Week 11 podcast questions?

Ryan4VT

As a Blues fan, what team would you want Richlands to play if they sneak in playoffs? 

What upset most likely to occur in Region D?

Who should win Mountain POY, DPOY, and COY?

Same for Southwest.

What players from Region D should be All State?

(From Union, I'd say Mitchell and #50 Jeb Stidham for sure. Cooke for Graham, maybe Vineyard)

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

As a Blues fan, what team would you want Richlands to play if they sneak in playoffs? 

What upset most likely to occur in Region D?

Who should win Mountain POY, DPOY, and COY?

Same for Southwest.

What players from Region D should be All State?

(From Union, I'd say Mitchell and #50 Jeb Stidham for sure. Cooke for Graham, maybe Vineyard)

Great questions!

For the last one, Rose from VHS should be considered. He's a tad undersized for a MLB at 6'0 202, but he takes over games on Defense with his motor, toughness, above average speed and football IQ. Against Graham, he had no business catching Cooke on the first play of the game, but he is an extremely smart football player, and he understands the importance of angles on Defense. Teams have had very little success running between the tackles against VHS, and he is a big reason why. He would probably be playing SS at a bigger school.

As far as a question for the podcast goes;

How many fans of teams that are eliminated in the playoffs, will root for the Region D winner? Will fans root for the winner regardless, or does it depend on the team?. Is disdain for a rival or for a team that eliminated your team enough to root against them, if they are the Region winner?

4 minutes ago, trumpet1988 said:

What is the wackiest upset you have ever seen or heard of in high school football?

1989 Appy and 1988 Jonesville post season run lol.  Both 5-5 going in and win state.  Appy in general, beat a Bath County team that had a short article about them in Sport Illustrated that year.

Programs that have experienced a complete and total change in culture and the coaches who were instrumental in the process.  Both positive and negative.

Hard to imagine one bigger positive turnaround than Galax.  Dixon took over a program in 2010 that had played in 5 total playoff games in school history.  He took them to a regional final for the first time in school history in year #1, a state championship game in year #2 and a state title in year #5.  He has built the program into perennial favorites in 1A.

I know others exist, i'm just not familiar with them and would love the insight. 

23 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Programs that have experienced a complete and total change in culture and the coaches who were instrumental in the process.  Both positive and negative.

Hard to imagine one bigger positive turnaround than Galax.  Dixon took over a program in 2010 that had played in 5 total playoff games in school history.  He took them to a regional final for the first time in school history in year #1, a state championship game in year #2 and a state title in year #5.  He has built the program into perennial favorites in 1A.

I know others exist, i'm just not familiar with them and would love the insight. 

Galax and Richlands would be my top 2 for the positives. Both schools did a 180 when Dixon and Mance came along.

1 hour ago, Bluefield researcher said:

How does the Virginia point system work? Inquiring minds want to know.

This is going to be much simpler in written format.  There’s really three ways Virginia schools earn rating points.

First, the VHSL awards points for a team either defeating or losing to an opponent.  Those points vary by classification: more for higher classifications for both wins and losses.  The base points given for defeating / losing to an opponent are as follows:

6A: 26 / 14

5A: 24 / 12

4A: 22 / 10

3A: 20 / 8

2A: 18 / 6

1A: 16 / 4

Second, the VHSL awards additional points depending on how your opponents fare.  You get 2 additional points for each win owned by an opponent you’ve beaten.  However, you only get 1 point for each win owned by an opponent who has beaten you.  That is the same for each classification.  For example:

Graham losing to 10-0 Bluefield will net Graham an additional 10 points on top of the points Graham has already earned for the loss (6).  Whereas, Graham defeating an 8-2 Giles will net Graham an additional 16 points on top of the points Graham earned for the win (18).  

Third, there is an exemption where the VHSL will award equivalent points for mixed districts.  For example, Graham was in the old MED, a mixed 1A/2A District.  The VHSL awarded Graham 2A base points for all district opponents so that Graham would not be prejudiced in postseason play due to factors beyond its control.  This also goes for schools like Carroll, Abingdon, etc.

i sure hope I have explained this well.

So Graham gets two points for Giles beating a lower classification school such as Narrows? And Graham gets a point from the Bluefield game for losing to Bluefield? I can see why they would get 9 points but not the 10th.  And Graham "only" gets 2 points for Giles beating a higher classification team such as Christiansburg?

18 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

So Graham gets two points for Giles beating a lower classification school such as Narrows? And Graham gets a point from the Bluefield game for losing to Bluefield? I can see why they would get 9 points but not the 10th.  And Graham "only" gets 2 points for Giles beating a higher classification team such as Christiansburg?

The 10 pts comes from getting 1 pt for each victory that Bluefield has(10). Since Graham beat Giles they get 2 pts for each victory Giles has. Doesn't matter who Giles beat to get those 8 victories. Graham gets 16 pts as a result.

1 hour ago, Bluefield researcher said:

You’d be correct as to the win/loss rider points.  Your opponent beating Westfield is no different than your opponent beating Jenkins, KY for purposes of that one game.  Obviously, a team that beats Westfield is going to probably be 10-0 and get you more rider points, but that’s beside the point.

As to your overall record question, I’m not really sure.

Why is football THE sport in swva high schools? i love it but i find it so strange that here a massive crowd is not a crazy thing to see but some schools in northern virginia's attendance is terrible. When battle went to essex in 2012 we had about 10× the amount of fans than essex... i thought that was insane.

1 hour ago, V-Cats said:

I've heard some great stories about this game over the years

Also, I thought it was 6-0

Pretty sure the whole game was uploaded to this site at one time by Lance.  It's obviously been years ago so I may be wrong.   As a VA High alum, I was happy to see it anyway.