Central @ GC

Grapeape

Seems like we had these same conversation about Ridgeveiw last year, it seems like they are fine now but he had a couple of state rings in his fingers to buy some time, Kevin Saunders always loved beating PV maybe he is growing tired of GA

Oh I for sure dislike GC football, GC athletics in general.  Although I have personally enjoyed this season (along with many many other football fans from around SWVA)I hate it for those kids and it's hard seeing SWVA football royalty fall this far. 

My perspective on the fan base does come mostly from this board but I have acquaintances that are GC supporters and one on staff(great guy, sorry he's had to deal with this season).

Youre talking about searching for a coach from TN, GA, NC, WV... why would anyone from those places come to SWVA (or NET since GC is so close) without ties here?  For a small school program that just ran off a coach after 2 years (assuming Akers is done) and just went 1-9/0-10. I just don't see it. Not a proven winner HC anyway. 

And to to top it off, stating that jealousy or hate is why others posting in this thread disagree with you is laughable

I think the days of being a playoff tier team year in and year out are over. Until we fire Akers, it’ll never happen. But that’s step #1 in rebuilding the program. 

I questioned the hire myself. I was willing to give the guy a shot to prove himself. He has drove the last nail into the coffin of GC football in only 21 games and only proved that the GC job is too big for him. I honestly don’t think we win the 5 games that he has in his win column at GC if it were not for Gary Collier stepping in last season and finally convincing Akers to let Hunter Collier and Tyler Hamilton shine in the spread formation where they can be athletes and not power runners. Once Gary Collier left, Akers went back to what he knows. Time to swallow some pride as an admin and school board and ask Jeremey Houseright to take over. It’s not about anyone other than kids playing, put egos aside and hire the right guy who is already in the hallways. The kids love Houseright, he still cares about the players, he cared enough to paint the GC at midfield for homecoming for the boys when they asked for it when it hadn’t been there all year. (Been a staple st GC since 2009, Another tradition Akers tried to kill) He doesn’t have to go to games, talk to players, or even spend his time painting the GC logo on the field when he isn’t even coaching any longer, but he does.  I hate Jeremey stepped away, but maybe it’s because he cannot get along with Akers like other assistants couldn’t last season and didn’t want to cause any friction with him in front of the kids? Jeremey Houseright might not be able to fix the program, but he will have players come play for him that are threatening not playing next year, he will teach Gate City football and how things are to be done, he will listen to his players and assistants and respect their input. And Houseright has fire, how much fire have you seen from Akers? Absolutely none! Kids don’t feed off of him. He gives a negative vibe if any.  Akers is the type of guy so set in his ways he rather sink the ship doing things strictly his way than to plug the holes and keep it afloat with someone else’s ideas. 

But I don’t think our program will survive another year of Akers. All the assistants jumped ship last year for a reason, now the players are doing the same. And we all know why, some just don’t want to admit it. If we continue on with him, we will not have a football team in 2019 due to underclassmen and middle schoolers players threatening to walk away if things are not changed...quickly! The days of Colobro are gone, he is not coming back. Big Bill is not coming back. Reed is not coming back. Jones is not coming back. Maybe it’s time to see what Jeremey can do. After 3 straight losing records, it can’t get worse. Time to give him a shot imo. And you don’t even have to hire him and worry about him moving his family and etc. He’s already here and has blue blood. 

It’s time to bring back the Pride and Tradition to GC football. 

8 hours ago, redtiger said:

)I hate it for those kids and it's hard seeing SWVA football royalty fall this far. 

My perspective on the fan base does come mostly from this board but I have acquaintances that are GC supporters and one on staff(great guy, sorry he's had to deal with this season).

Youre talking about searching for a coach from TN, GA, NC, WV... why would anyone from those places come to SWVA (or NET since GC is so close) without ties here?  For a small school program that just ran off a coach after 2 years (assuming Akers is done) and just went 1-9/0-10. I just don't see it. Not a proven winner HC anyway. 

