06  02-04  .333  00  00  R. B. Worthy
03  00-03  .000  00  00  Ervinton
03  00-03  .000  00  00  Independence
02  01-01  .500  00  00  Rich Valley
02  00-02  .000  00  00  Fries
02  00-02  .000  00  00  Athens
01  00-01  .000  00  00  Dublin
01  00-01  .000  00  00  Pulaski

Hmmm, appears that Bluefield, Galax, and Richlands all surpass the winning percentage of Gate City, as do both since-consolidated schools of Powell Valley and Appalachia.  Further, it appears that Appalachia all by its lonesome surpasses Gate City in number of wins, despite it being closed for 8 years now.

Good food for thought based upon yesterday evening.

Galax has completely changed its culture since 2010.  An 18-6 (.750) playoff record with a state title and a runner-up.  Given they were 2-5 from the 1920's to 2009 in playoff competition, that's just remarkable. 

Grayson/Independence/Fries is a whopping 4-22 (.154).  I'm honestly shocked Grayson has played in 21 playoff games.  That number just seems awfully high for whatever reason. 

I think it goes without saying, Appalachia and Powell Valley were remarkable programs and these numbers bear that out.  All these years after the schools closed and they are still among the all-time leaders in win percentage, total wins and state titles.

I didn't live in this part of the country for a number of years, Bluefield Reseracher.  In your opinion, how did reclassification and realignment affect certain schools, especially in recent years with the number of teams getting into the playoffs?

In Virginia it really hasn't affected the playoffs that much. When the playoffs started in 1970 there were three rounds built into the playoffs. As compared to WV which started playoffs in 1947 but only the top two teams were in the playoffs in WV until 1972. Then only four until 1979 when eight teams were in and then the current system in 1991. WV teams were at a slight disadvantage so far as playoff appearances but only slight because there were not nearly as many schools.  the only school that you could say really suffered was Bluefield in the 1960's that had two undefeated teams and three 9-1 teams that did not make the playoffs. Then again there were no playoffs in Virginia at that time and Gate City and Appalachia had some outstanding teams in that decade. Oh yeah, and any school that had to compete against Powell Valley, Appalachia and Gate City for district titles.  lol.

1 hour ago, Bluefield researcher said:

My apologies. I typed Appalachia wrong. It is 44-15, not 54-15.

I started to protest but you are the Researcher and you will fix it when you are wrong, good work sir!

1 minute ago, SXSW said:

I started to protest but you are the Researcher and you will fix it when you are wrong, good work sir!

But I am also human and I make mistakes. I don't mind when mistakes are pointed out. That really was the reason I started putting the records on this site. So others with direct knowledge could proof read.

Oh boy, I can't wait for TTT to see this. PVs been closed for eight years but finished with a higher playoff win % and more titles. Bluefield, Giles, Richlands as well.

Appy winning 75% of their playoff games is an absolutely insane stat. Burton has a higher win % than I'd assume, good on them. 

2 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

In Virginia it really hasn't affected the playoffs that much. When the playoffs started in 1970 there were three rounds built into the playoffs. As compared to WV which started playoffs in 1947 but only the top two teams were in the playoffs in WV until 1972. Then only four until 1979 when eight teams were in and then the current system in 1991. WV teams were at a slight disadvantage so far as playoff appearances but only slight because there were not nearly as many schools.  the only school that you could say really suffered was Bluefield in the 1960's that had two undefeated teams and three 9-1 teams that did not make the playoffs. Then again there were no playoffs in Virginia at that time and Gate City and Appalachia had some outstanding teams in that decade. Oh yeah, and any school that had to compete against Powell Valley, Appalachia and Gate City for district titles.  lol.

Are the Virginia numbers from 1970 onward?  Because technically there were playoffs in Virginia within the top division prior to 1970.  At least in the late 1960's it appears that the SWD champion had to defeat the Western District champion for any kind of championship consideration.  (My frame of reference there is Richlands losing big to Andrew Lewis in 1967.)

Just now, RichlandsAlum said:

Are the Virginia numbers from 1970 onward?  Because technically there were playoffs in Virginia within the top division prior to 1970.  At least in the late 1960's it appears that the SWD champion had to defeat the Western District champion for any kind of championship consideration.  (My frame of reference there is Richlands losing big to Andrew Lewis in 1967.)

These games were not mandatory. They were allowed but not recognized as true playoffs. Kind of fuzzy I know but it is what it is.

As a pre-Akers GC fan, I offer the following: While Powell Valley was a better football program than GC, they (PV) faced MUCH softer competition in the playoffs. Ditto for Appalachia (though I don't think Appalachia was a better overall program than PV or GC). 

