TSSAA 2017 Playoffs

SXSW

The 2017 TSSAA playoff start Friday and several Northeast Tennessee teams host home games. I don't know if it generates much interest but several of the Southwest Virginia schools play teams from across the border.

In region 1A.  Midway (5-5) visits Cloudland (8-2). In Region 1 2A Cumberland Gap (7-3) visits Region 1 champion Sullivan North (7-3). In Region 1 3A Northview Academy (5-5) visits Johnson County (10-0), In Region 1 4A East Ridge (7-3) visit the one ranked Greeneville Greene Devils (10-0) who owns wins over 6A Dobyns- Bennett and Science Hill also in Region 1 4A Sequoyah (5-5) visits Elizabethton (8-2). In Region 1 5A. Knox Central (5-5) visits Daniel Boone (8-2). and in 6A Ooltewah (5-5) visits Dobyns- Bennett (7-3).

If your local team isn't playing this week and you are close to the Tri-Cities come check out these first round games, I am sure some Gate City fans will travel over because we don't have nothing else to do.

Playoff Notes: There are 41 teams with losing records who made the playoffs over the 9 classes of playoffs.

There are two games that pit teams with losing records against each other in the first round.

All games begin at 7:00 p.m. local time.

28 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

(5-5) South Doyle comes to Bristol to take on (6-4)Tn High in 5A as well.

I was about to come back and correct that, I whiffed completely one that, like my baseball career. Thanks for the help.

2 hours ago, SXSW said:

I was about to come back and correct that, I whiffed completely one that, like my baseball career. Thanks for the help.

I understand completely!

Thank you for the post. 

It would be nice to see some local teams with home field advantage, take care of business against the teams from the Knoxville area, for once.

There are some pretty good games on that list.

I think that Sullivan North is the surprise, I watched them twice early and they were terrible, they got better and better every week. I think it was Robbie's best coaching job ever! Johnson County being 10-0 is crazy too. Greeneville should win the state, or at least make it there. They are the best team I saw all year in NET.

13 minutes ago, SXSW said:

I think that Sullivan North is the surprise, I watched them twice early and they were terrible, they got better and better every week. I think it was Robbie's best coaching job ever! Johnson County being 10-0 is crazy too. Greeneville should win the state, or at least make it there. They are the best team I saw all year in NET.

I saw Johnson County in week 1 against Sullivan East.  They looked decent for sure, but not like a 10-0 team at all.  

10 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Can Greeneville win it all? They seem to be rolling.

I don't know, but if Ridgeview is eliminated by then, I am probably going to go to that inevitable playoff rematch between them and Elizabethton.  I think that would be in round 3, which would mean our round 2.  I'm hoping we're not one and done in the playoffs.  Lol

38 minutes ago, SXSW said:

It will be a shame if Greeneville doesn't win State. IIRC, they have 4 convincing wins against 6A schools, and in their 10 games, they were really only challenged for a half against Elizabethton.

5 hours ago, SXSW said:

Agree about this is his best coaching job. I saw them against Central, Happy Valley and East. They've had a lot of injuries this year and have overcame them. If he wants it, I'd like to see Norris get a shot at the coaching job at the new school. I usually catch a couple of their games every year and his teams always play hard and are usually in position to make plays. Sometimes they really don't have the athleticism to actually make the plays, but they are well coached. 

10 hours ago, JDHoss said:

Agree about this is his best coaching job. I saw them against Central, Happy Valley and East. They've had a lot of injuries this year and have overcame them. If he wants it, I'd like to see Norris get a shot at the coaching job at the new school. I usually catch a couple of their games every year and his teams always play hard and are usually in position to make plays. Sometimes they really don't have the athleticism to actually make the plays, but they are well coached. 

Robbie is leaning more toward retirement, his first grandson is on the way. If he does anything at the new school it will be the AD job. He wanted to coach Gate City but Gate City didn't want him bad enough. Oh and he purchased a beach house in Hilton Head a few years ago. He would be Sullivan County's best option as football coach but he is not a political person, or politically correct either. 

15 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I don't know, but if Ridgeview is eliminated by then, I am probably going to go to that inevitable playoff rematch between them and Elizabethton.  I think that would be in round 3, which would mean our round 2.  I'm hoping we're not one and done in the playoffs.  Lol

It would be in round three, November 17th. Greeneville is also playing with a chip on their shoulder, remember how they lost in the playoffs last year on a hail Mary. They are kinda of playing angry like Georgia is this year.

The first round of the TSSAA playoffs are in the books. In Region 1A: Cloudland beat Midway 50-13, and hosts Coalfield in second round action Friday. I Region 1 2A, Sullivan North defeated Cumberland Gap 22-15 and hosts Rockwood, who beat Hampton 45-14. Happy Valley beat Oneida 22-0 and earned a date with number one Meigs Co. Sullivan North is at home and Happy Valley is at Meigs Co. Friday. In Region 1 3A Johnson Co eked out a 21-20 win over Northview Academy of Kodak and gets to host the Roadrunners of Austin East in Mountain City Friday night. In Region 1 4A Greenville beat East Ridge 56-7, Chattanooga Central beat Sullivan South on the last play of the game 45-42, Elizabethton beat Sequoyah 62-35 and Anderson County beat Grainger 65-40. Greenville host Chattanooga Central and Elizabethton travels to Anderson County Friday. In Region 1 5A, all the Region 1 teams lost. (Boone, Morristown East, Tennessee High, Crockett) In Region 1 6A, Dobyns Bennett beat the Owls of Ooltewah 30-7 and Bradley Central beat Science Hill 41-34 and travels to D-B Friday.

