SWVA Best

JGray

I really don't get all the vitriol towards this kid.  I saw him in the state tourney last year and he was the best player at JMU.  He scored almost at will at times.  He shared the ball (a little too much IMHO).  His defense was not the thing legends are made of but he was no slouch either.  His height (or lack there of) was about the only negative thing I saw...and there ain't much to do about that.  I never saw an iota of non-sportsmanship from him...especially for kid who has that kind of hops. 

And I am NOT a GC fan in any way or fashion...but that kid does not deserve the BS spewed by folks like Truther. 

He is a really good athlete and basketball player.  As far as the best player out of SWVA I'm going to throw another name at you that played at the same time as the Ervin's. He messed up in life and you never knew what he may do on or off the court, but maybe the best basketball player I saw play in this area was Duffy Gilmore from Ervinton.  I think his senior year he averaged 35 and was the state player of the year without being the district player of the year.  He didn't go on to have the career's as the others mentioned because of mistakes he made, but he was really, really good.

I remember my uncle taking me to watch Joe Stiltner when Bland would come to Fries.  He seemed like superman to my 5 year old self.  I think my uncle told me he went to NC State but got into some trouble and was either kicked out or left school after only a season.

Stiltner averaged 41.6 points per game his senior year and 27.1 points per game for his career at Bland.  I pulled those numbers from the VHSL Book of Records.

20 hours ago, halosports said:

He is a really good athlete and basketball player.  As far as the best player out of SWVA I'm going to throw another name at you that played at the same time as the Ervin's. He messed up in life and you never knew what he may do on or off the court, but maybe the best basketball player I saw play in this area was Duffy Gilmore from Ervinton.  I think his senior year he averaged 35 and was the state player of the year without being the district player of the year.  He didn't go on to have the career's as the others mentioned because of mistakes he made, but he was really, really good.

Duffy was at Haysi his first two years and I was one of the few friends he had there.  I can remember seeing him on video pulling off a massive tomahawk one year in a game against Powell Valley.  Crazy stuff.

The game he had in the Region D tournament at Clinchco with Ervinton against Boo Sensabaugh and JI Burton was insane.  One of the best high school basketball games I have ever seen.

I think McClung is best player since Nuckles in 2002.....   He's a special talent for sure, athleticism and upside are hard factors to measure at the next level, because Division 1 is just insanely athletic and I don't think any AAU circuit, or any high school team in America can replicate that look....  

I watched McClung put on a display last year in Regional Semi Finals....   He put on a show.... I think at the next level, he could become a prolific passer with other D1 Talent Around him..... 

I think Nuckles is Top 3 ever out of SWVA.... 

State Runner up, State Champion, and State Semi Finalist 2 Time State Player of the Year.  
Top 5 Single Season Points Scored behind oh I don't know, Moses Malone, and Allen Iverson floating around 900 and some change his senior year .... 
150-180ish enrollment 

Nuckles dropped 57 on Powell Valley to break the school record (he sat the entire third quarter so in 24 minutes, he had 57), and had Vikings players cheering for him like Hawks Players on the Bench when Bird went off vs Atlanta....

His performance that night in Council, may ,or may not have been a decision that prompted Wise County to make Union High School and Consolidate  Powell Valley, and Appalachia.... 

1,000 Point Scorer and 2 NCAA Tournament Appearances at ETSU.....  Almost 800 Rebounds 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/brad-nuckles-1.html

http://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/before-arby-s-got-good-there-was-nuckles/article_c713b222-b5ae-11e5-b17e-f778e0e2ea25.html

On 11/21/2017 at 9:51 AM, trevorpilkins said:

His performance that night in Council, may ,or may not have been a decision that prompted Wise County to make Union High School and Consolidate  Powell Valley, and Appalachia.... 

I was agreeing with you right up until this statement. Powell Valley and Appalachia could care less about basketball. Those were both football schools who had enough athletes to be competitive in basketball.

• 2 weeks later...