11 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

As a pre-Akers GC fan, I offer the following: While Powell Valley was a better football program than GC, they (PV) faced MUCH softer competition in the playoffs. Ditto for Appalachia (though I don't think Appalachia was a better overall program than PV or GC). 

I think MUCH softer is a pretty dramatic overstatement, and the only title GC won during the 90s, they lost to both A champions. 

PV played in Div. 2 A, while GC played Div. 1 AA. GC also had typically more enrollment, as Union and GC are now both around 700 students. Thats the combined PV/AHS school along with a GC that has seen a dip in enrollment. PV would play schools with 400-700 enrollment numbers, GC played schools with enrollments around 700-1000 while at that time having a larger enrollment. The difference isn't that dramatic. In the 90s, every state title PV win featured wins over GC. GC defeated PV in 1999, 1996 and 1993, the only wins from 90-99. Playing in a higher division is obviously harder. But the only time the champions overlapped in the regular season between the three, the AA champ lost. State runners up in 94 in AA but lost to D2 A champions. 

I would have liked to see some of those games in the playoffs between Tazwell, Graham, etc.. and PV, but I'm not sure how it's relevant as a dig to PV when in the five most recent PV titles, they beat GC every year, including GCs winning one title and playing for another. Not to mention the enrollment numbers. If GC didn't have the AA numbers, it's their fault for not playing in correct divisions. They weren't so much better than the D2 A teams that they could just drop down and crush everyone, the results speak for themselves.

1 hour ago, Dookthecook said:

I cunfused . Uncle Ben . Supporter wave nation. Narrows wave nation that is claimage two titles in late 30'. Right befor the 40's. Vern says ol school has signs to proov narrows title holders in 38 39z me thinks 

This is from Bluefield Researcher in another thread from a few weeks back:

This post is in regards to the "Claiming state titles" before 1970 remark while referring to Narrows.

In the 1920's and 1930's there were three classes in Virginia.  A, B, C.  The only class that had an organized system for a state champion was the A class which was the biggest schools. The VHSL record book lists those. In 1954 the "A" class greatly expanded as a lot of the B Class teams joined A. The future SW District teams of Graham, Tazewell, Richlands, Grundy and Va High joined class A.  Covington was another team that joined class A. Class A rules stated that you must play a certain number of games vs other class A schools so SW schools started playing the Roanoke area Class A schools such as Fleming, Patrick Henry Roanoke and Jefferson.  Grundy was even playing E. C. Glass in the 1960's. The schools from Roanoke were happy because they no longer had to travel to Richmond, Tidewater and NOVA to get class A games.

But in the 1920's and 1930's the smaller classes would play regional and state class playoff games if both champions could work it out.  There was no requirement to play these games. They were optional and many times schools declined. In 1939 Narrows was champions of their district and Bedford champion of their District.  They played a playoff game and Narrows won.  The Class C team from the Eastern Shore declined to travel to Narrows to play so Narrows claims a championship. In 1938 all the Class C teams declined to play so again Narrows claims a championship. There were very few years that these games went the full playoff rounds. 

Claimage over a sevin hundred fiffy sevin team.  Why don't Narrows take those razzle doozling teams of 30's and  travel that way.  Oh uncle better taken sines and run. Onlee team in dat county like ric flair is them one wingers.  Wooooooooooo. Says ol Natche

"PV would play schools with 400-700 enrollment numbers, GC played schools with enrollments around 700-1000 while at that time having a larger enrollment. The difference isn't that dramatic."

Don't know if I would say that PV faced "much" softer competition in the playoffs, but without a doubt it was softer. Not sure how that can be argued. Not taking anything away from PV. They had a great program.

I would say that the difference between schools with 400-700 kids, and schools with 700-1000 kids is substantial. If you average those numbers, you get a group of schools with 550 kids, and a group of schools with 850 kids.....a difference of 300 kids. Assuming 50:50 males to females, you have 150 additional males that could be on a sports team. Gives all of your teams more kids, gives you back ups to help you deal with injuries, gives you people to practice against, etc... 

IMHO....the biggest difference in those two groups of schools, is that one kid has a much greater impact at a smaller school than he/she would at a larger school.

Take the Jones brothers from PV. I BELIEVE PV won 4 state championships while having an NFL-caliber running back in the backfield. That is half of their total championships. If you remove them from those teams, does PV still win the championship? Maybe they do, but without a doubt it would have been harder. Wonder how many championships Clintwood would have if they would of had the Jones brothers? How about Appalachia?

