SWVA Best

JGray

Not even close.  Stacy Ervin was a much better all around PLAYER.  He actually played defense too. Although Ervin did shoot the ball Lots and Lots every game, he wasn't a ball hog.. his teammates just depended on him. McClung wants to put on a show Offensively only and is a big time show off where Stacy Ervin was not a show off and was very down to earth.. As far as being the best overall ATHLETE.. Calvin Talford wins in my book.  Mcclung ( Hold Back )   Stacy Ervin ( Hold Back )   Luke Ervin ( Hold Back )   Chad Ervin ( Hold back ) Zac Ervin ( Hold Back ) ✔  

And speaking of Zac..  Zac Ervin is and will be a much better Overall PLAYER than McClung ever thought about being.. once again because he plays defense.  Just because Mac has a famous cousin who is a rapper and he can dunk and is famous on Youtube doesn't mean he's a god.  Social media is the worst thing ever..  And it could be the downfall of McClung.

Although Stacy Ervin did Hold back a year.. ( which was Stupid and his daddy probably told him to just like Mac and Zac ) He was much better than Mac will ever dream of being.  Offensively and Defensively

Calvin Talford and Mac are Similar ONLY due to the fact they both can jump.  McClung is Not to be confused with talford.  Talford would have eat Mac's Lunch back in the day... McClung is just way too Conceited.  Calvin Talford was and still is down to earth and a great person.  He hasn't changed as a person just because he got a lot of attention.  Same as Ervin

Even though anybody with the last name Ervin in the state of virginia is a hold back for Athletic Reasons only and because their parents thought they were going to play pro basketball.. ( same thing with McClung ) it's all about politics.  McClung's dad and Ervin's dad are buddy buddies.  But to answer the question....

McClung is absolutely NOT the best player in SW Virginia Since Ervin and Talford.  He WISHES he were though, and so does his Loyal Followers.

24 minutes ago, Truther1981 said:

Not even close.  Stacy Ervin was a much better all around PLAYER.  He actually played defense too. Although Ervin did shoot the ball Lots and Lots every game, he wasn't a ball hog.. his teammates just depended on him. McClung wants to put on a show Offensively only and is a big time show off where Stacy Ervin was not a show off and was very down to earth.. As far as being the best overall ATHLETE.. Calvin Talford wins in my book.  Mcclung ( Hold Back )   Stacy Ervin ( Hold Back )   Luke Ervin ( Hold Back )   Chad Ervin ( Hold back ) Zac Ervin ( Hold Back ) ✔  

And speaking of Zac..  Zac Ervin is and will be a much better Overall PLAYER than McClung ever thought about being.. once again because he plays defense.  Just because Mac has a famous cousin who is a rapper and he can dunk and is famous on Youtube doesn't mean he's a god.  Social media is the worst thing ever..  And it could be the downfall of McClung.

Although Stacy Ervin did Hold back a year.. ( which was Stupid and his daddy probably told him to just like Mac and Zac ) He was much better than Mac will ever dream of being.  Offensively and Defensively

Calvin Talford and Mac are Similar ONLY due to the fact they both can jump.  McClung is Not to be confused with talford.  Talford would have eat Mac's Lunch back in the day... McClung is just way too Conceited.  Calvin Talford was and still is down to earth and a great person.  He hasn't changed as a person just because he got a lot of attention.  Same as Ervin

Even though anybody with the last name Ervin in the state of virginia is a hold back for Athletic Reasons only and because their parents thought they were going to play pro basketball.. ( same thing with McClung ) it's all about politics.  McClung's dad and Ervin's dad are buddy buddies.  But to answer the question....

McClung is absolutely NOT the best player in SW Virginia Since Ervin and Talford.  He WISHES he were though, and so does his Loyal Followers.

I am baffled. So much hatred for a kid in high school. I just hope you are also a teenager as well, if not, this is entirely embarrassing for you. 

My aren't we salty today!

