Union vs. John Battle predictions

trumpet1988

42-14, and the only reason I'm giving them 14 is based up from what I've seen on TV highlights and read on here is Scarbrough is a decent QB. He's mobile, can scramble well and has a decent arm (just from what I've seen on friday night huddle). Union had trouble shutting down Abingdon's running QB until they changed defenses and that shut him down. 

Bears win big on senior night. 

38 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Any particular reason why the game would be that close?

Any particular reason why it wouldn't? Union has not shown that they can put up big numbers against good teams. They also haven't faced a QB like they are about to face. Is it offensive to you that I would predict the game this close? It's not like I picked Battle to win. But maybe the John Battle fans , players, and parents would find it offensive to think that this game won't be close. I think Battle will create matchup problems for Union. 

I think this is another game for Union that is close at the half, and they pull away in the 2nd half. JSB has some pretty good athletes in Skill and are pretty big up front. Not many people thought they would score what they did against Lee. It doesn't seem that any team in the region is as good at making halftime adjustments as Union is. It seems to be a big part of their formula of success. Bearcat Nation would prefer the upset. I just don't see it happening.

Union - 34

JSB - 17

4 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

I think this is another game for Union that is close at the half, and they pull away in the 2nd half. JSB has some pretty good athletes in Skill and are pretty big up front. Not many people thought they would score what they did against Lee. It doesn't seem that any team in the region is as good at making halftime adjustments as Union is. It seems to be a big part of their formula of success. Bearcat Nation would prefer the upset. I just don't see it happening.

Union - 34

JSB - 17

I'm not so sure that it's halftime adjustments more so than the fact they just don't get as tired. They only have a few skilled positions playing both ways.

1 minute ago, 93' Alumni said:

I'm not s sure that it's halftime adjustments more so than the fact they just don't get as tired. They only have a few skilled positions playing both ways.

That could be the case as well. Either way, it sure seems that the majority of Union's games are close at the half, and they ALWAYS find a way. That's the sign of a great team. Whether it's because of skill, adjustments, or depth. It may be all 3.

Honestly I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the final score was close. I'm predicting a comfortable final score for Union, but I've said all year long that Battle was capable of winning 7 games. I believe they fall one game short of that, but I picked them as my sleeper in the playoffs, weeks ago and I'm sticking with it. No one in the region is so good that they can overlook JSB. They have some players.

16 minutes ago, 93' Alumni said:

Any particular reason why it wouldn't? Union has not shown that they can put up big numbers against good teams. They also haven't faced a QB like they are about to face. Is it offensive to you that I would predict the game this close? It's not like I picked Battle to win. But maybe the John Battle fans , players, and parents would find it offensive to think that this game won't be close. I think Battle will create matchup problems for Union. 

Because Abingdon beat Battle whereas Union rolled the Falcons?

Union doesn't blow out good teams? Beating Abingdon by 28, Ridgeview by two TDs, and didn't Ridgeview beat you 24-7?

So Battle will play Union closer than Ridgeview did on the road, despite losing handily to two teams Union handled? 

8 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Union doesn't blow out good teams? Beating Abingdon by 28, Ridgeview by two TDs, and didn't Ridgeview beat you 24-7?

So Battle will play Union closer than Ridgeview did on the road, despite losing handily to two teams Union handled? 

The RV game was also our first game without Bailey Turner under center. We were playing a 10th grade jv qb who wasn’t quite ready. Our offense may not be a 50 point per game juggernaut, but our defense keeps us from having to be. Battles qb is shifty. He’s not the first shifty or decent qb we have seen. I don’t like predicting games for Union. But I’ll say battle gets a td in first half due to qb play. But then we adjust and shut it down. We could shut them out too. Either way, we have to play our game and execute the game plan. 

46 minutes ago, 93' Alumni said:

To predict that it won’t be close is not supposed to be an insult. It is an honest prediction and it is probably reasonable. 

I suppose the way Union took care of business against Ridgeview and Abingdon is not putting up numbers against good teams. 

Union beat a team who is 6A in Tennessee (4A in Virginia). While that team is not actually great(they were way down) I don’t see Battle having a good game against them. Battle hasn’t really beaten anyone good. 

