Coaching Hot Seat

Widespread_Panic

If Akers lasts ten days past the last game, it will be like a Christmas Present for him. Mance has hinted at retirement, Jones is gone at Volunteer and the only reason I mention it is because of his Southwest Virginia ties. Graham Clark at DB may be retiring also, though most see him going on more year. I am sure the cronies in Scott County will do the noble thing and screw it up again at Gate City.

There is zero indication that Akers is on the hot seat. AD & SB chairman has been vocally supportive. He has no reason to quit; he sure ad hell would never land another head coaching job after his 'record year' at GC.

7 hours ago, Grapeape said:

There is zero indication that Akers is on the hot seat. AD & SB chairman has been vocally supportive. He has no reason to quit; he sure ad hell would never land another head coaching job after his 'record year' at GC.

Any school system worth anything is going to express support mid-season.  You GC fans need to learn that this isn’t the pros, this isn’t the NCAA, and you’re going to have to exercise a mustard seed’s worth of patience.

I don’t know a whole lot about how Akers is doing at Gate City. I do know it takes way longer to build a program back than to tear it down. Akers did a good job in his second year at Rural Retreat. If Akers did leave for whatever reason has Tiller been mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

11 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

“For where two or three gather in My name, there am I with them.” - Matthew 18:20.

A TWO MAN FRONT?!? WE CAN'T HAVE THAT AT GATE CITY!!!! Haha. I jest. 

15 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

A TWO MAN FRONT?!? WE CAN'T HAVE THAT AT GATE CITY!!!! Haha. I jest. 

But doesn't one plus Jesus equal a majority.

On 10/20/2017 at 3:21 PM, Union_Fan said:

Not really sure Central's coach needs to be on the hot seat yet. He really has made positive changes since Reed left.

What I've heard from Central fans is the reason they want him gone for is because the jv team wins a lot and he can't win at the varsity level and that's from a few different people.  

Just now, goose111874 said:

What I've heard from Central fans is the reason they want him gone for is because the jv team wins a lot and he can't win at the varsity level and that's from a few different people.  

I remember a time when Appy's JV beat PV most years, but couldn't when those same players were on varsity, and vice versa. 

Not to say they don't have a valid argument, however, JV success or lack thereof may be an indicator of varsity performance, but it's never a guarantee.

15 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

3 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I remember a time when Appy's JV beat PV most years, but couldn't when those same players were on varsity, and vice versa. 

Not to say they don't have a valid argument, however, JV success or lack thereof may be an indicator of varsity performance, but it's never a guarantee.

Also sometimes at the JV level kids are a year or two older, which is a big deal in maturity and other things at that age level, as opposed to once they become older.

3 hours ago, halosports said:

Also sometimes at the JV level kids are a year or two older, which is a big deal in maturity and other things at that age level, as opposed to once they become older.

Yeah I've heard they play a lot of sophomores and I'm not sure if everyone does that or not.

3 hours ago, halosports said:

Sometimes you have schools that only have 28-30 kids on the team and don't have enough to make a JV team.  

I don’t know a whole lot about how Akers is doing at Gate City. I do know it takes way longer to build a program back than to tear it down. Akers did a good job in his second year at Rural Retreat. 

Uhh.  Check amount of kids and coaches he ran off at RR.   Program still trying to recover.  Kinda like our guy down the road......

5 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Back in my day Hurley used to rule Vansant, Harman, JM Bevins, Big Rock in little league. Then beat the hell outta Haysi, Honaker, Twin Valley in JV. But when you have one kid bigger, faster, stronger in those levels you win. That doesn’t Translate into high school (unless you have some ungodly talent like a jones or Johnson or Miller). The coach can’t have a fast kid run sweeps all night because the LB is 110lbs. Doesn’t work at that level.