New top 5

Dookthecook

I think 1A West as a whole is down this year.  Galax is young, inexperienced, small and lack depth.  George Wythe has been inconsistent with a lot of infighting surrounding the football program.  I see changes on the horizon after talking to some friends over there.  Burton and Honaker are both rebuilding.  Hurley isn't nearly as talented as in recent years.  Radford and Fort Chiswell are no longer 1A programs.

Truthfully, Riverheads should be 2A as well. According to the VADOE website, they have had a higher enrollment than Fort Chiswell and Radford 7 of the past 10 years.  Unless something crazy happens, they will repeat with relative ease. 

18 hours ago, TTownTigers said:

Didn't know about Battle and Ridgeview, but no......the same applies.  The chances of any other team in Class 1A winning a state title this year are similar, even with Battle and Ridgeview being 2A.  That leaves Chilhowie and George Wythe as the only other 2 in the West than can play with Galax.  Again, Riverheads is 25-30 points at LEAST better than all 3 of them.  Even though Battle and Ridgeview are 2A, go ahead and add them in there also.  Riverheads beats both of them by at least 25-30 also.

So, you're a Gate City fan and don't even know who your competition is in your classification and region?  How is that possible?  I wish we were 1A, sure would make getting to Salem in December a whole lot easier.  Absolutely Riverheads would beat us by that margin, but boy I'd sure hate to see what they would do to Gate City.

how many of us remember the game with JI BURTON VS RIVERHEADS? BURTON scores to come within 1 point and they get flagged for ETHAN STEWART signaling touchdown,it was such a bad call/even the VHSL stated that in was a bad call, such BS. Ranks right up there with the LEE UNION GAME NON-CATCH

2 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

how many of us remember the game with JI BURTON VS RIVERHEADS? BURTON scores to come within 1 point and they get flagged for ETHAN STEWART signaling touchdown,it was such a bad call/even the VHSL stated that in was a bad call, such BS. Ranks right up there with the LEE UNION GAME NON-CATCH

I was there for that.   Had it happened in the first game of the day to the team from the SWVA, it may not have been handled as well by the fan base.   And I couldn't blame them either.  That was rough.  Maybe the worst screw job I've ever witnessed in person.

4 minutes ago, SW_VA_boy said:

I was there for that.   Had it happened in the first game of the day to the team from the SWVA, it may not have been handled as well by the fan base.   And I couldn't blame them either.  That was rough.  Maybe the worst screw job I've ever witnessed in person.

WORST CALL EVER ,THE VHSL SAID IT WAS WRONG BUT DID NOTHING, kinda like our goverment

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:49 PM, SWVAgridiron said:

I know they aren't as good but neither is the rest of 1A West. GW is the only team in C or D that I think can beat them 

Laugh if you want but I have a feeling Narrows just might surprise. Just saying

47 minutes ago, honestjohn said:

Is Riverheads enrollment  numbers still 474 this year?

According to VHSL, it has been 474 for several years now.  But according to the official VADOE statistics, it was 519 in 2012-2013 and has deviated very little since. 

http://www.pen.k12.va.us/statistics_reports/enrollment/fall_membership/report_data.shtml

1 hour ago, RCITYHOO said:

Laugh if you want but I have a feeling Narrows just might surprise. Just saying

I'd love to see Narrows take Region C. No laughing here. But besides Giles and Covington they won't be tested again until week 2 of the post season so we shall see

2 minutes ago, Bearcat Bob said:

For those interested in other parts of the state...Central Woodstock just beat Clarke Co 40-0 (at CC on homecoming no less).  I was thinking Clarke was in the state 2A title hunt. 

Clarke isn't the same as they were in 2015. They play a very weak schedule which is why they usually go 10-0 or 9-1 

5 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Clarke isn't the same as they were in 2015. They play a very weak schedule which is why they usually go 10-0 or 9-1 

Not this year...they have beaten 4A Dominion and Handley, 3A Waynesboro and Warren County.  CC's schedule is not weak this year. 

On 10/5/2017 at 9:06 AM, swva_havok_fan said:

So, you're a Gate City fan and don't even know who your competition is in your classification and region?  How is that possible?  I wish we were 1A, sure would make getting to Salem in December a whole lot easier.  Absolutely Riverheads would beat us by that margin, but boy I'd sure hate to see what they would do to Gate City.

When you are 0-7, anything is possible and new learning, reality, and many matters of everyday life seem a bit unclear, lol.  My first concern and final concern and foremost worry and primary worry has always been Gate City, not the competition.  Call me self centered, but that's the way I am.  

Central Woodstock is undefeated. One of the traditional doormats of the Shenandoah Valley. But in 2000 they hired Greg Hatfield (now at Eastern View) and the program has steadily been climbing. After an 0-10 season in 1999 the all time winning % was .353. Since then . 507 and that includes two 1-9 seasons when the current coach, Mike Yew, took over. I like to see traditional poor schools turn things around.