Richlands final record predictions?

BAMABALL01

21 minutes ago, TwhscoachT said:

I do not know the exact system that the Appalachian Official Association uses to select officials for playoff games; but logical speaking, I would assume they would want the best of the best to participate in the playoffs. With the same knowledge and logic used in this thread, if you are not the best, then you are not deserving. 

Generally speaking, the more high profile games, and the bigger games seem to get the better officials.  Everybody has to start somewhere, though.

I like a ranking system myself. Poll each head coach in the region asking them to rank every team except their own. Then, drop each school's highest and lowest ranking to prevent a coach from sandbagging of over-ranking a team. Hypothetically, in a 13 team region, that leaves 10 rankings for each school. Average those 10, and send the top however many to playoffs. That eliminates the "strength of schedule point system" that runs a risk of being very, very flawed.

24 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

I like a ranking system myself. Poll each head coach in the region asking them to rank every team except their own. Then, drop each school's highest and lowest ranking to prevent a coach from sandbagging of over-ranking a team. Hypothetically, in a 13 team region, that leaves 10 rankings for each school. Average those 10, and send the top however many to playoffs. That eliminates the "strength of schedule point system" that runs a risk of being very, very flawed.

The thought is nice but most coaches don't watch or care about most teams in their region until they have to. Even in college, most of the votes are done by the SID. 

11 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

No.  Just no.

Any rating system would have to be as objective as possible, IMO.  Polling of any kind introduces the kind of uncertainty that fuels the kind of controversy that we're already discussing in this thread (and allowing participants within the pool to provide rankings leads to all kinds of foolishness -- like Clemson's unusually high standing in the US News & World Report college rankings).

The system I envision would be assigning points to teams exclusively for non-district wins based on the relative performance of their opponents in other games.  (Basically you would get one point for every game that one of your non-district opponent wins).  But that is also based on my proposal that postseason play should be limited to district champions, and this ratings system would only be used to resolve ties for district titles involving three or more teams. 

On 10/5/2017 at 11:19 AM, jarhead24219 said:

RichlandsAlum , the VHSL could use you, but again your thoughts make to much sense for them to ever use those ideals. We must realize that the real power in the VHSL lies elsewhere beside southwest va, the playoff sites as well as the different classifications are based on their regional needs

Let me acknowledge the fact that I have a great deal of personal respect for Dr. Billy Haun.

That said....  I would consider taking over administration of the VHSL in a capacity as its all-knowing and all-powerful dictator.  But only if the money was right.

On 10/5/2017 at 11:17 AM, swva_havok_fan said:

Very likely, but I would pay to see a Union vs. Belfry or Union vs. Johnson County (KY or TN for that matter) game.  Or even Paintsville, if Paintsville is still as good as they were the last couple of years.

I don't want any more games in Ky. but I wish we could play Belfry just once in Va. maybe at uva-wise.

I think if Richlands knew that less than 5-5 would mean they wouldn't be in the playoffs, they wouldn't have scheduled the schools they did. But as the system stands, for them it makes sense to test themselves early, then even if they barely get in they may be more playoff ready than most teams.