Best player SINCE, yes. Without a doubt. Best player ever. I don't think so. Talford, Ervin, Trazel Silvers and several others come to mind over the years.

I don't buy the nonsense above about McClung, from what I've seen he's a pretty good kid. Is he a little cocky, sure. But heck, what kid wouldn't be that had that kind of game. He's worked hard and earned the attention he's getting so I hope he enjoys every second of it.

The Nichols brothers from Radford should also be in the conversation.  Those guys were special talents. 

Darris played at West Virginia and is currently an assistant coach at Florida.

Shane played at Wofford and is currently an assistant coach at Murray State.

2 hours ago, Widespread_Panic said:

Going by the offers he holds I'd say yes but he definitely needs to improve his defense and doing the little things that help teams win big games. I would add Adam Hood to the list of great ones. Always thought he was one of the best all around players in SWVA. 

As I tried to tell the Gate City faithful here, his defense is precisely what kept him from getting respectable high-major D1 offers.  

I know it's because I'm from GC that it helps for me to remember him....but I can't believe someone hasn't mentioned Josh Shoemaker yet.  Kid was a brute and went on to play at Wake and played in the Euro league for a while.  Was a legit big man but wasnt used as such at GC.  Would say he has to be one of the best that's came from this area.  

I would have to say McClung is definitely the best since those guys and it's not even close.  Would also say hes got to be in the conversation of being the best ever from SWVA.   

Stacy was a great shooter.  He was too slow to do much else which is why he couldnt cut it at WCU or any other D1 school had he went there.  Pure shooter and there is nothing wrong with that.  McClung is much better overall as a player than Stacy was, but isnt the shooter Stacy was.  I really think McClungs defense probably isnt as bad as it seems sometimes.  I could be wrong but I think GC tries to use him to make explosive plays and stay out of foul trouble.

12 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Stacy was a great shooter.  He was too slow to do much else which is why he couldnt cut it at WCU or any other D1 school had he went there.  Pure shooter and there is nothing wrong with that.  McClung is much better overall as a player than Stacy was, but isnt the shooter Stacy was.  I really think McClungs defense probably isnt as bad as it seems sometimes.  I could be wrong but I think GC tries to use him to make explosive plays and stay out of foul trouble.

I've spoke with the man in charge and that's exactly what they did with McClung last year.  He was essentially given 1 freebie foul but after he landed his 2nd foul he wasnt to even so much as look at an offensive player because it was obvious the team couldn't afford for him to be in foul trouble.  This may not have been the case against some of the lesser competition but with teams that had a pulse this was the case.  McClung was turned loose when he was a sophomore and was very aggressive on defense because there was other players to get the job done. He was very aggressive then but also stayed in foul trouble.  Was a huge difference between last year and his sophomore year on how he played D. 

I'm a little biased, but believe Mac is the best player since Talford. 

As mentioned above....Stacy could flat out shoot the ball, but Mac is a much better all around player. 

Mac can play very good defense. Does he do it all the time........nope. Is part of that by design of the coaching staff...........yep. 

Mac's game improved dramatically from his sophomore to junior year. If we see just a little improvement this year, we are going to have a special team....assuming we stay injury free. Not saying we are going to win a state title, or even win a few games at the Arby's Classic. We are still missing a true big man.....unless George has improved and put on some muscle. 

13 minutes ago, Great City said:

Mac can play very good defense. Does he do it all the time........nope. Is part of that by design of the coaching staff...........yep. 

If McClung is a legit Division 1 player and he's not able to play defense without getting in foul trouble at the 2A level then he's not good at defense. You guys think Vermillion would tell his best player to take it easy on defense?  That would send a bad message to his teammates that defense doesn't matter and after watching Gate City play last year I didn't see much intensity on the defense end of the court. 

2 hours ago, Widespread_Panic said:

If McClung is a legit Division 1 player and he's not able to play defense without getting in foul trouble at the 2A level then he's not good at defense. You guys think Vermillion would tell his best player to take it easy on defense?  That would send a bad message to his teammates that defense doesn't matter and after watching Gate City play last year I didn't see much intensity on the defense end of the court. 

