Marion at Virginia High

Canes00

4 hours ago, Canes00 said:

This should be a good one.. Thoughts and Predictions 

I agree. This is a huge game for both teams. Marion needs this one to setup a district championship showdown with Graham the following week and the Bearcats need to win the final 2 and a little help to get a first round game at home. Not sure on a prediction yet, until I watch some film, but I imagine it will be a slugfest. Hopefully the Bearcats laid their only egg of the season in Bluefield last week, and they show up ready for this one. It's gonna be tough.

Good luck to Marion!

After watching film on Marion, it seems that they have a pretty stout D, and Ford runs the ball hard. It's still really tough to make a prediction, so I'll lay out what I think the two most possible scenarios are....

1. Both teams bring their "A" game and it literally comes down to the last possession to decide a winner, or....

2. VHS does not call/execute the best game plan to give themselves a chance, and it becomes a runaway, just like @ Graham. At least on tape, Marion seems too fundamentally sound for VHS to try and rely on them to lay an egg.

If someone holds a gun to my head and makes me pick, I think VHS wins in a scenario 1 type game. They had a similar game with so much on the line in Bluefield a couple weeks ago and failed miserably. I believe they have learned from that. Also, having it at home, on Senior Night with a packed house, may help.

With that said, Marion has had an extra week to prepare, so that may give them the edge. Who knows? Lol

Regardless of the winner, if scenario 1 happens, it should make for an excellent game.

This game is particularly close to home for Marion people, with all the comparisons that common folk and media alike have been making between this team and the "undefeated" '87 team.

They did get to 11-0 being undefeated in 1987, but there aren't many folks who have forgotten who put the "1" in 11-1.

32 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I think bye weeks only help with injuries but hurt on gameday. Just my opinion.

I have seen that, over the years, with teams coming out flat after bye weeks. VHS came out flat after the bye against Chilhowie this year. We finally woke up in the 2nd half to win by 3 scores but you could just tell that we were a little off, early.

33 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

This game is particularly close to home for Marion people, with all the comparisons that common folk and media alike have been making between this team and the "undefeated" '87 team.

They did get to 11-0 being undefeated in 1987, but there aren't many folks who have forgotten who put the "1" in 11-1.

That would be around the last time VHS has been able to field a consistently competitive team, the late 80's under Wheeler. It's been a roller coaster ride(with more downs than ups) ever since.

Locke possibly could have done more with a little more time. He's done a tremendous job of bringing East out of the Sullivan Co. basement.

I believe Crist has the program headed in the right direction. VHS loses a few good players after this season, but should have enough coming back to be included in the top teams in the region again next year.

No doubt ... any team can have a really bad game on any given night. That said, I cannot get the shellacking that Virginia High received in Bluefield two weeks ago out of my head.  

If ... IF ... Marion is as advertised ... this game should have at least a two touchdown differential. Therefore, Bristol should be expecting a Hurricane warning on Friday night ...

Marion 28   Virginia High 14

9 minutes ago, starcityfootballfan said:

No doubt ... any team can have a really bad game on any given night. That said, I cannot get the shellacking that Virginia High received in Bluefield two weeks ago out of my head.  

That's what you call a Perfect Storm. Going by what other posters have said on here, that was Graham's most disciplined game played of the year. They were flawless. VHS was just the opposite. Cooke definitely gives Graham the edge in talent, but VHS choked when the lights were the brightest. Players and coaches. If that team shows up against Marion, it will be a similar result.

14 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

That's what you call a Perfect Storm. Going by what other posters have said on here, that was Graham's most disciplined game played of the year. They were flawless. VHS was just the opposite. Cooke definitely gives Graham the edge in talent, but VHS choked when the lights were the brightest. Players and coaches. If that team shows up against Marion, it will be a similar result.

Exactly!  Another ... "everything so right ... everything so wrong" game. It happens to the best of teams especially when we ... as fans ... least expect it.

Good luck Friday night!

4 minutes ago, starcityfootballfan said:

Exactly!  Another ... "everything so right ... everything so wrong" game. It happens to the best of teams especially when we ... as fans ... least expect it.

Good luck Friday night!

Agreed. I know that all of Bearcat Nation hopes to get another shot at Graham in the playoffs. Not at all because we're sure we'd win, but having what's considered to be a good year for Va High, that was just a sad showing on our part, and we would like to show that we're a little better than that score indicated. Va High AND Graham deserved a better effort from us. 

Thanks, and good luck to you guys as well!

I haven't seen the bearcats except some highlights here and there and from what I've observed they have a big line and some good athletes. I think this game comes down to whether they can contain Ford or not he will get his yardage but can VA High limit the big plays Ford makes. The only 2 teams that limited Ford from having big plays was Grayson and Richlands in my opinion the best defenses we've faced this season. I'm going with the Canes I think Ford breaks a long one in the 4th. Marion 28 Virginia High 21

14 minutes ago, Canes00 said:

I haven't seen the bearcats except some highlights here and there and from what I've observed they have a big line and some good athletes. I think this game comes down to whether they can contain Ford or not he will get his yardage but can VA High limit the big plays Ford makes. The only 2 teams that limited Ford from having big plays was Grayson and Richlands in my opinion the best defenses we've faced this season. I'm going with the Canes I think Ford breaks a long one in the 4th. Marion 28 Virginia High 21

You hit the nail on the head about VHS. They're big and athletic. Graham laid the blueprint on how to move the ball against the Bearcats' D. No team we've played has had very much success running between the tackles. Again, we're big up front and have a potential All-State LB in the middle. 

Any team with any rushing success has exposed our lack of contain to the outside. This includes Carter at TN. High, Scarborough at Battle, Sanchez at Chilhowie, Jordan at Abingdon, and Allen and Cooke at Graham. Cooke's was receiving but outside of one touchdown, most of the damage he did on offense came on bubble screens. Technically a pass play but close to a running play.

We have fast athletes on the outside but they are very prone to getting sucked inside and losing containment.

Looking forward to this matchup!