Bears @ Wal-Mart Warriors

CriticalNoise

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

Someone explain the reason for the central hate to me please? Why Walmart Warriors? 

Have you ever had to deal with Wise fans on a regular basis? If pretentious whining and arrogance are your thing, you'll love a portion of the Wise fanbase. There's also a favortism aspect, some view Wise as having advantage over other county schools. It's no coincidence that every Wise County school dislikes Wise.

17 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Have you ever had to deal with Wise fans on a regular basis? If pretentious whining and arrogance are your thing, you'll love a portion of the Wise fanbase. There's also a favortism aspect, some view Wise as having advantage over other county schools. It's no coincidence that every Wise County school dislikes Wise.

Never talked to any central fans. I've just always been curious why they seem to be so disliked. 

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

Someone explain the reason for the central hate to me please? Why Walmart Warriors? 

There is a general arrogance about Wise. That's why their consolidation hasn't gone as smoothly as Union's. Appy and PV were rivals, but there is real hatred toward Wise from the Pound folks. However, most of it has to do with the students maybe more so than the fans themselves.

Their students have a long history(50+ years...see video) of prejudice and using racial slurs. A few years ago some Burton students created a Twitter referencing the walmart Warriors. Central students retaliated with a Twitter acount entitled the Norton.....(insert racial slur here). Their students have routinely used racial slurs during Union games and their students have created controversy during volleyball and basketball games. Warranted or not these actions have given Cental a bad rep.

There are some really fine people from Central and I wouldn't trade my time with many of them for a single thing. There are also people there who make make Central really unpleasant and that is what gives them such a bad reputation. 

Take it from someone who knows a thing or two about it:

There is a great deal of animosity still yet between Wise and Pound people that will take some time to resolve. I have heard parents and students from Pound say that they or their kids are not looking forward to going to Central because of the people from Wise and that they would prefer Burton, Jenkins, or Ridgeview. Pound people are not totally innocent in this matter either.

I have seen some bad behavior from some Central students. One Central student page on twitter does have some tweets that make them look like jerks. Union's cheerleading squad a couple years ago had a routine or stunt that went wrong where a Union cheerleader fell to the ground and that page made some horrible jokes about it. I am not saying Union students would not have done the same thing if the situation were reversed. If they have or do, I have not witnessed or noticed it.. A little smack talk among fan bases is fun and okay but there are lines you should not cross.

But for every bad group, there is a really good group and I just hope the good group overtakes the bad.

1 minute ago, trumpet1988 said:

Pardon?

Earlier this year when Central played at Grundy even though they won they wrote an article about the game that started out with how the field grass was high and looked like it hadn't been cut all week or something to that extent.

Just now, gwave0333 said:

Earlier this year when Central played at Grundy even though they won they wrote an article about the game that started out with how the field grass was high and looked like it hadn't been cut all week or something to that extent.

Ah. That makes more sense, now.

4 hours ago, BigWinners said:

What advantages do they have Union/Eastside do not? 

6 minutes ago, Dick_Vitale said:

Going back decades, the perception has always been that being in the county seat they got more and were favored over the other county schools. Reality or not, it was a good motivational tool...

1 minute ago, sup_rbeast said:

Going back decades, the perception has always been that being in the county seat they got more and were favored over the other county schools. Reality or not, it was a good motivational tool...

Still did not give me an answer... Can you name literally anything they got that other schools did not? Kind of curious what it would be like ot be a JJK/Central student. If I was a parent of a Union/Eatside student I would be going nuts over this at the next school board meeting. 

18 minutes ago, Dick_Vitale said:

Three schools consolidated, only one got a new stadium. 

A lot was privately funded, but as far as I know the county will foot the bill for the turf and such when it's needed to be replaced. County paid for the use of UVAW facilities for Wise instead of having them at already county maintained facilities. I'm sure some other posters can tell me I'm wrong, or post more examples.

50 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Three schools consolidated, only one got a new stadium. 

A lot was privately funded, but as far as I know the county will foot the bill for the turf and such when it's needed to be replaced. County paid for the use of UVAW facilities for Wise instead of having them at already county maintained facilities. I'm sure some other posters can tell me I'm wrong, or post more examples.

Central using UVAW field cost them $500 per game. That is less than the cost to keep the custodians on campus to clean post game as well as electricity cost. So WCPS came out on the good end of that one. Furthermore, the budget for using this came out of Central's budget. Not the counties. It is the same budget for facility upkeep so literally, no one was effected in this. Terrible excuse.

As far as the turf having to be replaced, I am unsure of that. That won't happen for another couple of years (what 15-20 years?) By that point, there will be two schools in the county. 

As far as the basketball thing, I agree. That has been wild. Not really pertaining to my question though. 

35 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I'd also be shocked if any other coaching staff was allowed to get away with the shenanigans that constantly surround the WC basketball program. Ask Mac McClung.

The players were told by the head coach and his asst to put him into the wall if he tried to dunk.