Not nearly as bad as saying "were not gonna win without Mac".   If either of Ervin or Mac goes down GC will struggle some.   And if you'll notice in my post I said I talked to the man in charge......what i said came from the man himself.  Mac has to improve his defense but as a coach, you gotta use your brain when your bench is thin and that's what Vermillion did last year.  The message conveyed to the players was "we want to win a title and this is our best shot".....nothing more nothing less.  it's really that simple.

20 hours ago, Widespread_Panic said:

Just because a guy isnt in the belly button of the guy he is guarding  every step he takes doesnt mean he is taking it easy on defense.  It appeared to me GC would give Mac the weakest G on the opposing team and ask him to drop back at the foul line to pick off entry passes, keep people from driving the lane. and dare a weak shooter to beat them.  It was much like the way the Lakers had Kobe Bryant do Rondo and the Celtics in 2010.

On 10/7/2017 at 11:39 AM, RiverRat24 said:

I've spoke with the man in charge and that's exactly what they did with McClung last year.  He was essentially given 1 freebie foul but after he landed his 2nd foul he wasnt to even so much as look at an offensive player because it was obvious the team couldn't afford for him to be in foul trouble.  This may not have been the case against some of the lesser competition but with teams that had a pulse this was the case.  McClung was turned loose when he was a sophomore and was very aggressive on defense because there was other players to get the job done. He was very aggressive then but also stayed in foul trouble.  Was a huge difference between last year and his sophomore year on how he played D. 

We here at Radford say thank you. LOL.  IF we were to meet the Blue Devils I would bet that after reading this post that we do all that we can to go right at McClung defensively.  The Nichols brothers were the real deal.  Darius who was a superb player at West Virginia now assists Mike White at Florida.  

I never saw any of the other guys play that were mentioned. I have seen highlights of the McClung guy and he does seem a bit arrogant the way he carries himself but that is just from observation of his highlights that are all over social media. I do not know him so I will not speculate.  The Nichols brothers?  If he turns out to be that good he is quite the player. 

6 hours ago, HowTheWestWasWon2017 said:

We here at Radford say thank you. LOL.  IF we were to meet the Blue Devils I would bet that after reading this post that we do all that we can to go right at McClung defensively.  The Nichols brothers were the real deal.  Darius who was a superb player at West Virginia now assists Mike White at Florida.  

I never saw any of the other guys play that were mentioned. I have seen highlights of the McClung guy and he does seem a bit arrogant the way he carries himself but that is just from observation of his highlights that are all over social media. I do not know him so I will not speculate.  The Nichols brothers?  If he turns out to be that good he is quite the player. 

yea.....you guys are welcome.  Almost every coach I know patrols messages boards looking for all the right answers to stop opposing players. I've given everyone in the state of VA the keys to the Cadillac all in one post.  If I was a Radford coach and met against GC I'd scheme everything around the info I've provided here within these messages......enjoy. lol

pretty sure I've seen one already EH31.  Looks almost the same as last year except for GC picked up a game against Cleveland, TN i think.  Pretty sure Knox Christian Academy signed up for another game again this year.  I'll try to find it and post it

5 minutes ago, RiverRat24 said:

pretty sure I've seen one already EH31.  Looks almost the same as last year except for GC picked up a game against Cleveland, TN i think.  Pretty sure Knox Christian Academy signed up for another game again this year.  I'll try to find it and post it

I'd appreciate it. Just trying to find the closest game to Bluefield on the schedule. If none are close I've thought about just checking out the Arby's for the first time. 

14 hours ago, EH31 said:

I'd appreciate it. Just trying to find the closest game to Bluefield on the schedule. If none are close I've thought about just checking out the Arby's for the first time. 

Definitely go to the Arby's if you can. Lots of good basketball.

• 1 month later...