Coaching Hot Seat

Widespread_Panic

7 hours ago, gchs791 said:

Nick Colobro or Graham Clark for 4 or 5 years with a young apprentise or Maybe Robbie Norris.

Are you nuts, why would Graham Clark, Nick Colobro or especially Robbie Norris want to be anywhere close to the dumpster fire that is GC football right now. I love Gate City football like no other but that's just nuts!

2 hours ago, SXSW said:

Are you nuts, why would Graham Clark, Nick Colobro or especially Robbie Norris want to be anywhere close to the dumpster fire that is GC football right now. I love Gate City football like no other but that's just nuts!

As much respect as I have for Colobro, if there aren't immediate results in the showings, he will flee

I'm hopeful Akers gets another year at GC.  I am a fan of all coaches getting 3 years.  I'm hopeful our AD is removed.  He needs replaced immediately.  As for GC and turning it around, I've read things like Dumpster Fire and "Jesus being unable to resurrect" GC's program in this thread, etc.  Incredibly, these 2 folks have some Tazewell connections.  LOL.  That's kind of like getting knocked out, then getting up and saying, "I will kick your a**."  Gate City will be turned around because it's Gate City.  Winning, tradition and Gate City go hand in hand, and if it can be turned around by Graham, it can be turned around by Gate City.  Now, if one wishes to talk about a dumpster fire or not being able to resurrect a program, then the Bulldogs of Tazewell come first to mind.  Just sayin...... The Gate will be great again and soon, we will have a solid and proven coach at the helm to allow us to challenge for yet another, state title.

14 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

I'm hopeful Akers gets another year at GC.  I am a fan of all coaches getting 3 years.  I'm hopeful our AD is removed.  He needs replaced immediately.  As for GC and turning it around, I've read things like Dumpster Fire and "Jesus being unable to resurrect" GC's program in this thread, etc.  Incredibly, these 2 folks have some Tazewell connections.  LOL.  That's kind of like getting knocked out, then getting up and saying, "I will kick your a**."  Gate City will be turned around because it's Gate City.  Winning, tradition and Gate City go hand in hand, and if it can be turned around by Graham, it can be turned around by Gate City.  Now, if one wishes to talk about a dumpster fire or not being able to resurrect a program, then the Bulldogs of Tazewell come first to mind.  Just sayin...... The Gate will be great again and soon, we will have a solid and proven coach at the helm to allow us to challenge for yet another, state title.

I say this specifically regarding Tazewell but applies to anywhere.  If you make the wrong choices in your coaching hires, you get what you deserve.  Two if not three of the last coaches should have never been hired in the first place for Tazewell.  Also like it or not politics can play a huge factor for anybody.  We have had our share of it and it looks like Richlands has a taste of it this year.

57 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

I called Gate City a dumpster fire because it is and I graduated from Gate City. I called it what it is and for you to think that this team will anymore than four games next year is crazy. Union, Ridgeview, John Battle will beat them. Richlands, Boone and Marion will beat them that leaves Lee, Central, Abingdon and South as toss-up's and two of those four will not be easy.

1 hour ago, TTownTigers said:

I've never seen a joke not go completely over your head. 

Nick Colobro is a great coach and he didn't leave Tazewell for any other reason than the players not wanting to put forth the effort required by his system.  He expects his players to pay their dues, and most of the players in Tazewell would not come out to lift this past summer, so there you have it.  As for political situations in Richlands, its only one player who is kin to a couple of adults in the school system, and as so many have said, "one player should not make that much difference."   Gate City/Richlands/Tazewell all will rebound, some faster than others, but to this RHS fan, its boring when you blow everyone out, and a close game is well worth the price of the ticket.  I hope all area schools do well and we can enjoy close games for years to come. 

1 hour ago, SXSW said:

I called Gate City a dumpster fire because it is and I graduated from Gate City. I called it what it is and for you to think that this team will anymore than four games next year is crazy. Union, Ridgeview, John Battle will beat them. Richlands, Boone and Marion will beat them that leaves Lee, Central, Abingdon and South as toss-up's and two of those four will not be easy.