And to to top it off, stating that jealousy or hate is why others posting in this thread gisagree with you is laughable

"Oh I for sure dislike GC football, GC athletics in general.  Although I have personally enjoyed this season (along with many many other football fans from around SWVA."  Glad you were a big-boy and able to admit that.  I don't dislike your team though.  Why?  I just don't take ya serious enough.  I guess that's the product of winning and winning for many years.  You don't develop enough of an emotional attachment to care very much about the rest.  I don't have that jealousy and hatred.  Thankfully, I played at GC, so those emotions aren't there regarding wishing other teams to actually lose or not be successful.  

"My perspective on the fan base does come mostly from this board but I have acquaintances that are GC supporters and one on staff(great guy, sorry he's had to deal with this season)."  Ok, so the sample size goes from 0.3 to 0.4% of what the GC fanbase "thinks" in your opinion.  LOL.  Brilliant.

"You're talking about searching for a coach from TN, GA, NC, WV... why would anyone from those places come to SWVA (or NET since GC is so close) without ties here?"  The reasons were given in the previous thread.  Great tradition, great history of winning, small town in Appalachia located near Tric-cities, and the very fact that the recent coach went 0-10 is a huge plus for getting a coach.  GC has far, far more connections that perhaps 75% or more of folks on this board realize, to include former players at different places coaching, and those who coached under them, etc.  We have large, large amounts of ties, and no, I'm not talking about Colobro, lol.

"For a small school program that just ran off a coach after 2 years" <----False.  That's your OPINION of what happened with the words, "ran off".  Akers running himself off would be the majority opinion.

"I just don't see it. "  Again, your opinion, but I suspect it's more your WISH than it is opinion.  

"And to to top it off, stating that jealousy or hate is why others posting in this thread disagree with you is laughable."  For starters, a little bit of fallacy in there when you wrote the words, "why others posting" as if to include every single poster who has ever commented about the situation.  I stated in my post, the words, "some posters."  I didn't use or write the words, "all posters."  Notice the difference?  Your attempt to distort my words by use of fallacy was just noticed and called out.  I also stand by that.  The thought that someone such as yourself is "neutral" or only "posting out of concern for the situation" or a "like for High School Football" is an absolute joke and what's truly laughable.  You and some (keyword is some) others post in GC threads because they are bitter, angry, jealous as those beatings over the years and jealous of GC's past success.  It's why UVAObserver chimes in.  Do you really think he'll ever let that 70-0 beating go? Of course not, at least until the favor is returned.  Most fans certainly can let it go, but some can't, and the majority (not all) of those posting in these GC threads are haters, and you have absolutely no one fooled, no matter how much you think you do.

48 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

"Oh I for sure dislike GC football, GC athletics in general.  Although I have personally enjoyed this season (along with many many other football fans from around SWVA."  Glad you were a big-boy and able to admit that.  I don't dislike your team though.  Why?  I just don't take ya serious enough.  I guess that's the product of winning and winning for many years.  You don't develop enough of an emotional attachment to care very much about the rest.  I don't have that jealousy and hatred.  Thankfully, I played at GC, so those emotions aren't there regarding wishing other teams to actually lose or not be successful.  

"My perspective on the fan base does come mostly from this board but I have acquaintances that are GC supporters and one on staff(great guy, sorry he's had to deal with this season)."  Ok, so the sample size goes from 0.3 to 0.4% of what the GC fanbase "thinks" in your opinion.  LOL.  Brilliant.

"You're talking about searching for a coach from TN, GA, NC, WV... why would anyone from those places come to SWVA (or NET since GC is so close) without ties here?"  The reasons were given in the previous thread.  Great tradition, great history of winning, small town in Appalachia located near Tric-cities, and the very fact that the recent coach went 0-10 is a huge plus for getting a coach.  GC has far, far more connections that perhaps 75% or more of folks on this board realize, to include former players at different places coaching, and those who coached under them, etc.  We have large, large amounts of ties, and no, I'm not talking about Colobro, lol.

