Marion at Graham

Canes00

6 minutes ago, Canes00 said:

Graham wins by 30 and we'll get a rematch with Virginia High in the playoffs which I can't wait for

I don't believe Graham will win by 30 at all. Marion has a very stout Defense. I believe Graham will struggle to run the football. Cooke will be the difference, as he usually is, but I think that Marion plays with a smash mouth style that will limit the opportunities for Graham's offense.

I'm thinking along the lines of;

Graham 27 

Marion 20

BTW, we are looking forward to the rematch as well ?

Cooke's the difference maker. Assuming Marion doesn't fall into a big hole early and wind up having to force things, the defense will keep them in it, but Marion's weakness is their corners-- not good when you're going up against a D1 receiver. I'm thinking something along the lines of 28-14 for the G-Men.

37 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

Cooke's the difference maker. Assuming Marion doesn't fall into a big hole early and wind up having to force things, the defense will keep them in it, but Marion's weakness is their corners-- not good when you're going up against a D1 receiver. I'm thinking something along the lines of 28-14 for the G-Men.

Cooke is a threat anytime he's on the field but the difference maker for Graham the last two weeks has been Cam Allen at QB. Cooke didn't play well against Richlands and wasn't overly involved last week when he only had 52 yards against Fort Chiswell. Cam threw for 3 touchdowns against Richlands and ran for 130 & against Fort he had 370 total yards & 7 total touchdowns. He was the question mark after the Bluefield game but he's really came on the last few weeks. 

http://www.hudl.com/v/28Buj9

I haven't seen the GMEN this year but all they hype is there and seems to be well founded. Marion is a very solid team well coached and disciplined and those DBs are damn good always in place and aren't afraid to smack you. The real question is how does Marion deal with the GMEN speed? I won't be surprised with either winning this game I'll only be surprised if either wins by more than a TD or 2.

11 minutes ago, 02GW12 said:

I haven't seen the GMEN this year but all they hype is there and seems to be well founded. Marion is a very solid team well coached and disciplined and those DBs are damn good always in place and aren't afraid to smack you. The real question is how does Marion deal with the GMEN speed? I won't be surprised with either winning this game I'll only be surprised if either wins by more than a TD or 2.

If you've seen them since then, by all means correct me, but Marion doesn't resemble the same team that they were when they played GW. They are much, much better defensively, but the offense is very one-dimensional. After Wyatt missed a few weeks to injury, they haven't been able to find a rhythm in the passing game. In particular, they really struggled passing against Richlands and VA High, and with due respect to the Tornado and Bearcat defenses, it has less to do with defensive execution and more to do with poor offensive execution. Unless they can find that rhythm again by this week, I just don't see how they can keep up with Graham's offense. 

Marion at Graham .... for the Southwest District title!  Back in August ... who would have thought? Marion has certainly been the surprise team this year and I truly expected Graham to be at 7-2 or 6-3 at this point. Anyway, the showdown is in Bluefield this Friday night and I am going with the "Graham gang" winning in a shootout ...

G-Men 28 

Scarlet Hurricane 22

#grahampride

As far as common opponents go, Richlands lost both games, but they were both very close games.  I'm not seeing anything that makes me believe it won't be close. 

Richlands lost to Marion 22-18, and to Graham in OT 20-13.  While match ups do matter, I'm not seeing anything that makes me believe it will be anything but a close game.

Graham 24 Marion 21.