Lee @ Gate City

fb-fan24263

5 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Pocahontas was the 4th Tazewell County school until (I believe) 2005. It's just NW of Bluefield, VA. 

Closed after the 2007 school year.  They made a few respectable playoff runs in D1 in the 1990s.  A true SWVA football fan should know of them.

5 hours ago, EH31 said:

A lot of factors went into choosing Tazewell over Graham, but the main one was our coach was sent to teach/coach at Tazewell. I went there for my senior year. We beat Gate City that year, btw. Tighlee(sp) Anderson was a heck of an athlete. What happened to him?

Anderson played basketball at Virginia Intermont right before they closed. Great athlete and even better person. Last I talked to him he was a police officer down around Bristol and was playing quarterback for a semi-pro team.

6 hours ago, TTownTigers said:

Good point and finally, finally, you actually make a valid point worth responding to.  Therefore, I will.  The difference in Gate City and Tazewell's coaching is history my friend.  We have a history of success in that area.  Tazewell has a rough history in that area.  Remember now, you just brought up the coaching thing.  Remember?  Oh yea, to kind of turn it back around at ya....."lets don't bring it up because the kids don't need to hear it."  LMAO.  What did you just do?  You brought it up.  Yes, very subtle, but you did bring it up.  I certainly finished.  to answer your other question, Gate City is great right now and will be much better next year.  I don't know if I should say, "back."  You have to truly be down.  Tazewell is the definition of that having not won in 25 years or so.  Gate City won a title just a few years ago.  We are having a bad season, but never really are we "down."  At least, not in our lifetimes.

Gate City is down. 0-7 for a team who is used to playoff runs is way down. 0-7 is down for most teams. You are on your 4th losing season in 5 years after winning state in 2010. From 1999-2005, you had 4 seasons where you went 10-0. One of those seasons you finally got what you worked for and won state in 2003. 

People do not usually associate Gate City with losing seasons. If you include the playoff loss in the first round last year, you are in your third consecutive losing season. You are way down. 

13 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

They were the better team that year, 100%. Should have beaten Richlands in that playoff game. But neither Richlands nor Tazewell had anything for Brookville and Logan Thomas the next week.

VT QB Logan Thomas? He was a huge dude for a QB, I can't imagine having to tackle him as a HS kid. I guess it'd have been like playing Honaker when Miller was there, he played QB.

2 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

VT QB Logan Thomas? He was a huge dude for a QB, I can't imagine having to tackle him as a HS kid. I guess it'd have been like playing Honaker when Miller was there, he played QB.

Yes. That was his senior season. His junior season at Brookville (he was already committed to VT), Richlands beat them at home in the semifinals (07) on the last game on grass at Ernie Hicks. He was a load that game, too. I think the final was like 24-10 or 24-14. Great game. 

5 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Yes. That was his senior season. His junior season at Brookville (he was already committed to VT), Richlands beat them at home in the semifinals (07) on the last game on grass at Ernie Hicks. He was a load that game, too. I think the final was like 24-10 or 24-14. Great game. 

I remember that 2007 team. Didnt you guys have to play at the park in BSG that year? A close game, a TD difference or so. PV lost three or four straight that year, including a 8-7 game at Clintwood. I think it was three in a row and four total, by a combined 20 points. 

Wait, Richlands made a deep-ish run in 2008? I remember a bad PV team coming to Hicks and beating brakes off RHS. Not a competitive game and PV didn't win a playoff game. 

I was out of school by then but still came around. 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

I remember that 2007 team. Didnt you guys have to play at the park in BSG that year? A close game, a TD difference or so. PV lost three or four straight that year, including a 8-7 game at Clintwood. I think it was three in a row and four total, by a combined 20 points. 

Wait, Richlands made a deep-ish run in 2008? I remember a bad PV team coming to Hicks and beating brakes off RHS. Not a competitive game and PV didn't win a playoff game. 

I was out of school by then but still came around. 

27-19 win at PV in 07. 34-7 loss to PV at home in 08, but they did still make it to the state semis. 

32 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

27-19 win at PV in 07. 34-7 loss to PV at home in 08, but they did still make it to the state semis. 

You beat a better team on road, and lost to an inferior one at home and still made semi's. That's nuts lol

1 hour ago, Grapeape said:

GC had 24 players dressed out for practice today. Let that sink in. Prevailing trends within the program lead me to believe it could realistically be 2019 before GC gets back into the win column.

Heard the JV don't have enough to play now. 

37 minutes ago, who? said:

Who will be GC's coach next year?....no way Akers be back.   The AD that hired him needs to go also.  It is a shame.  The hard work of so many wasted by the arrogance and ignorance of so few. 

The AD first let the travel ball players into the high school games free as long as they have their jerseys on. They got into the South game free but he told everyone in the ticket booths for the Marion game not to let them anymore. 

44 minutes ago, who? said:

Who will be GC's coach next year?....no way Akers be back.   The AD that hired him needs to go also.  It is a shame.  The hard work of so many wasted by the arrogance and ignorance of so few. 

I'd say Akers keeps the job as long as he wants it. No one in GC wants to put pressure on the SB or Superintendent to do the right thing. The level of corruption that the people will tolerate is precisely the level that they will receive. 

Well Well Well,  As mighty as the Gate City fans may be,  We can not put all the blame on the AD or as far as that goes I don't see you can put any blame.  First he is just the AD not the principle or the SB.  With that being said our SB and BOARD CHAIRMAN are not going to do anything to correct GC`s problem.  They don't won't to admit they made a bad hire, probably the only one they could have made outside the school system.  Right now GC is a coaches graveyard. and the only way the problem gets better is if Akers QUITS.  Which is not going to happen.  

27 minutes ago, GC JOKER said:

Well Well Well,  As mighty as the Gate City fans may be,  We can not put all the blame on the AD or as far as that goes I don't see you can put any blame.  First he is just the AD not the principle or the SB.  With that being said our SB and BOARD CHAIRMAN are not going to do anything to correct GC`s problem.  They don't won't to admit they made a bad hire, probably the only one they could have made outside the school system.  Right now GC is a coaches graveyard. and the only way the problem gets better is if Akers QUITS.  Which is not going to happen.  

You sure about that?

3 minutes ago, TwhscoachT said:

Anyone get the sneaky suspicion that GC joker is TTownTigers?

It's not. But that person does have the same IP address as another prominent GC fan on there, though....

3 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

It's not. But that person does have the same IP address as another prominent GC fan on there, though....

There is an off chance they are using a common computer, but you would think they would change their ip first. 

14 minutes ago, TwhscoachT said:

There is an off chance they are using a common computer, but you would think they would change their ip first. 

Could be. But I'm not sure. That generally happens if you're a teacher or something like that and given one's email, they are not a teacher.