"For a small school program that just ran off a coach after 2 years" <----False.  That's your OPINION of what happened with the words, "ran off".  Akers running himself off would be the majority opinion.

"I just don't see it. "  Again, your opinion, but I suspect it's more your WISH than it is opinion.  

"And to to top it off, stating that jealousy or hate is why others posting in this thread disagree with you is laughable."  For starters, a little bit of fallacy in there when you wrote the words, "why others posting" as if to include every single poster who has ever commented about the situation.  I stated in my post, the words, "some posters."  I didn't use or write the words, "all posters."  Notice the difference?  Your attempt to distort my words by use of fallacy was just noticed and called out.  I also stand by that.  The thought that someone such as yourself is "neutral" or only "posting out of concern for the situation" or a "like for High School Football" is an absolute joke and what's truly laughable.  You and some (keyword is some) others post in GC threads because they are bitter, angry, jealous as those beatings over the years and jealous of GC's past success.  It's why UVAObserver chimes in.  Do you really think he'll ever let that 70-0 beating go? Of course not, at least until the favor is returned.  Most fans certainly can let it go, but some can't, and the majority (not all) of those posting in these GC threads are haters, and you have absolutely no one fooled, no matter how much you think you do.

TL;DR

Not everyone who dislikes GC is jealous. Much of the disdain comes from the arrogance of a good portion of the fan base. Then again, another good portion of the fan base is pretty cool. The arrogant fans seem to overshadow the good ones. 

Are people jealous of GC for their success in the past? Of course. As a PV grad, I can attest to the fact that winning programs will bring out jealousy among other fan bases. They also bring out arrogance among their own fan bases. 

For that reason a lot of people will enjoy the fans of that team throw fits when said program’s success QUICKLY dwindles like GC’s program is doing.

I am pretty sure that a few weeks ago a GC fan on here said that the GC fans deserve wins. I don’t remember exactly WHO said it. First off, fans of every team deserve NOTHING. The athletes of that program deserve success only as long as they work for it. The fans are just there to watch it. I am sure many of the GC athletes are working hard. Kudos to the ones who are sticking with their team in their moment of turmoil. 

Statements claiming that the fan base deserves to watch a winning program and claiming jealousy everytime someone even remotely criticizes Gate City are reminding people why they dislike GC or have disliked them before.

I have never seen UVAObserver get disgruntled on here over Graham’s 70-0 loss at the hands of Gate City. A lot of teams and their fan bases would normally be sour about something like that anyway until they avenged it and then they probably get over it after they get revenge. UVAO is a classy guy so I would be surprised if he kept going on about it. I am sure a lot of people from Graham—players and fans—would love to avenge that loss in a regulation game.

It seems like in 2015 a lot of GC faithful wanted Bill Houseright to step down. I am neither taking up for him nor am I saying those who wanted it were right but they got what they asked for. Is GC any better off since he stepped down?

9 minutes ago, trumpet1988 said:

Not everyone who dislikes GC is jealous. Much of the disdain comes from the arrogance of a good portion of the fan base. Then again, another good portion of the fan base is pretty cool. The arrogant fans seem to overshadow the good ones. 

Are people jealous of GC for their success in the past? Of course. As a PV grad, I can attest to the fact that winning programs will bring out jealousy among other fan bases. They also bring out arrogance among their own fan bases. 

For that reason a lot of people will enjoy the fans of that team throw fits when said program’s success QUICKLY dwindles like GC’s program is doing.

I am pretty sure that a few weeks ago a GC fan on here said that the GC fans deserve wins. I don’t remember exactly WHO said it. First off, fans of every team deserve NOTHING. The athletes of that program deserve success only as long as they work for it. The fans are just there to watch it. I am sure many of the GC athletes are working hard. Kudos to the ones who are sticking with their team in their moment of turmoil. 

Statements claiming that the fan base deserves to watch a winning program and claiming jealousy everytime someone even remotely criticizes Gate City are reminding people why they dislike GC or have disliked them before.

