Best teams in mance era

Swvafan72

The 2006 football team still to this day is the best Richlands team I have seen with my own eyes. There is only one other local team that I would put above the 2006 Richlands team and that would be the 2004 Bluefield Beavers.

50 minutes ago, bgibb said:

The 2006 football team still to this day is the best Richlands team I have seen with my own eyes. There is only one other local team that I would put above the 2006 Richlands team and that would be the 2004 Bluefield Beavers.

That 2004 Bluefield team would murder and then feast on the decomposing carcass of that 2006 Richlands team.  People love to forget that it took a blocked chip shot FG for Richlands to avoid losing to an 8-5 Rockbridge team.  Whereas, Bluefield beat Martinsburg (#1 WV AAA team for what felt like eternity) before hanging 70 in its state title game.

Bluefield would win that game in a blowout.  Not even close.

5 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I always thought the '05 and '07 teams were underrated and the later '15 and '16 vintages were equally overrated.  But then again, I'm in my 30s and everything was better back in the aughts.

The 2015 team should have won the title. All the keys were there. That 05 team was very good and just got too cocky and lost to TA. The 07 loss hurts me to the core, and I refuse to talk about it much. lol.

I was a senior in 2010 and to this day I still fully believe that if richlands and poquoson played 100 Times, richlands would win 99 times by at least two scores, however that isn’t how state champions are crowned and they lost heartbreakingly. That team was the total package, beat eventual 2A champs gate city 31-0 in gate city that year.

I didn't see the 2006 team but saw that 2010 team, it was extremely good. They smacked around the last PV team pretty good. Just couldn't let us go out with a win, could ya?

2010 was Johnson's junior or senior year, I was shocked they didn't win it all. 

3 hours ago, bgibb said:

What about 2001 graham? that team was loaded 

The best two teams I've seen imo have been the 01 Graham team and the 10 Richlands team. And the ironic thing is that neither team won it all. 

The 01 Graham team got Carlock out of the bone they had so much talent. Ahmad didn't even start at RB as a sophomore. And that Richlands was a close second to them in my eyes. 

I never had the pleasure to see the beaver team that was mentioned. Just my 2 cents 

2015 team had Appo on the ropes in the 4th quarter, then a total breakdown on defense-all know the rest of the story. Could this defensive debacle  be the reason DP is no longer on the staff?  Just wondering.

\

5 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

That 2004 Bluefield team would murder and then feast on the decomposing carcass of that 2006 Richlands team.  People love to forget that it took a blocked chip shot FG for Richlands to avoid losing to an 8-5 Rockbridge team.  Whereas, Bluefield beat Martinsburg (#1 WV AAA team for what felt like eternity) before hanging 70 in its state title game.

Bluefield would win that game in a blowout.  Not even close.

Didn’t Rockbridge QB get injured and they lost those 5 games that year though? Mayo wasn’t it? 

3 hours ago, graham32 said:

What about 2001 graham? that team was loaded 

Took a bad throw on a two point conversion in OT at Grundy for that 01 Graham team to even get home field advantage in the playoffs that year.

No doubt that team was loaded with speed though

6 hours ago, barondawg77 said:

Didn’t Rockbridge QB get injured and they lost those 5 games that year though? Mayo wasn’t it? 

Mayo was inserted there after tinkering for a few weeks with options after the injury.  That team still had no business being a chip shot away from beating Richlands.

Was a part of every State Team from 05-10

05 Was a good learning experience for both coaches and players

06 The talent got better from the year before and some players stepped up in big ways all year

07 Takheim Hedgeman just had a field day

10 Never could find a rhythm or would get out of one due to penalty or botched play

I seriously think 10 was the best team (and not just because I played) we had a massive line blocking for someone who didn't need much blocking , Def POY in Will Lowe, a hard hitting linebacker duo with Cody Thomas and Devon Johnson,  shutdown secondary with Austin Johnson, Bradley Strong, Jack Vance, Sean Overton, and Al Fajardo that I believe holds the School Record for INTs in a season (I know Bradley at least holds the individual record) and QB battle that any coach would love to be in with Lockhart and Reece Strong battling it out for snaps every practice. 

As mentioned above it did take a blocked FG to beat an 8-5 RC and came down to basically the last possession in the 10 State Game

14 hours ago, ojrussell said:

2015 team had Appo on the ropes in the 4th quarter, then a total breakdown on defense-all know the rest of the story. Could this defensive debacle  be the reason DP is no longer on the staff?  Just wondering.

\

Can’t really say it was a defensive breakdown. The defense held them to no touchdowns up until the 4th quarter. The offense gave up a touchdown. Plus they couldn’t get a first down to secure the game. I would say that defense was out there 80% of the game