Central @ GC

Grapeape

You can be against what a program is doing and where it’s heading and still be a fan and support. Just ask any Tennessee fan. Though they hate Butch Jones, they still want UT to win and they still attend games and wear orange every day of the week. (Unfortunately) Winning is an expectation at Gate City. It’s basically that simple. It’s hard to stand beside a coach who tells the players to not embarrass him and calls plays that the team doesn’t even know. At some point, you have to know when enough is enough. If you complain about your boss and how he handles certain things, does that mean you don’t want your job? Exactly! no, you still want your job. Just because someone didn’t vote for Trump and despises him, does that mean they want to move to North Korea or Mexico? Absolutely not, no matter how big of a game they talk. (My reference: a bunch of people in Hollywood who claimed they would leave)

9 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

This statement definitely hits home especially with the way Narrows is towards Giles. Giles loves to see Narrows have success and I believe that most Giles fans pull for Narrows when we aren't playing them. But Narrows is so jealous of Giles, that they drove over 2 hours to Appomattox just so that they could cheer against Giles. They were also cheering for Graham when Giles played them this season. County teams should pull for one another another but I guess when one county team is head and shoulders above the other for decades, it brings on jealousy. 

Kif_Kroker_8217.png

8 hours ago, redtiger said:

Google search "Akers, gate city" and this comes up   https://www.thepetitionsite.com/629/493/130/demand-coach-akers-be-replaced/     id say that's enough to say he is being ran off. Plus theres all the posts on this board stating that he needs to go.

Won't find my signature on there. Nothing more useless than an online petition. 

It should be mentioned that if GC beats Central, the Devils will have the same average of wins and losses under him as their 2015 record was. 6-15 the past 2 years averages out to a 3-7 record. So, 1 year of improvement and 1 year of regression...but not much different from 2015 as a whole.

Yes,  I think you are in this case.  That elevated Spartan sense of self importance is clouding your judgement once again.  It's ok though.  We all have our opinions and we all know the old saying is about those.

5 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Doubling down on a stupid proposition doesn’t make you correct or justified.  It makes you look doubly foolish and doubly delusional.  Next time you get the urge to produce copious amounts of typewritten diarrhea, just don’t.  Even if you were right (you’re not), and even if your assertions could be based in objectivity (they can’t), you’re pissing people off and making your team, fans, school, and community look like a bunch of entitled jackasses.

Good post, and especially the first sentence.  That sentence is more applicable to you.  If defending my team is "pissing people off,"  then hopefully people won't be so sensitive.  If pissing people off (and I'm not, you are just angry that my opinion is different from yours) is a premise that says....GC has been great for a long time, and we will be good again because we have the ability, and will get a solid proven coach and turn it around, then so be it.  Be "pissed" off.  My opinion is one I stand by, and that's really the only premise I've had about GC in all of these discussions.  Fact is, you would "feel better" if I told you, GC can't get a coach and we are done for and it's over for 20 years<and that's where the stupidity is (to use your word). Of course, you wouldn't be pissed off if that were the case, but again, the truth hurts, and the Gate will be Great again.  Is it really that "abrasive" of someone having the opinion we will be fine and will get a solid proven coach and be very good in the future?  Does is really bother you that much that someone has a different opinion of yours?  Like I wrote, lots of underlying distaste for the Gate by many (not all) but many fans LONG before these discussions started, and as for making people hate my team you say?  I couldn't care less how you "feel" about GC.  That's irrelevant to me.  What's relevant is....we get back on the right track with our football program and thankfully, hundreds of GC fan's want that and are trying to make that happen, and it will happen.

19 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

Good post, and especially the first sentence.  That sentence is more applicable to you.  If defending my team is "pissing people off,"  then hopefully people won't be so sensitive.  If pissing people off (and I'm not, you are just angry that my opinion is different from yours) is a premise that says....GC has been great for a long time, and we will be good again because we have the ability, and will get a solid proven coach and turn it around, then so be it.  Be "pissed" off.  My opinion is one I stand by, and that's really the only premise I've had about GC in all of these discussions.  Fact is, you would "feel better" if I told you, GC can't get a coach and we are done for and it's over for 20 years.  Of course, you wouldn't be pissed off if that were the case, but again, the truth hurts, and the Gate will be Great again. 

It’s funny that you ignore the meat and potatoes of my post, and then devour the after-dinner mint like a starving pit bull.  The main theme of my post was “stop spouting delusional opinions”.

The secondary theme, which I hope sinks in somehow, someway, is that this is a long-established community that has a low-key yet harmonious order.  Acting like some Hollywood stage parent because we aren’t prostrating our lowly selves at the altar of Gate City football like the Canaanites to Baal is not only turning the community against you, but poisoning perception against your team and school.  I bet they wouldn’t be too happy with the sideshow the unsilent minority of Gate City fans are putting on here.

The tertiary theme is that fans of programs like Graham, Bluefield, Richlands, Giles, and Union don’t have the wanker envy over Gate City’s tradition that you fantasize we do.  Graham won a state title back when there was only one and it truly meant something.  Union has almost triple the combined titles you do, Bluefield almost double.  Giles has the same number and has been much more dominant recently.  Richlands has been the gold standard for 15 years now.  Unlike Gate City, those 5 teams have a future that isn’t as bleak as a Johnny Cash wardrobe in the middle of a mile-long abandoned mine shaft at midnight.

TL;DR: Get over thineself.

I read some of that fluff, and I now feel dirty, and just not at sharp...The Gate will be great again and things will be good in a few years.. We will be back becuse we are destined to be back. I sense your anger and frustration ,  No need to be upset.

Article about Brady Webb’s season ending injury. 

“I’ve had a lot of support from everyone at the school,” Webb said. “The one person that has helped me more than anyone was my old coach, Jeremy Houseright. He has checked on me almost every day.”

Quote above speaks volumes.

Rest of the article here:

http://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/sidelined-webb-still-pours-heart-into-gate-city-program/article_d6af5218-bacf-11e7-a216-0b32ed6ca20c.html

14 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Clarification requested: mind, spirit, or presence on this board?

Yes, I agree, Gate City will be able to go out and get a solid proven coach because of our past success as a program and great tradition.   Hopefully we can turn it around after the Central Game.  I got Central winning by 7.