I have never seen UVAObserver get disgruntled on here over Graham’s 70-0 loss at the hands of Gate City. A lot of teams and their fan bases would normally be sour about something like that anyway until they avenged it and then they probably get over it after they get revenge. UVAO is a classy guy so I would be surprised if he kept going on about it. I am sure a lot of people from Graham—players and fans—would love to avenge that loss in a regulation game.

It seems like in 2015 a lot of GC faithful wanted Bill Houseright to step down. I am neither taking up for him nor am I saying those who wanted it were right but they got what they asked for. Is GC any better off since he stepped down?

I wish I could like this post multiple times.

Just now, trumpet1988 said:

This is 100% correct. 

I can't speak on this from a football perspective, but I sure can in baseball. Virginia High is tied for the 2nd most State Championships in the entire state, in any classification, in baseball. With JJ Kelly no longer in existence, we are the kings of the mountain top in this region, historically speaking, for active schools. We are DESPISED by most other fan bases, purely because of our success. 

The popular word for people to describe us is "recruiting". Only one of the seven State Championships we have won, could anyone come close to having a solid argument while claiming "recruiting".

44 minutes ago, trumpet1988 said:

This statement definitely hits home especially with the way Narrows is towards Giles. Giles loves to see Narrows have success and I believe that most Giles fans pull for Narrows when we aren't playing them. But Narrows is so jealous of Giles, that they drove over 2 hours to Appomattox just so that they could cheer against Giles. They were also cheering for Graham when Giles played them this season. County teams should pull for one another another but I guess when one county team is head and shoulders above the other for decades, it brings on jealousy. 

51 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

This is 100% correct. 

I can't speak on this from a football perspective, but I sure can in baseball. Virginia High is tied for the 2nd most State Championships in the entire state, in any classification, in baseball. With JJ Kelly no longer in existence, we are the kings of the mountain top in this region, historically speaking, for active schools. We are DESPISED by most other fan bases, purely because of our success. 

The popular word for people to describe us is "recruiting". Only one of the seven State Championships we have won, could anyone come close to having a solid argument while claiming "recruiting".

We GC fans have enjoyed an ultra-successful football program for many years. Our basketball team has been pretty decent the last 20 years or so also. :) I can see how a lot of us would come across as arrogant....I would prefer "confident". :) 

There are only a handful of football programs in our area who have the same type of legacy we have........PV, Appy, Graham, Richlands, Union is working on it, and a few others. Of course we have gotten on some nerves and ruffled some feathers the last 50 years. To a lot of teams down our way, beating GC in any sport is looked at like it is a big deal. Battle just got their first ever home win against GC. Guess that was a big deal for them. (Just like GC beating V-High in baseball is a big deal..........for the same reasons.)

Don't kid yourselves.....SOME of the posts on this board reek of jealousy and of the pleasure of GC literally stinking up the joint........which is fine. We have dished it out for many years. Is unfortunately time to "take our medicine".

I was an Akers' supporter initially. Obviously it is not working out with him. The program is tracking backwards with him at the helm.

Unfortunately............there is not an easy fix. Going to have to have a new HC. Going to have to create more interest in the program. Going to take some time.

2 hours ago, TTownTigers said:

We do not hate Gate City and we are not jealous of Gate City. And believe it or not tomorrow night when those kids get in the huddle before each play they won't be talking about you or Gate City. So just calm down get yourself the next Nick Saban and stop whining!

I don't know enough about Gate City to be jealous of the program.  My one and only interaction was when my brothers Grayson team traveled to Gate City.  I don't recall the year exactly, either '96 or '97.  We were made to feel welcome and never felt any hostility or arrogance.  My brother suffered a concussion in that game when he caught a slant over the middle and Houseright teed off on him.  It was a great, legal and completely devastating hit.  Gate City had a great team that season.  If i'm not mistaken, they won a state championship.  They could have chosen a score over a struggling Grayson team that finished 3-7 (0-10 after the season was forfeited for an ineligible player).  Gate City's coaching staff called off the dogs and won 33-6.  It could have and should have been much worse.