Also, if you want talk numbers or if someone wants to bring up the transitive property, Battle would be doomed. 

It took a 4th quarter rally for Battle to put away the worst ever Gate City team. I am pretty sure the score at the end of 3rd quarter was 28-27 in favor of Battle. It was still anybody’s game. Union’s game against Gate City was decided early in the second quarter. So compared to Battle, how can you say Union hasn’t put up good numbers against good teams. Abingdon put up 35 on John Battle. Union beat them 35 to 7 and the score could have easily been 49-7. Not always indicative of what will happen but by those numbers, it does not look good for Battle against Union. 

34 points on a Ridgeview team who beat Battle 24-7 does not help your case either. Sure Battle put 40 on Lee but they also allowed 28 whereas Union allowed 6 and that play was a busted play. Union didn’t have to score 40 to make Lee go away. 

Again, if you are going to say Union hasn’t put good numbers on good teams compared to Battle, the numbers of both teams suggest that you are screwed. 

No disrespect to Battle but I don’t see this being close. I don’t think Battle will be able to move the ball very well. 

1 hour ago, BearDawg said:

The RV game was also our first game without Bailey Turner under center. We were playing a 10th grade jv qb who wasn’t quite ready. Our offense may not be a 50 point per game juggernaut, but our defense keeps us from having to be. Battles qb is shifty. He’s not the first shifty or decent qb we have seen. I don’t like predicting games for Union. But I’ll say battle gets a td in first half due to qb play. But then we adjust and shut it down. We could shut them out too. Either way, we have to play our game and execute the game plan. 

Another reason could be Turner didn’t run up the score on teams that they probably could have and won by an even greater margin. A teams points allowed on defense is what I like to look at. If they’re not trying to run up the score, a coach can’t help it if his backups score. But... he can scream at the top of his lungs for the backup defense to stop them, even if you’re up by 40. I could be wrong but Union is going to be fired up for the chance at #1 and 10-0.  

1 hour ago, cowboysnskynyrd said:

Another reason could be Turner didn’t run up the score on teams that they probably could have and won by an even greater margin. A teams points allowed on defense is what I like to look at. If they’re not trying to run up the score, a coach can’t help it if his backups score. But... he can scream at the top of his lungs for the backup defense to stop them, even if you’re up by 40. I could be wrong but Union is going to be fired up for the chance at #1 and 10-0.  

GC could've been 70-0, but starters didn't play after break. Same with Wise. 38-0 at half, could've been 70-0, first team didn't play one possession. 

3 hours ago, BigWinners said:

You can't compare apples to oranges, etc. Teams matchup differently. Abingdon hasn't proven that they are a good team. They definitely aren't the team they were last year. 

4 minutes ago, 93' Alumni said:

You can't compare apples to oranges, etc. Teams matchup differently. Abingdon hasn't proven that they are a good team. They definitely aren't the team they were last year. 

You can’t lobby for it being a close game  then use that example then. Battle LOST to Abingdon. If Abingdon hasn’t proven to be a good team in your eyes then what does that say about battle?

Just now, Suit Up said:

You can’t lobby for it being a close game  then use that example then. Battle LOST to Abingdon. If Abingdon hasn’t proven to be a good team in your eyes then what does that say about battle?

There again your comparing apples to oranges. Teams match up differently against each other. All I said was that battle will present matchup problems. 

7 minutes ago, 93' Alumni said:

Still not seeing it bro. But that’s the fun of the forum. Everyone has a voice and point of view. I just don’t see battles qb being a big enough threat to keep this game close. He doesn’t have the supporting cast that Mitchell has at Union. And I don’t mean that disrespectfully. It’s how I see it. But that qb can play from what I’ve seen. Abingdon has a shifty qb and two solid RB’s that we had to contain. As a team, they were held under 100 yards rushing. I may be wrong, but I don’t think we’ve gave up 100 yard rushing in a game total all season. The freshmen from RV that has been on fire had 15 yards vs our D. Jordan at abingdon had 24 and Canada 38.