JAMES MITCHELL VT

jarhead24219

So VT HEAD COACH WAS AT THE UNION /CENTRAL GAME,where do you think he is going?I would think it is at least 80% going to BLACKSBURG, 0% UT, with GA,SC , also being looked at. I was also told that the special teams coach for VT was watching our kicker with a great deal of interest . YOUR THOUGHTS?My thoughts are these J FUENTE doesnt waste his time unless there is a recruit about to sign!

Fuente could have went anywhere since it was VT's open week. He chose to go see Mitchell play. That says something about how bad he wants James in Blacksburg. He could have went to higher ranked recruit's games, but he chose to stay home and see Mitchell. That should show Mitchell where he needs to be, imo. 

I don’t like VT. But VT may be where he needs to be. 

As a Vols fan, I would love to see him run through that T to Rocky Top. That said, with the current situation pertaining to coaching, it would hold him back. My Vols have been held back by poor coaching. Butch would not develop Mitchell very well.

He he needs to think of somewhere that can develop him. As much as I don’t like Tech, they can develop him very well. 

I agree with Ryan. It shows a great deal of commitment from VT for Fuente to come to Wise. Especially knowing what kind of game it would be. I think it comes down to VT and UGA. Either choice would be a tremendous opportunity for Mitchell. As for the special teams coach showing interest in our kicker, I heard similar talk. Prime example of other players benefiting from Mitchell’s exposure. 

James has said he's going to wait until January to make a decision to keep the attention off of him and keep it on the team, which I completely understand. But after seeing Coach Fuente come to wise (Norton) I would have committed before the team got back to UHS that night. 

51 minutes ago, trumpet1988 said:

As a Vols fan, I would love to see him run through that T to Rocky Top. That said, with the current situation pertaining to coaching, it would hold him back. My Vols have been held back by poor coaching. Butch would not develop Mitchell very well.

He he needs to think of somewhere that can develop him. As much as I don’t like Tech, they can develop him very well. 

Go vawls go. Over line over goal. Go vawls go

48 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

James has said he's going to wait until January to make a decision to keep the attention off of him and keep it on the team, which I completely understand. But after seeing Coach Fuente come to wise (Norton) I would have committed before the team got back to UHS that night. 

If he changes his mind and decides to commit in season can he do it like Cole Beck did? That looked fun. 

8 minutes ago, EH31 said:

If he changes his mind and decides to commit in season can he do it like Cole Beck did? That looked fun. 

That would be awesome! Maybe even on senior night? I doubt he will change his mind, but if he does I hope that's what happens. 

Here are my thoughts, and I have absolutely zero inside information from Mitchell or anyone in BSG:

He's not going to UT. Not a chance. The turmoil in Knoxville, no way he commits there.

He's not going to UGA, because they probably won't go after him hard. They are looking like front runners for the top TE prospect in nation and could land the #1 and #2 prospect at TE and have a shot at the top of next year at TE. It's a great program going upwards and if UGA misses on their targets they may push harder but right now, I don't see UGA.

Tech has always ised their TEs very well, it's in state, and he knows the staff and they obviously want him. 

Duke is sneaky in all this, a great offensive coach and a good program at a premier school, but I think Mitchell wants to play and win. VT gives him that chance.

I'd be surprised if he went somewhere besides VT.

3 hours ago, trumpet1988 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head.  I'm still flabbergasted that he didn't choose Clemson, but as much of a disaster as UT has been this season, VT is probably his next best choice.

Funny thing about recruits....it's not if the coach wants them, it's if they want the coach. I'm sure Butch would love to have him. I'm about as big a Vol fan as there is, but I wouldn't go to UT right now if I was Mitchell.  Fuentes may get him, but it's not because he wants Mitchell, it would be because Mitchell wants him.  My point is, who knows who UT will hire when Butch leaves? It may turn out to be someone Mitchell really likes. After watching the interview of Mitchell after his UT visit I don't think he goes to UT regardless, but until signing day nothing is 100%. The most important thing is that James goes where ever he can grow (physically and mentally!) and get the most out of the opportunities he's given. 

8 minutes ago, BigO said:

Funny thing about recruits....it's not if the coach wants them, it's if they want the coach. I'm sure Butch would love to have him. I'm about as big a Vol fan as there is, but I wouldn't go to UT right now if I was Mitchell.  Fuentes may get him, but it's not because he wants Mitchell, it would be because Mitchell wants him.  My point is, who knows who UT will hire when Butch leaves? It may turn out to be someone Mitchell really likes. After watching the interview of Mitchell after his UT visit I don't think he goes to UT regardless, but until signing day nothing is 100%. The most important thing is that James goes where ever he can grow (physically and mentally!) and get the most out of the opportunities he's given. 

If he likes the culture and the coach, he will go. 

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

I think you hit the nail on the head.  I'm still flabbergasted that he didn't choose Clemson, but as much of a disaster as UT has been this season, VT is probably his next best choice.

When Clemson first offered I was sure he'd accept and go there. Maybe the staff hasn't pushed to land him and he didn't feel as wanted from Clemson as he does from Tech or Duke. That's only explanation I can surmise, Clemson would be a phenomenal place to play. 

No one has to worry about going to UT to play for Butch next season.

Duke's open week is the last week of the VHSL regular season.  It will be interesting to see if they send someone up.  I have thought Duke has a strong chance since he put out a Top 5 and I would believe it comes down to Duke and VT at the moment.  

2 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Since VT put their offer on the table, I said Mitchell would be a Hokie. VT is also on the upswing. UGA is the only other school in his top 5 that looks intriguing. I don’t know Mitchell or have any sort of ties to him. But I say he will be a Hokie. I hope he succeeds wherever he lands. 

He may get to watch Georgia play for a National Title. That team is legit on defense and has enough O to make them real title contenders! Georgia uses their TE's very well.

16 hours ago, BigWinners said:

When Clemson first offered I was sure he'd accept and go there. Maybe the staff hasn't pushed to land him and he didn't feel as wanted from Clemson as he does from Tech or Duke. That's only explanation I can surmise, Clemson would be a phenomenal place to play. 

I was told Dabo and Clemson pushed and gave him an ultimatum saying he needed to commit or they were going to move on. Keep an eye on Duke, sleeper as BigWinners stated above. 

On 10/16/2017 at 2:57 PM, jarhead24219 said:

So VT HEAD COACH WAS AT THE UNION /CENTRAL GAME,where do you think he is going?I would think it is at least 80% going to BLACKSBURG, 0% UT, with GA,SC , also being looked at. I was also told that the special teams coach for VT was watching our kicker with a great deal of interest . YOUR THOUGHTS?My thoughts are these J FUENTE doesnt waste his time unless there is a recruit about to sign!

The other coach there was the TE coach is what I was told but maybe he coaches special teams also.

• 3 weeks later...

On 10/17/2017 at 3:42 PM, goose111874 said:

The other coach there was the TE coach is what I was told but maybe he coaches special teams also.

On 10/17/2017 at 3:42 PM, goose111874 said:

Duke or Georgia  is a better choice . The Chokies are always gonna be wannabes!