All the games kickoff at 7:00 pm local time and Region 1 teams host all the way to the State Finals, as long as they win. (Duh!)

Greeneville is the only NETN school that can compete with the rest of the state

They're the only school in the area with a state title since Tennessee High won two in the early 70s

1 hour ago, V-Cats said:

Greeneville is the only NETN school that can compete with the rest of the state

They're the only school in the area with a state title since Tennessee High won two in the early 70s

And with the Nashville/Murfreesboro area continuing to explode, I think even the Knoxville area powerhouses like Maryville, Fulton, Catholic, etc. will have a tough go of it in 5A & 6A. Alcoa and Greeneville will continue to be successful because of the great organization and amount of money/backing they have at the 3A & 4A level. Not many schools at that level can come close to that. 

7 hours ago, JDHoss said:

And with the Nashville/Murfreesboro area continuing to explode, I think even the Knoxville area powerhouses like Maryville, Fulton, Catholic, etc. will have a tough go of it in 5A & 6A. Alcoa and Greeneville will continue to be successful because of the great organization and amount of money/backing they have at the 3A & 4A level. Not many schools at that level can come close to that. 

You are 100% correct in your assessment. The state of Tennessee will produce it's most ever Division 1 athletes' in football next year, and the majority will be in Middle Tennessee. The economic growth of the mid state is staggering, as well as, the economic growth in west Tennessee (Collierville, Germantown, Arlington) it's going to be hard for an East Tennessee team to even sniff a title, let alone win one. Maryville and Alcoa may be the exceptions but that is it.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are in the Tri-Cities are tonight and your teams not playing you may want to head down to Burley Stadium in Greeneville. Greenville host Anderson Co. Top ranked Greeneville takes on second ranked Anderson County. Both QB's are outstanding and Cade Ballard for Greeneville and Stanton Martin for Anderson County it is probably the state championship game tonight and if Greeneville is going to get beat it will be tonight. Should be fun and the Greene Devils are the last Region 1 team left in the state football playoffs.

20 minutes ago, SXSW said:

If you are in the Tri-Cities are tonight and your teams not playing you may want to head down to Burley Stadium in Greeneville. Greenville host Anderson Co. Top ranked Greeneville takes on second ranked Anderson County. Both QB's are outstanding and Cade Ballard for Greeneville and Stanton Martin for Anderson County it is probably the state championship game tonight and if Greeneville is going to get beat it will be tonight. Should be fun and the Greene Devils are the last Region 1 team left in the state football playoffs.

I'd be at this game if Union was out

42 minutes ago, SXSW said:

We're going there tonight. Considered Union-Marion, but this could be a wild one. I've seen Cade Ballard play several times, and if he were 4 inches taller, he'd have tons of FBS offers. Even at his height, he could be a nice fit in the right offense. 

27 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

We're going there tonight. Considered Union-Marion, but this could be a wild one. I've seen Cade Ballard play several times, and if he were 4 inches taller, he'd have tons of FBS offers. Even at his height, he could be a nice fit in the right offense. 

Unless my plans fall through at the last minute I will be there with one of my co-workers.

Helluva game last night. Greeneville got down 21-0 but rallied for a 35-31 win. Cade Ballard was 17-21 for 304 yards, but the star of the game was a cornerback who had 4 sensational interceptions, two of which were in the end zone, one of which was on a long pass where he ripped the football away from the receiver's hand in mid-air, and one which was the game clincher. Glad Union - Graham is on Saturday, as it'll free us up for either Marshall Co at Greeneville, Oakland at Maryville, Red Bank at Alcoa, Gaffney at Dorman in Spartanburg, or South Iredell at AC Reynolds in Asheville.

• 2 weeks later...

Well there are nine games left in the TSSAA playoffs. The games will played at Tennessee Tech in Cookeville and run Thursday the 30th through Saturday December 2nd.

The 1A Championship Game features Cornersville (13-1) vs. Greenback (13-1) and kicks off at 12:00pm Thursday.

The 3A Championship Game has Covington (13-1) vs. Alcoa (13-1) at 4:00 pm Thursday

The 5A Championship Game has Knoxville Catholic (11-3) vs. Beech (14-0) at 8:00 pm Thursday

In the Friday Contests:

The 2A Championship has Union City (12-2) vs. Tyner (12-2) at 12:00pm

The 4A Championship has Springfield (11-3) vs. Greeneville (14-0) at 4:00pm

The 6A Championship has Cane Ridge (13-1) vs. Maryville (13-1) at 8:00pm

The Division 2 Title Games take place on Saturday and feature in 1A: Friendship Christian (12-0) vs. DCA (9-3), 2A: Lausanne (12-0) vs. Notre Dame (11-1) and 3A: MBA (10-2) vs. Brentwood (12-0).

The Division 2 games all follow the same time schedule with games at 12,4 and 8pm.

The games should be available locally in the Tri-Cities, I will post the channel when I find it.

On BVU, they come on the CW channel normally, 1004 I think it is.

I am glad you posted this.  I had a question that maybe you or @JDHoss could answer.  I doubt I will get to go, but IF I can go down Friday to watch Greeneville, can you watch all 3 games that day by paying one price or do you have to leave the stadium between games, and how much is admission?