Snickers had a series of commercials on TV at that time where a football player was knocked silly on the field, the coach asks him who he is and the player replies "I'm Batman".  Following the game, Gate City's head coach, along with several players, came over to my brother, patted him on the backside and said "are you Batman"?  Some may have thought it was an insensitive or unwelcomed comment.  We thought it brought a moment of levity to the situation.  I didn't know the coach at the time.  I assume now, it was Nick Colobro.  Regardless of his reputation, I have always appreciated him taking that moment to check on my brother's health. The handful of players who came over were equally as gracious.  The only two I can name would be Houseright and Shoemaker.  Shoemaker was hard not to recognize given he was the only player on the field taller than my 6'-6" brother.

We are often quick to point out anything negative.  I thought it might interest some to hear something positive about the Gate City program.  Even if it did happen 20 years ago.

12 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

Seems like we had these same conversation about Ridgeveiw last year, it seems like they are fine now but he had a couple of state rings in his fingers to buy some time, Kevin Saunders always loved beating PV maybe he is growing tired of GA

Yes sir.  I admit I was one of the Debbie Downers last year as well as a majority of the few fans that were showing up at games.  I remember being at that Marion game last year and our fans absolutely lacing Mullins with profanity.  A parent, who I went to high school with said at that same game last year he wasn't going to let his kid play this year and he kept to his word.  His son's not playing this year.  But somehow, someway, Mullins has righted the ship in Dickenson County.  Chalk it up to a more diverse play calling system, and also a bevy of talent at the skill positions including a hell of a freshman running back.  Anyways, I'm glad it got turned around, and us, the fan base was proven wrong.

4 hours ago, TTownTigers said:

You don't know who my team is, im not a Ridgeview guy(I don't live in Dickenson County anymore and don't have any connections to the team).

My sample size of the GC fan base is very small, maybe 10 people total. No where did I state anything to the contrary but that sample is pretty diverse. I assume you have spoken to every GC supporter? Probably not, so its safe to say your sample size is around 5-10%. But that is just my opinion.

Google search "Akers, gate city" and this comes up   https://www.thepetitionsite.com/629/493/130/demand-coach-akers-be-replaced/     id say that's enough to say he is being ran off. Plus theres all the posts on this board stating that he needs to go.

That is my opinion. I don't like seeing GC like this, nobody really does(well there are some that undoubtedly do). Its ok to see them have a horrible season to cap off a string of bad seasons but for SWVA football to be strong GC needs to be strong. That's what I want to see.

If Id wanted to say "every single poster" that's what I would have said, I said "others" as in some but not all, there is no difference. Am I neutral? No I support local football and support a local team, Im invested to some degree but what Im really doing is discussing the ins and outs of local football on a DISCUSSION board.  Im not bitter, angry, or jealous of GCs success. My school took 2 whoopings from GC in football and 1 that I remember in basketball (im not really a basketball guy). The only thing that im bitter or angry about concerning GC is the fact that them playing up through the 90s contributed to drawing Haysi up into D2 and cost my program some success(throw Grundy and Graham into that pot, imo they screwed us but ive discussed that before, no secret there).

Your arrogance is unbelievable.  As if the only way that someone could disagree with you is that they hate Gate City and are jealous. No way it could be that theyre just discussing the situation

15 hours ago, TTownTigers said:

And I respect your opinion.

If things continue to be this way for Gate City then it very well could be awhile before they will sniff another football State Championship. 

I think Canes00 made a quite reasonable prediction based on the state of things. 

This is denial. 

LOL, looks like some of you got your piggy tails pulled and are a bit sensitive when the truth hits home.  Fact is, some (not all) but some of the posts as I eluded to earlier are in fact, motivated with jealousy, dislike, and hatred for Gate City.  That's a fact that any reasonable human can deduce from reading this thread and others. 

