Union @ Abingdon

CriticalNoise

4 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

And it's almost always Sullivan East imbeciles also, which is one of the reasons I hate them so bad.  Lol

The pride of Hickory Tree.  I try to explain that place to people in Giles and Monroe Co.'s and they think I've told some sort of joke.

Ive noticed several people praising Reed at AHS, no offense but why? His team was constantly confused on offense, sending players on very late and having to burn timeouts out of confusion. He also would not stick with what the Falcons had the most success with, spreading the field, throwing the ball downfield and having the QB scramble. He took his team into the T FFS! lol. Union crushed the designer run game all night long, but too often Abingdon would go three and out while attempting one or fewer passes and did not take enough downfield shots.

The Union front seven got pressure, esp in second half, but even when they didn't, AHS would go into the T or try designed runs. 

All I'm saying is, I wasn't impressed at all. Sturgill really hida lot of sins last year.

4 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Ive noticed several people praising Reed at AHS, no offense but why? His team was constantly confused on offense, sending players on very late and having to burn timeouts out of confusion. He also would not stick with what the Falcons had the most success with, spreading the field, throwing the ball downfield and having the QB scramble. He took his team into the T FFS! lol. Union crushed the designer run game all night long, but too often Abingdon would go three and out while attempting one or fewer passes and did not take enough downfield shots.

The Union front seven got pressure, esp in second half, but even when they didn't, AHS would go into the T or try designed runs. 

All I'm saying is, I wasn't impressed at all. Sturgill really hida lot of sins last year.

Not to mention he didn’t shake Unions hands after the game. Punk move. Zero class. 

5 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Even when Union changed their defense in the 2nd half to the 3 man front, at least one if not 2 of those 3 were getting in the backfield it seemed like. 

I know I seen a few times on handoffs I'm not sure how big Jeb didn't intercept the hand off, as soon as it was put in the gut he was there making the tackle. 

29 minutes ago, BearDawg said:

Not to mention he didn’t shake Unions hands after the game. Punk move. Zero class. 

I observed that as well. In my opinion he's a punk from back during Wise (family member of the team at the time informed me of this) of him disrespecting the coaches of the lower leagues (when he was there) saying that was the reason his program was so unsuccessful, because the lower league coaches pretty much didn't know what they were doing/teaching the kids at a younger age. 

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I didn't see that, is that true? If so, no respect for him. Totally agree, no class.

My son is a senior on unions team. He was going to speak to Reed. First thing he told me when we got to him after the game is that  Reed and his staff did not shake hands. Classy huh. 

2 hours ago, CriticalNoise said:

I observed that as well. In my opinion he's a punk from back during Wise (family member of the team at the time informed me of this) of him disrespecting the coaches of the lower leagues (when he was there) saying that was the reason his program was so unsuccessful, because the lower league coaches pretty much didn't know what they were doing/teaching the kids at a younger age. 

This comment you made is almost verbatim as to how that convo went. I know because I was the youth president for 9 years (during Reeds 2 year reign). After our youth season, where we had won another title, I met with reed to discuss direction for next season. I did this with every coach after every year. When we started talking it was like you said. His special teams were bad because of LL. His line wasn’t physical because of LL. His backs wouldn’t hit the holes because of LL. His defense could cover the pass because of LL. An hour and a half I sat there being talked down to about a program I poured my life into. I took pride in. Even though we are at Union now, I’m still proud of the program I ran at JJK/Central. So I took this personal but really could do much but take notes as my son was going to be a freshmen the following season and I wasn’t giving him any ammo to use against him. He left wise a couple months later thank God. He wouldn’t let his other coaches coach. And he had two former head coaches and a future head coach on his staff. After his first year, about half the staff left. Gate city fans were happy we had him. Central people were glad he left. Not a people person. May be the best husband and Dad on the planet. But not a people person. 

The last two years at Haysi people would go down before big games and drop kids off at the Elementary School early A.M. and go tape a blanket to the seats. I would show up an hour before kickoff, the stands would be empty and I had nowhere to set. Then these people would come walking in, barely making kickoff. I started going to my seat and tearing off the taped down blanket where I sat if there was no one there and folding it up. Pretty sure a few people got hot but nobody ever said anything. 

On 10/29/2017 at 9:10 AM, big ugly vol said:

The last two years at Haysi people would go down before big games and drop kids off at the Elementary School early A.M. and go tape a blanket to the seats. I would show up an hour before kickoff, the stands would be empty and I had nowhere to set. Then these people would come walking in, barely making kickoff. I started going to my seat and tearing off the taped down blanket where I sat if there was no one there and folding it up. Pretty sure a few people got hot but nobody ever said anything. 

That's because you sir are a bad ass and nobody would want to mess with you.  :D

9 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

What was the yardage for Abingdon? My apologies if it was already posted, I didn't feel like searching

One sec. 

Rushing:

Union-28/299

AHS-39/92

Passing. 

UHS-17

AHS-177

Totals

UHS: 316

AHS: 269 IIRC