Central @ GC

Grapeape

10 minutes ago, redtiger said:

Having seen both     Central is faster      GC is more powerful.

It's a very interesting matchup of 2 teams that I thought would be better than they are

I can't speak on GC, but Central was a definite playoff team before injuries depleted them. I felt that when they were at full strength, they were a team that would finish as a 5 or 6 seed with the ability to pull off an upset in the 1st round.

Agreed. At full strength theyre pretty talented, 7 injuries to starters(most 2 way starters) later not so much.  I thought Central would be better defensively, their scores against Eastside and Grundy weren't what I expected, and those were before the injury bug hit them.

Watching GC in the first half at Battle… there is no way you could have convinced the casual observer that GC was an 0-8 team…  but by the end of the 3rd qtr., they were pretty beat up... don’t know if they will be healed up enough to play Friday night or not… If they can heal up and hair over some this week, GC could very well dominate the first half against Central… after that.. who knows… Central is beat up too...

Central will win by 7 pts.  It will be our closest game yet.  But, for the first time in the history of Gate City High School that was built in 1956, we go "Defeated" on the season.  If you can't go Undefeated, then might as well go Defeated.  I'm just glad we didn't lose by 70 points to an opponent this year, considering this is our worst in school history.  I can't imagine losing by 70 points to a team, but I can imagine winning by that much.

GATE CITY WINS, and they also start looking for a new coach.My understanding is that the principle of a school chooses the A.D. , and then the AD, PRINCIPLE can decide if a new coach is needed, so if the principle of GATE CITY decides he will make himself the AD ,he alone can decide the issue of coaching.So anyone wanting a new coach at GATE CITY, should be in the principles ear ,as well as the AD's.They also need to address the feeder programs problems, (peanut football,middle school and the travel ball programs, to recruit these athletes into playing football). The football program is suffering from top to bottom, the fans are there, the support (i.e. money)is there but someone with a GATE CITY type pedigree must be hired

1 hour ago, jarhead24219 said:

GATE CITY WINS, and they also start looking for a new coach.My understanding is that the principle of a school chooses the A.D. , and then the AD, PRINCIPLE can decide if a new coach is needed, so if the principle of GATE CITY decides he will make himself the AD ,he alone can decide the issue of coaching.So anyone wanting a new coach at GATE CITY, should be in the principles ear ,as well as the AD's.They also need to address the feeder programs problems, (peanut football,middle school and the travel ball programs, to recruit these athletes into playing football). The football program is suffering from top to bottom, the fans are there, the support (i.e. money)is there but someone with a GATE CITY type pedigree must be hired

Blah, Blah, Blah.

25 minutes ago, 50kw said:

Blah, Blah, Blah.

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant insight. Did you come up with all 3 "blah's" yourself? Well done, you creative thinking fan. I bet they let you vote don't they? As for Jarheads post, it was a good one and very informative, but I disagree with some of my fellow Great City brethren on one thing.

We absolutely do not need a coach with ties to or having a GC background. It would be nice, but should not be a prerequisite.  Because Akers is not from GC doesn't equate to the problem automatically being, "because he's not tied to GC, he has struggled." That has no relevance to his success or lack of success. Get a proven, sharp coach with the next hire and go for that, and if ties to GC, then great, but if not, that's OK. If we get a guy with GC ties, that doesn't automatically mean success. If we get a guy with no ties to GC, that doesn't automatically equal lack of success. The goal should be....get a solid, proven coach, and our status, tradition, and history still allows us to do that (no matter how many opposing fans choose to not believe it.)

11 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant insight. Did you come up with all 3 "blah's" yourself? Well done, you creative thinking fan. I bet they let you vote don't they? As for Jarheads post, it was a good one and very informative, but I disagree with some of my fellow Great City brethren on one thing.

We absolutely do not need a coach with ties to or having a GC background. It would be nice, but should not be a prerequisite.  Because Akers is not from GC doesn't equate to the problem automatically being, "because he's not tied to GC, he has struggled." That has no relevance to his success or lack of success. Get a proven, sharp coach with the next hire and go for that, and if ties to GC, then great, but if not, that's OK. If we get a guy with GC ties, that doesn't automatically mean success. If we get a guy with no ties to GC, that doesn't automatically equal lack of success. The goal should be....get a solid, proven coach, and our status, tradition, and history still allows us to do that (no matter how many opposing fans choose to not believe it.)