As for who Gate City gets, or who they can get, or who they can't get, etc.  That could be debated for days, weeks, and months as it's only opinions and no clear cut way to know.  But, "screaming, being loud, multiple shouts" or saying it over and over that "Gate City can't get a proven winner," does Not make it true.  Hopefully, it reinforces your own "wishes" by repeating it, but it still, does not make it true. The Gate......will come out great like always.  Why?  That's who Gate City is.........a pre-selected winner by whoever one wishes to believe is in charge of the selecting. 

45 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

LOL, looks like some of you got your piggy tails pulled and are a bit sensitive when the truth hits home.  Fact is, some (not all) but some of the posts as I eluded to earlier are in fact, motivated with jealousy, dislike, and hatred for Gate City.  That's a fact that any reasonable human can deduce from reading this thread and others. 

As for who Gate City gets, or who they can get, or who they can't get, etc.  That could be debated for days, weeks, and months as it's only opinions and no clear cut way to know.  But, "screaming, being loud, multiple shouts" or saying it over and over that "Gate City can't get a proven winner," does Not make it true.  Hopefully, it reinforces your own "wishes" by repeating it, but it still, does not make it true. The Gate......will come out great like always.  Why?  That's who Gate City is.........a pre-selected winner by whoever one wishes to believe is in charge of the selecting. 

Doubling down on a stupid proposition doesn’t make you correct or justified.  It makes you look doubly foolish and doubly delusional.  Next time you get the urge to produce copious amounts of typewritten diarrhea, just don’t.  Even if you were right (you’re not), and even if your assertions could be based in objectivity (they can’t), you’re pissing people off and making your team, fans, school, and community look like a bunch of entitled jackasses.

8 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Doubling down on a stupid proposition doesn’t make you correct or justified.  It makes you look doubly foolish and doubly delusional.  Next time you get the urge to produce copious amounts of typewritten diarrhea, just don’t.  Even if you were right (you’re not), and even if your assertions could be based in objectivity (they can’t), you’re pissing people off and making your team, fans, school, and community look like a bunch of entitled jackasses.

x1000

27 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

14 minutes ago, TwhscoachT said:

x1000

x1001

Jealousy? Ok. Let us take a look at that allegation, shall we?

I have said this several times. Gate City went 3-7 in 2015. They went 5-5 in regular season and lost the first round of the playoffs last year. That makes the overall record 5-6. You are 0-9. Though we Union fans want you guys to win tomorrow for points, you all might lose. 0-10. Your record from 2015 to the Present is a ghastly 8-22. I don’t believe anyone wants to be you guys right now. If this were 96, 97, 99, 00, 01,02, 03, 04, 08, 09, 10, and 14 then yes it possibly could be jealousy. The only two teams who couldn’t have been jealous of you in 97 are the former PV and Appy teams and fan bases because both teams beat you. In 01, PV, Richlands, and Floyd County beat you. No jealousy there. In 04, PV beat you. No jealousy. Richlands and Bluefield beat you in 10 but you all won state. 

In 2014, you all were capable of winning it and I had you making it there but Richlands stopped you 3rd round.   Since then, nobody wants to be you.

They may be jealous of old success but right now that is all you all have. Your past. In comparison to Tennessee Vols fans like me, all our Vols’ past is all we Vols fans and the football program have for now.  

Go and support your team. They need their fans and parents right now. Quit making pretentious statements that do nothing to help the reputation of GC fans. 

Okay I've been quite long enough on this subject.  If your team is winning its easy to set and bask in the glory, but when a team is having a down year, or even a few, its easy to point fingers, and throw slurs around like you know what the heck you are talking about.  Loosing is tough, no matter who you are, but its even tougher when those you rely on for support let you down.  I've seen it from someone from GC and I've seen it from someone from Richlands this year, and I say shame on you.  If you can not support your team in the lean years, (when you are needed the most) then don't bother to call yourself a fan, and by all means don't call other people out and say they are jealous of a teams success.  Real fans do not get jealous of other teams, and they will stand by their team and coaches until the bitter end.  Most folks I know in GC and Richlands are doing just that, its only a few that isn't showing support, but criticizing players and coaches alike.  I say to those: "If you can not support your team when they need you the most, don't be so blind as to call yourself a fan."