VHS Bearcats

Bearcat Dad

I've seen other threads dedicated to individual teams here lately, and all were well deserved. @Suit Up has a great thread with a recap of the season and outlook for the playoffs, so I wanted to take a minute to talk about VHS. 

Back during the first Top 10 thread, I put VHS on my list as #10 and put a long explanation as to why. Thankfully, most of what I said then, has come true, even though I could feel some eyes being rolled at my post lol. The main gist of my post was that VHS has a talented group of Juniors, with some talented Seniors and Sophomores sprinkled in. I also said that I had no Grand Illusions of a State Title, but I did feel a win or two in the playoffs, which is considered an excellent season at VHS , is possible. That remains a possibility.

With all of that said, I know I can speak on behalf of Bristol, when I say that we couldn't be more proud of the Bearcats. They have had some good wins this year, an impressive showing in Big Stone in the benefit game, a hard fought loss against a 6-4 Tn High team, and one embarrassingly bad performance in Bluefield.

Regardless of how the following weeks pan out, the Bearcats should hold their heads high and know that they've accomplished something that very, very few teams since the 80's have done. They are relevant at the end of the season and are at least in the discussion of being one of the better teams in the region, when they're playing to their capabilities.

With a lot of the big dogs on the team coming back next year, we as Bearcat fans may actually be able to see something we're not accustomed to; Consistency.

Good luck to Richlands next week. We know it's going to be a dogfight!

3 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

I've seen other threads dedicated to individual teams here lately, and all were well deserved. @Suit Up has a great thread with a recap of the season and outlook for the playoffs, so I wanted to take a minute to talk about VHS. 

Back during the first Top 10 thread, I put VHS on my list as #10 and put a long explanation as to why. Thankfully, most of what I said then, has come true, even though I could feel some eyes being rolled at my post lol. The main gist of my post was that VHS has a talented group of Juniors, with some talented Seniors and Sophomores sprinkled in. I also said that I had no Grand Illusions of a State Title, but I did feel a win or two in the playoffs, which is considered an excellent season at VHS , is possible. That remains a possibility.

With all of that said, I know I can speak on behalf of Bristol, when I say that we couldn't be more proud of the Bearcats. They have had some good wins this year, an impressive showing in Big Stone in the benefit game, a hard fought loss against a 7-3 Tn High team, and one embarrassingly bad performance in Bluefield.

Regardless of how the following weeks pan out, the Bearcats should hold their heads high and know that they've accomplished something that very, very few teams since the 80's have done. They are relevant at the end of the season and are at least in the discussion of being one of the better teams in the region, when they're playing to their capabilities.

With a lot of the big dogs on the team coming back next year, we as Bearcat fans may actually be able to see something we're not accustomed to; Consistency.

Good luck to Richlands next week. We know it's going to be a dogfight!

They've had a great season, you could see it coming when you all scrimmaged Union. Maybe things will shake out to where you all could come back to the park and we'll have the game count this time, haha. It'll be a good one if that happens, but of course we both have to get there first. 

Edited by Unionguy_2017

15 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

They've had a great season. Maybe things will shake out to where you all could come back to the park and we'll have the game count this time, haha. It'll be a good one if that happens, but of course we both have to get there first. 

Thanks, man. We would love another trip to The Park. That means that we won at least one playoff game! Lol.

Seriously though, I've said all year that you guys are the 2A measuring stick in SWVA, and that remains true today. Hopefully we both can make that happen. It's always fun to play against the Top Dog, if you have a team that is competitive.

Good luck to you guys in the coming weeks!

Just now, Bearcat Dad said:

Thanks, man. We would love another trip to The Park. That means the we won at least one playoff game! Lol.

Seriously though, I've said all year that you guys are the 2A measuring stick in SWVA, and that remains true today. Hopefully we both can make that happen. It's always fun to play against the Top Dog, if you have a team that is competitive.

Good luck to you guys in the coming weeks!

Good luck to you guys aswell!

Had the chance to get back to Bristol Friday night. Caught the second half of the Marion game. Bearcats actually looked like a good football team...not just a bunch of athletes who happen to play football. Crist is doing a great job. Just hope some of the old booster meddling doesn't crop up...again. 

Bearcats have really came on this yr and improved, but I don't think it's close at Richlands. Richlands is playing to get in the playoffs, and pride and tradition are on the line. They will be charged up. I think Richlands will win it by 21 or more pts.  The win by VH over Marion was impressive, even if some feel Marion's undefeated record may have overestimated them, but they are still a good team and VH beat a good football team last night.