They also would have made a huge difference in AA. Can you imagine GC, Richlands, Graham having 8 years of the Jones brothers?

Granted the Jones brothers are an extreme example. Any school in VA would have benefited from having them on the team. The effect is the same for not as gifted athletes. Just using the Jones brothers as an example.

Again...........not taking anything away from PV. They competed in their correct classification, and earned their titles.

39 minutes ago, Great City said:

Take the Jones brothers from PV. I BELIEVE PV won 4 state championships while having an NFL-caliber running back in the backfield. That is half of their total championships. If you remove them from those teams, does PV still win the championship?

On 3 of those teams there was more than enough talent to win it all without the Jones brothers.  The 1994 team would've cut it close.  But, consider this, after Robbins's arrival, PV rarely had a year without a 1,500 yard running back.  That position was just plug and play at PV.  The main reason for PV's success was line play on both sides of the ball and Defense.  The skill positions were top notch, but as long as PV had a capable QB, they were in good shape year in and year out.  As far as the competition being soft in 2A, the most skilled team I have ever seen on a VA high school field was Lunenburg Central...and that still stands to this day.  Athletes and skill EVERYWHERE. Outside of their meetings with PV, their success over a decade was phenomenal.  Thing is, some teams rise to the occasion and some don't.  But I'll tell you this, I never played against another team who I'd put money on to beat a Lunenburg team from that era, and that's a fact.

Jus got offn tellyphone with uncle Vern. Him has much mor cents then uncle Ben. Wanting to clear up this wave nation claimage fiasco. Vern say that back in dem days n nites. Not much fer claimage. He first mits he claimage uncle bens girl while dey held Hans. I shake my noggin thoughts of ruby gal hold nudder Han. Oh sorry. Back to story.  Vern said yes just claimage. He said though in 1964 wave nation had parade affer parade. Did in honorization of the county's first titles . To most in wave nation they still the rightful champ of that county. Ruby gal got on tellyphone and tode uncle Vern to check record books. Vern claimage he did . The book of wave nation pride lists all and all titles . Nuff for him! We shake our heads at his wave nation pride. Love my famlee. They real people!

3 hours ago, sup_rbeast said:

On 3 of those teams there was more than enough talent to win it all without the Jones brothers.  The 1994 team would've cut it close.  But, consider this, after Robbins's arrival, PV rarely had a year without a 1,500 yard running back.  That position was just plug and play at PV.  The main reason for PV's success was line play on both sides of the ball and Defense.  The skill positions were top notch, but as long as PV had a capable QB, they were in good shape year in and year out.  As far as the competition being soft in 2A, the most skilled team I have ever seen on a VA high school field was Lunenburg Central...and that still stands to this day.  Athletes and skill EVERYWHERE. Outside of their meetings with PV, their success over a decade was phenomenal.  Thing is, some teams rise to the occasion and some don't.  But I'll tell you this, I never played against another team who I'd put money on to beat a Lunenburg team from that era, and that's a fact.

I am definitely not saying PV could not have won those titles without the Jones brothers. Just saying that they certainly did not hurt. :)

Not really sure you can say, with a straight face, that the RB position was "plug and play at PV". I quickly googled the Jones brothers. Looks like Thomas held (maybe still holds) the records for most rushing yards in a season, was UVA's all-time leading rusher, and had the 4th highest rushing total in ACC history. Julius was no slouch either. He held the single game rushing record (262 yards) at ND, and held school records for KO return yards, and all-purpose yards. Did not even mention their NFL careers. Not sure how many other backs at PV went on to have that success.

Did not say their playoff competition was "soft". Just said that it was "softer" than if they had played in a higher classification. Only made that comment because someone that posted before me talked about it. I also said........."Again...........not taking anything away from PV. They competed in their correct classification, and earned their titles."

Does anyone know the Jones brother's stats for their championship games?

5 hours ago, Dookthecook said:

Claimage over a sevin hundred fiffy sevin team.  Why don't Narrows take those razzle doozling teams of 30's and  travel that way.  Oh uncle better taken sines and run. Onlee team in dat county like ric flair is them one wingers.  Wooooooooooo. Says ol Natche

In 1939 it was the Eastern team's turn to come west. They declined to make the trip. In 1938 Narrows offered to go west but there were no takers. To be fair the traveling team's expenses were taken from the gate receipts and the eastern teams sometimes would not draw enough to pay the visitors expenses. You see in the east there were many bigger schools close by so the little schools did not have the fan base that the western schools had and still have. Now in the west to see big time class A school one had to travel to Rownokee or Dannyville or Leechburg.