The problem isn’t that Gate City “can’t” hire a “solid, proven coach”, but it’s that there aren’t any fitting that category who are going to leave their current posts to come patch up a sinking battleship. Turner isn’t leaving Union; Mance isn’t leaving Richlands for anything that isn’t college or retirement;  Palmer’s a Graham guy and always will be; Mullins isn’t leaving home; and you all would consider Carroll from Marion or anyone of that pedigree a massive disappointment.

And I’m not even touching the butthurt “everyone hates us, waaaaah” ?.

The point is that, according to the fair weather faithful a couple years ago, the pedigree coaches could not coach and were destroying the great football tradition that the gods had bestowed upon the devils. You were given what you wanted and now you want to go back to what you say didn't work before. I do understand the feelings of entitlement that a winning tradition brings. What most outside observers on this board and elsewhere seem to find amusing is the fickleness of the blue masses. The inability to face the reality that maybe another sport (basketball) may be drawing more interest from the students, administration and community support is more than some are able to grasp.

It's not the kids or the tradition of the program that draws the Blah, Blah, Blah reaction from the casual observers. it's the drastic change in message that long-time board readers have noticed. It has gone from the arrogance and down talking attitude to other team supporters to unrealistic expectations and looking for a scapegoat to sacrifice without addressing the real issues.

That's all. 

Unless im badly mistaken Akers wasn't the top choice, or the 2nd choice. So the thought that "we have to go out and get a proven winner" is more than just a little arrogant. Who would want to go to GC right now??? 

The only people who would be interested in the job is a coach that has had some success and wants to step up to a bigger program,  a Gate City guy that wants to return the program to glory, or a coach that is living away from here and wants to move back to the area.

GC had a chance to land other good coaches and passed on them for Akers now those guys probably aren't interested given the current situation; disgruntled fan base that thinks it eternally should be / is 1995-2010, lack of community support, lack of talent at the varsity level, lack of talent in the pipeline, lack of administrative support, etc, etc. 

I respect the above opinions but disagree. Most of these are your assumptions (opinions) of what the GC fanbase "thinks." We disagree some on fanbase perspective.

As for getting a proven winner at HC, the search area shouldn't be isolated to SWVA as one poster pointed out. That search should include all of VA, WV, Tenn, NC, SC, GA, etc.  For those that feel a proven winner wouldn't leave his position for GC, we again disagree. Most coaches across the USA are likely happy where they are at, but some would leave, and no matter how bad some of you hate us (which is really the underlying purpose of some of your posts) our program has tradition and a history of winning and great fan support, and we in fact, can get a proven winner. This is why its called a "search." 

As for Akers, I didn't like the hire. He wasnt proven enough for me. I think he's a very good person though. I was content with Houseright. Loved the man at coach. Understand that of all GC football fans, perhaps 0.3 percent at most post on this board. In summary, your have no clue or concept what the majority of the fanbase thinks. To assume so is ignorance, but some of the posts on here (not all, but some) are based in hatred and jealousy, not rational thought or true discussion.

GC will be fine in football again and we will compete for state titles again in football in short time. The sky isn't falling for the Gate (no matter how bad or how hard some of you wish it were.)

17 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

I respect the above opinions but disagree. Most of these are your assumptions (opinions) of what the GC fanbase "thinks." We disagree some on fanbase perspective.

As for getting a proven winner at HC, the search area shouldn't be isolated to SWVA as one poster pointed out. That search should include all of VA, WV, Tenn, NC, SC, GA, etc.  For those that feel a proven winner wouldn't leave his position for GC, we again disagree. Most coaches across the USA are likely happy where they are at, but some would leave, and no matter how bad some of you hate us (which is really the underlying purpose of some of your posts) our program has tradition and a history of winning and great fan support, and we in fact, can get a proven winner. This is why its called a "search." 

As for Akers, I didn't like the hire. He wasnt proven enough for me. I think he's a very good person though. I was content with Houseright. Loved the man at coach. Understand that of all GC football fans, perhaps 0.3 percent at most post on this board. In summary, your have no clue or concept what the majority of the fanbase thinks. To assume so is ignorance, but some of the posts on here (not all, but some) are based in hatred and jealousy, not rational thought or true discussion.

GC will be fine in football again and we will compete for state titles again in football in short time. The sky isn't falling for the Gate (no matter how bad or how hard some of you wish it were.)

It's gonna be a long time before Gate City competes for state titles in football... just my opinion