Mcclung is committed to Georgetown so we will get to see later on if he can handle D1 talent as everyone is questioning.

Edit: Also wanted to mention JJ Reddick who went to Cave Springs in Roanoke. Is that considered SWVA?

10 minutes ago, gotnikes said:

Mcclung is committed to Georgetown so we will get to see later on if he can handle D1 talent as everyone is questioning.

Edit: Also wanted to mention JJ Reddick who went to Cave Springs in Roanoke. Is that considered SWVA?

It's Cave Spring....no "s" at the end.  I lived there for a decade when he was in high school.  Even refereed a few of his games while finishing college.

No, it's not SWVA.  The image at the top of the homepage of this website clearly shows the SWVA boundary and schools represented.  Welcome to the board!

4 hours ago, sixcat said:

It's Cave Spring....no "s" at the end.  I lived there for a decade when he was in high school.  Even refereed a few of his games while finishing college.

No, it's not SWVA.  The image at the top of the homepage of this website clearly shows the SWVA boundary and schools represented.  Welcome to the board!

Sometimes I do good things. Like make a new logo that shows all of our schools so GMan can quit typing it out all the time lol. 

22 hours ago, sixcat said:

18 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Sometimes I do good things. Like make a new logo that shows all of our schools so GMan can quit typing it out all the time lol. 

There was Ralph Sampson up in Harrisonburgs .  Is that considered SWVA?

SWVA (+Radford) players mentioned above (plus a few I could remember)  

NCAA Division 1 (in no particular order):

Mike Porter-Pulaski Co-Va Tech (signed) St John's (played)

Clarence Hanley-Marion-Old Dominion

Phil Williams-Radford-Va Tech

Mac McClung-Gate City-Georgetown

Josh Shoemaker-Gate City-Wake Forest

Stacy Ervin-Twin Springs-Western Carolina

Brad Nuckles- Council- ETSU

Trazel Silvers-Ervington-ETSU

Calvin Talford-Castlewood-ETSU

Joe Stiltner-Bland (Rockets)-NC State

Darris Nichols-Radford-West Virginia

Shane Nichols-Radford-Wofford

Others:

Dwayne Duffy Gilmore-Ervington-?

Steve Marsee-Pennington-LMU (NAIA)

Adam Hood-Rye Cove-UVA-Wise

15 hours ago, champ said:

Currently playing ? 

No, 2001-2005.  Sorry, half asleep and misunderstood what I was reading.  I guess I thought you were asking for girls players who went on to play in college.

David Mitchell -  Coeburn (Played basketball and baseball at UT)

Billy Joe Berta - PV (nice career at King and coached at one of the Morristown schools for a good while)

Barry Hamler - PV (Marshall and Clinch Valley, was a starter at Marshall and really, really good at CVC and was head coach at Elizabeth City St in NCAA DII)

Jerry Meyers - PV (nice career at CVC and coached girls BB at Volunteer and Lee)

Eric Fugate - GC (Pretty sure he either played at King or Milligan)

Hobby (sp?) Stuart - Appy (good career at CVC)

Jason Horton - Twin Springs/GC (played at UNC-Asheville and if he's still at Food City, he's probably the tallest employee in the history of their company)

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 2:44 PM, JGray said:

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:32 PM, sixcat said:

Still no Radford on your map. just saying

21 hours ago, JDHoss said:

...Jason Horton - Twin Springs/GC (played at UNC-Asheville and if he's still at Food City, he's probably the tallest employee in the history of their company)

I forgot all about Horton. 

UNC-A listed him at 7'2" with two teammates at 7'0" each.  

3 hours ago, RCITYHOO said:

Still no Radford on your map. just saying

That has been discussed. I've re-sent the logo to add Radford (I inexplicably left it out) to GMan and he's sent it to the Admin who has to change it. That was sent 3 days after the logo changed, so it's been months and months now. But for whatever reason, it hasn't been updated. But it's not because myself (who designed the logo) or GMan haven't taken the steps.