Abingdon will roll GC next year.  Abingdon is only graduating 14 seniors and and will have 20+ seniors next season.  Now in 2019 GC may make a run at AHS as they will be short on upperclassmen then but if GC is in the 3 year plan to get back to "what it once was", They may not beat the Falcons then either.  Lee and Central may be toss ups and possibly South if they stayed on the schedule

15 minutes ago, Falcon Mania said:

Abingdon will roll GC next year.  Abingdon is only graduating 14 seniors and and will have 20+ seniors next season.  Now in 2019 GC may make a run at AHS as they will be short on upperclassmen then but if GC is in the 3 year plan to get back to "what it once was", They may not beat the Falcons then either.  Lee and Central may be toss ups and possibly South if they stayed on the schedule

With the right staff and leadership, the Gate will handle the Falcons in 2019 just like we have for many, many times going back decades, and that's regardless of how many seniors Abingdon returns. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Blue 72 said:

Nick Colobro is a great coach and he didn't leave Tazewell for any other reason than the players not wanting to put forth the effort required by his system.  He expects his players to pay their dues, and most of the players in Tazewell would not come out to lift this past summer, so there you have it.  As for political situations in Richlands, its only one player who is kin to a couple of adults in the school system, and as so many have said, "one player should not make that much difference."   Gate City/Richlands/Tazewell all will rebound, some faster than others, but to this RHS fan, its boring when you blow everyone out, and a close game is well worth the price of the ticket.  I hope all area schools do well and we can enjoy close games for years to come. 

You are completely wrong if you think think that’s the only reason he left!

2 hours ago, Blue 72 said:

Nick Colobro is a great coach and he didn't leave Tazewell for any other reason than the players not wanting to put forth the effort required by his system.  He expects his players to pay their dues, and most of the players in Tazewell would not come out to lift this past summer, so there you have it.  

Ehh, that very well could've been one of the reasons but it wasn't "The Reason".

3 hours ago, TTownTigers said:

Gate City is fully primed for a lengthy run of being Tazewell, Jr.  I don’t wish that upon the kids, but goodness, fans like you deserve it, tenfold.

Of course, Coach Akers needs more time.  The Gate City program is about to turn the corner.  They are currently on a winning streak.  I mean he was hired as a teacher first and football coach second right?  Everybody makes it sound like he was hired just to be a football coach.  Doesn't Scott County have a policy you have to be employed as a teacher to coach?

33 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Gate City is fully primed for a lengthy run of being Tazewell, Jr.  I don’t wish that upon the kids, but goodness, fans like you deserve it, tenfold.

I would have said the same about Graham a few years ago, but things can change quickly. If they can change that quickly for Graham, then certainly they can change at Great City. 

55 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

With the right staff and leadership, the Gate will handle the Falcons in 2019 just like we have for many, many times going back decades, and that's regardless of how many seniors Abingdon returns. Time will tell.

Key word in that whole statement is TIME.  How much time?  1 season? 4 seasons?  Hoping against hope is not a lot of hope.  But I'm sure GC will get back someday.  Until there is a culture change back to what they used to be they will mire themselves with they have become.  This is not an easy fix for the GC faithful by any means.   

Same staff, same administration, same results for Gate City....The longer Roberts and Akers are there, the harder it is going to be on the next guys to fix it.  There are 10 schools that are happy akers is staying and that is the 10 schools gate city is playing next year.     Good luck gc football...it will get worse before it gets better

How does the modern approach and style of football affect our area teams? The new approach relies a lot on the skill positions. The classic style, that was so successful in the past, was to line up and out mussel in the trenches. Does one style require more athletes than the other? Could a lower number of students limit your ability to sustain success?  

13 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Not my place. Maybe @Bulldogs52 will tell you or maybe we can just keep blaming the Tazewell kids for Coloboro bailing instead of streaking that squeaky clean window. 

You are correct, and it’s not my place to even air it out! Most of the community knows some of the reason he decided not stay!