 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

I agree with you, I was just kidding around. The power schools in 1A and 2A have come from the East recently, for sure.?

I agree with you on the power schools coming from the East in 1A, but am not sure on 2A.  I think 2A may be a bit closer.  What would help the West in 1A is....

Galax and George Wythe need to be Galax and George Wythe again.  Both appear a bit down this year.  More important, one of the schools in my area really needs to rise up.  Perhaps Appalachia?  LOL, well, that's not going to happen anymore, but some 1A school in this corner needs to become like Galax or George Wythe and supplement the West with another very tough 1A program in far SWVA.  Additionally, something between Wytheville, Bristol, and the Kentucky border becoming a solid program would also benefit (Chilhowie).  Chilhowie is better this year, but it ain't there yet.  In the East, Essex and Sussex are much like George Wythe and Galax.  Both are good programs and they range from outstanding (state title challenging years) to 2nd round of the playoffs and out years, but Riverheads is a beast.  They supposedly lost a ton of seniors and talent last year and just didn't miss a beat.  The team they have this year is supposed to be one year away from next year according to the Richmond Newspaper. 

25 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

I agree with you on the power schools coming from the East in 1A, but am not sure on 2A.  I think 2A may be a bit closer.  What would help the West in 1A is....

Galax and George Wythe need to be Galax and George Wythe again.  Both appear a bit down this year.  More important, one of the schools in my area really needs to rise up.  Perhaps Appalachia?  LOL, well, that's not going to happen anymore, but some 1A school in this corner needs to become like Galax or George Wythe and supplement the West with another very tough 1A program in far SWVA.  Additionally, something between Wytheville, Bristol, and the Kentucky border becoming a solid program would also benefit (Chilhowie).  Chilhowie is better this year, but it ain't there yet.  In the East, Esses and Sussex are much like George Wythe and Galax.  Both are good programs and they range from outstanding (state title challenging years) to 2nd round of the playoffs and out years, but Riverheads is a beast.  They supposedly lost a ton of seniors and talent last year and just didn't miss a beat.  The team they have this year is supposed to be one year away from next year according to the Richmond Newspaper. 

I agree that it's a little closer in 2A. As one of the few teams last year, who had to play both Appomattox and Richlands,  I got to see that no one in either region was close to Appo. Appo has taken about a 1/4 step back this year, but are still the kings of the mountaintop until someone else changes that. From what I'm hearing, both Goochland and Poquoson are better this year and could possibly give Appo fits come playoff time.

As far as comparing them to the West, it's gonna take some very special play from the big boys upfront, to compete with those schools from the East. I've seen Union's lines play. They are stellar(especially defensively). I see Graham's in 2 Fridays, and I won't get to see Giles' unless it's in the playoffs. I will see Richlands', come week 11, but do they have the Skill Players to compete with the East's big dogs, even if their lines are keeping them in the game? I can't answer that one yet.

As far as 1A goes, I'm in complete agreement. I've heard/read about Riverheads. They seem to have a very impressive program at the moment.