Giles @ Glenvar

nrv_football

Big game Friday. Will Glenvar contain the single wing again? Does Glenvar beat Giles for 5th straight time? 

Watched a little film on Glenvar and they look very very good on defense. Seems like they get into the backfield on just about every other play. The offense didn't look to shabby either. If they get shutdown on the ground they just go to a pretty good air attack. Once they have the air attack going they come back to the ground to balance it out. 

I would like to see Giles end the 4 game losing streak to Glenvar but not sure this is the year they do it.

Glenvar 28 Giles 14

From the film I've seen on Glenvar, their defense is legit and this may be the best defense that Giles has faced this season, or possibly a close second to Blacksburg. They are big and play smart, and like you said they know how to get into the back field.

Offensively I'm not too impressed but this Glenvar team isn't the air attack team like years past, they are run first. 

It'll be a battle, and although I'm not gonna pick Glenvar over Giles, I feel like they are 1-2 tds better than the Spartans.

Beidleman will have 50+ carries.

If Glenvar has a few turnovers I feel Giles has a very good chance. I also believe Giles needs to open up the playbook in order to throw Glenvar off. Glenvar will be expecting the same 4-5 plays Giles has been running over and over all year. I say come out and take some chances. Throw the ball get Glenvar to back off the line some and that will open up the door to run the ball better. 

2 minutes ago, nrv_football said:

If Glenvar has a few turnovers I feel Giles has a very good chance. I also believe Giles needs to open up the playbook in order to throw Glenvar off. Glenvar will be expecting the same 4-5 plays Giles has been running over and over all year. I say come out and take some chances. Throw the ball get Glenvar to back off the line some and that will open up the door to run the ball better. 

We will throw the ball, whenever it's 3rd and 15.... we do need to throw it on 1st down some and not wait til our backs are against the wall. But we will throw the ball more times this game then we have all season simply because we're not gonna run over them. We do need to force turnovers as well as capitalize off of them. And cut out on the penalties. This Giles teams has gotten more penalties this season then the last 7 years combined. 

23 minutes ago, nrv_football said:

Easier said than done pal

19 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

We will throw the ball, whenever it's 3rd and 15.... we do need to throw it on 1st down some and not wait til our backs are against the wall. But we will throw the ball more times this game then we have all season simply because we're not gonna run over them. We do need to force turnovers as well as capitalize off of them. And cut out on the penalties. This Giles teams has gotten more penalties this season then the last 7 years combined. 

Haha

Actual those one wingers use many diffrent plays. Saw the one wingers at bulllit back n day.  If n one wingers have throw then you admit defeet! 

One winger fans seem like spoiled cabbage. Whew smelly! 

My sauces say one winger d fence is them that Achills hill!  Tom Walker have some stud defending peeps.  Wanna bar few! ?

Right now Glenvar is in Giles' head. But it was the same way for 20 straight games when Giles was in Glenvar's head. The Spartans will need to play a near perfect game and force Glenvar to make some mistakes(jumping offsides, turnovers, etc) if they want to win. Why doesn't Giles change up the cadence any, like going on 2 or going on down? Everything about Giles is predictable, but when you don't have the talent as before and are playing a better team, then yes you have to mix it up a little. I'm not saying do away with the single-wing but that playbook is bigger than people think, I know from personal experience. And DONT wait until 3rd and 15 to try throwing it!!

37 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Right now Glenvar is in Giles' head. But it was the same way for 20 straight games when Giles was in Glenvar's head. The Spartans will need to play a near perfect game and force Glenvar to make some mistakes(jumping offsides, turnovers, etc) if they want to win. Why doesn't Giles change up the cadence any, like going on 2 or going on down? Everything about Giles is predictable, but when you don't have the talent as before and are playing a better team, then yes you have to mix it up a little. I'm not saying do away with the single-wing but that playbook is bigger than people think, I know from personal experience. And DONT wait until 3rd and 15 to try throwing it!!

Geez..yes we should come out in the spread Friday...come on man

They aren't in giles heads they have just been better the last couple years plain and simple

38 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Geez..yes we should come out in the spread Friday...come on man

They aren't in giles heads they have just been better the last couple years plain and simple

Clearly you did not see where I said, do not do away with the single wing, but mix it up a bit." I'm not saying that we need to throw it every play. Just here and there on a few 1st and 2nd down plays. I'm not at all downing the coaching staff, but when I talk to some of the other coaches, they see what everyone else sees, and that is that we need to not wait until we're backed up to throw it. 

If you know Giles which I'm sure you do then you know how we operate..power football plain and simple...maybe not this year but it's worked pretty good for us over the last 40 years or so I would think

If we throw an imcomplete pass on first down then our series is basically over right then and there.

Plus this year we really have no threats IMO to throw the ball too consistantly. So if Glenvar stuffs our run like they have recently then they win the game period

I get so sick and tired of listening to our bleacher coaches that think they know exactly what we should do every single play....and those people have a combined ZERO wins in their careers

It was good to see the Spartans play for 4 quarters! Defense did a lot of bending but did not break in the 1st half. Glenvars defense is as good as advertised. Very big and fast. Giles was lucky to make a few big plays to get into Highlander territory and put up points. Also, hats off to Williams and staff for mixing it up and bit and trying out some new plays which I felt were all positives. TRD title comes back to Giles!!!!

On 10/16/2017 at 2:05 PM, SWVAgridiron said:

Dook from ewing here. Count your records over years. Giles is same as always . That is very good. We all envy . You seem like couch fan. Clueless and wanna be heard. Carry on. One day Giles be down . Then you can rattle your knowledge!

On 10/20/2017 at 11:42 PM, SWVAgridiron said:

It was good to see the Spartans play for 4 quarters! Defense did a lot of bending but did not break in the 1st half. Glenvars defense is as good as advertised. Very big and fast. Giles was lucky to make a few big plays to get into Highlander territory and put up points. Also, hats off to Williams and staff for mixing it up and bit and trying out some new plays which I felt were all positives. TRD title comes back to Giles!!!!

Play calling comes better more the talent. Simple as that. Giles offense on films is physical. Actually not predictable and then bit intimidating. When Powell valley beat Giles in 95 I think. They did because of Thomas Jones . When Giles beat Pv Giles had more talent. Offense?  Give me talent. Plus hard nose style. Win much.  

Word I hear Giles problem not offense. Your defense very limited. Seems they played ok Friday. Again you would not know. Good coaching you have. One star and bunch of let's say hard nose kids. Recipe for great job by whomever coach may be. In Giles .  Seems the status who.. win.  

Some of their wannabe Abingdon(with sturgull) offense fans like SWVA gridiron wants to be soft. Get it u lose!