37 minutes ago, Bearcat Bob said:

Had the chance to get back to Bristol Friday night. Caught the second half of the Marion game. Bearcats actually looked like a good football team...not just a bunch of athletes who happen to play football. Crist is doing a great job. Just hope some of the old booster meddling doesn't crop up...again. 

Crist is doing a great job. I know RV's coach has done a great job this year but Crist has to at least be in the discussion for coach of the year. VHS is having one of their best years in their 100+ year history.

Agreed 1000% about the Booster meddling.

26 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

Bearcats have really came on this yr and improved, but I don't think it's close at Richlands. Richlands is playing to get in the playoffs, and pride and tradition are on the line. They will be charged up. I think Richlands will win it by 21 or more pts.  The win by VH over Marion was impressive, even if some feel Marion's undefeated record may have overestimated them, but they are still a good team and VH beat a good football team last night.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Richlands were to pull this one out, with their season being on the line, but the only way I see them winning by a blowout is if the Bearcats let the situation overwhelm them like they did in Bluefield. I don't see that happening again. The Bearcats have the athletes to match up with Richlands, for once.

43 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

You're aware Marion beat Richlands right?

48 minutes ago, Westisthebest said:

This means nothing. You know Graham dominated VHS and Richlands took them to OT. It will be a good game. I agree whoever scores 24 points wins.

WTF? You tell me not to use the transitive property, then you turn around and use the transitive property.

The post I quoted said Blues win by 21+ points and took shots at VHS win over Marion. I pointed out same Marion team beat Richlands.

I don't see VA High throwing anything at Richlands that they haven't already seen this season (particularly on defense) with that schedule from hell they've had. If VA High goes to Richlands over confident after beating Marion they will likely loose. And If not it will be an interesting game...

1 hour ago, Bearcat Bob said:

What was it, a couple years ago, that VHS went to Richlands and lost a playoff game that they did everything but win?  I can see another game like that...hope not but recent history is not on Bearcats side. 

Yeah, it was 2013. We had a 7 pt lead, with a minute left to go, and had the ball at Richlands' 10 yd line. On 3rd down, we fumbled, it was returned for a TD, and it went to overtime. We lost in the 3rd OT. Heartbreaker for sure.

Hopefully we continue to rewrite Bearcat history!

1 hour ago, Bearcat Dad said:

Yeah, it was 2013. We had a 7 pt lead, with a minute left to go, and had the ball at Richlands' 10 yd line. On 3rd down, we fumbled, it was returned for a TD, and it went to overtime. We lost in the 3rd OT. Heartbreaker for sure.

Hopefully we continue to rewrite Bearcat history!

I don’t know that you can call it a fumble. It was more of a highway robbery by Brown. He just came in and literally swiped the ball while standing up and took it the other way. 

That game took 19 months off my life. 

12 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I don’t know that you can call it a fumble. It was more of a highway robbery by Brown. He just came in and literally swiped the ball while standing up and took it the other way. 

That game took 19 months off my life. 

Yeah, it was a once in a lifetime ending to regulation of that game. If Brown just goes down, instead of fighting for extra yards, we have a chance to put the game on ice. Unbelievable play by the defender to tie it up.

The Bearcats made a late season change at QB that year that made them a completely different team. Their 5-5 regular season record was a similar story to Blacksburg last year (without the State title). We had a first year coach that was feeling his new team out. The QB change made VHS a legit contender. 

It's kinda funny and a little ironic that the similar stories come from those two coaches.

That playoff game stole a few months from me too! Lol

On 10/28/2017 at 6:13 PM, BigWinners said:

WTF? You tell me not to use the transitive property, then you turn around and use the transitive property.

The post I quoted said Blues win by 21+ points and took shots at VHS win over Marion. I pointed out same Marion team beat Richlands.

I was just using your logic. You said VHS beat Marion. So i stated Richlands took Graham to OT. I was trying to do quite the opposite and say it doesnt matter. It will be a good game.

35 minutes ago, Westisthebest said:

I was just using your logic. You said VHS beat Marion. So i stated Richlands took Graham to OT. I was trying to do quite the opposite and say it doesnt matter. It will be a good game.

And Richlands lost. Compared to VHS beating the team Blues lost against. My point was picking a Richlands win by four TDs is dumb.

This will be a game of games, a dog fight all the way.  I hope RHS wins, but don't think the score will be high.  Both teams have good defense and RHS has problems scoring, so I'm thinking it will be one of those games that we will all be talking about for a while.  RHS--17   VHS--14

On 10/28/2017 at 5:24 PM, Westisthebest said:

You know Graham dominated VHS and Richlands took them to OT.

You know Richlands is (was?) in Graham's head, right???  After you go so long without beating a team, you start to believe you can't beat them...until you do...