Playoff Droughts

V-Cats

So, among the teams that are actively in the playoff hunt, who is looking to snap a playoff drought?

Also, which of those teams could snap a drought of hosting a playoff game? I know Virginia High is currently the #4 seed and hasn't hosted a playoff game in almost 20 years if not longer

13 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Would have to imagine the streak just about reaches eternity for home playoff games for Thomas Walker (currently 5th in 1D).  It’s unlikely it breaks, but the kids from Ewing way have had themselves a fairly nice season.

They're actually currently 4th in 1D and would host Eastside as of right now. 

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Not according to the link I pulled up on VHSLHelper’s website.  But then again, he’s literally the only person this side of 2003 I’ve ever met who uses Angelfire, which is about as functional as a Yugo with a swapped motor.  Long story short, I probably pulled up old numbers which were listed as current.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Not according to the link I pulled up on VHSLHelper’s website.  But then again, he’s literally the only person this side of 2003 I’ve ever met who uses Angelfire, which is about as functional as a Yugo with a swapped motor.  Long story short, I probably pulled up old numbers which were listed as current.

He uses just the point total, which makes it easier to see what a team needs and can accumulate, the others are listing them in order by the point average (div. by number of games played).

17 minutes ago, Beamerball said:

He uses just the point total, which makes it easier to see what a team needs and can accumulate, the others are listing them in order by the point average (div. by number of games played).

Fair enough.  A “sort” function would be simple and lovely, which every webhost which has updated its code since the Clinton administration has.  

51 minutes ago, PioneerNation said:

Thomas Walker hosted J.J. Kelly in 92 and lost. In 96 they won there first and only playoff game, can not remember who they played or where the first round was at. 

Looks like TW hosted Ervinton in 96, winning 6-0 according to

http://cougarfootball .net/vhsl_playoffs/1997.htm

I can’t take credit for the link. This link was posted in the Swva all team thread a few weeks ago. 

14 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

12 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

If you count the Hurley/Twin Valley game (which the VHSL did not this week due to the last minute schedule change), then Hurley is 4th with Thomas Walker in 5th.  That's probably what Helper did to get his numbers.

not because of schedule change... Lloyd got that wrong.

This happened a few years ago. LB @ VHSL told me their program has some "features" that can cause problems. They can't change game weeks, like moving a game from week 11 to 10. AND they can't include a game that hasn't happened yet. So the program won't let a H-TV result be entered until today, even if it had been moved to, say, Labor Day.

I just checked, and the ratings weren't updated today... thought they might be since Hampton got upset & M'sex had a game, but no.

15 hours ago, V-Cats said:

If VHS does hold on to the #4 seed, this will be their first home playoff game since 1987 (4A Region IV Championship vs Marion)

Tim Hayes from the BHC researched for me. He said VHS played at home in 2002 against Grundy. 

I figured that either '97(9-1) or '87(8-2) would have been the last time. He told me that all of those playoff games were on the road.

I even asked VHS' loyal statistician for the last 2+ decades, and he said he couldn't remember.

Either way, now that it seems set, it's a rare event in Bristol and the stands need to be packed next week!

On 11/1/2017 at 8:45 PM, Grapeape said:

TW should schedule a home and away with Kecoughtan High.

Even better, they should play Chincoteague on the Eastern Shore

They're both 1A schools too! And it's just a 10 hr drive according to Google