Union vs. Richlands rematch

trumpet1988

1 hour ago, TTownTigers said:

I know they have the senior QB back who is going to Liberty (FCS) and a proven winner of titles as a sophomore and junior starter at QB, and another kid I think named Graves on defense who is going to NC State.  They can be beat, but it will take a monumental task and near perfect game for a team like Union or Graham to beat em, and it will take a poor game from Appomattox with lots of turnovers.  I just don't see it happening with those 2 senior college bound guys leading the show at Appomattox.  They likely aren't going to lay a goose egg in a state-semi final or state final game, and that spells trouble for Union or Graham or Giles in their own region.  

So? Union has one kid going to most likely VT after being recruited by schools like Clemson and UGA, and there are 2-3 others capable of playing at the FCS level. 

You obviously haven't saw Appo in 2017 compared to 2016. Still very good but not like last season. Graham has a kid recruited by Mich State and other P5 schools, and Vineyard and a couple more could play at same level of Scruggs. 

Both Union and Graham are led by two kids that are college bound at FBS/FCS level. Moot point. 

Just now, BigWinners said:

Thats absolutely false. He likely would not be a Power 5 recruit, but he absolutely has that type of talent. You realize he hasn't been healthy in three years right? He's also not a big gym rat, if he was as dedicated as Mitchell or someone then yes he absolutely could play at a Liberty type program. 

You just proved my point. It takes hard work and dedication to be any type of college prospect, much less a D1. Sure the size is there but no college program is interested in a player that won’t put the work in. There’s been plenty of those types of players over the years. I’m not saying he is not a great HS football player by any means. 

43 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

No offense but your words....."any SEC Program" and "VT is always gonna be a wannabe."

Missouri, South Carolina, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Texas A and M, Mississippi, Miss State, Arkansas<-----which of these 8 have won a title since 1977 (40 years)?  Zero

Tennessee, Florida, Bama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU all have titles in last 40 years.  LSU, Auburn, Florida, and Bama being the true beasts.  The SEC is still the best conference in my opinion, but the first 8 teams I listed are not better programs than Virginia Tech, and one could argue VT is on the level of Tennessee and Auburn right now.  What I'm saying is....VT is still likely a better program than 10 of the 16 SEC schools, and maybe, maybe...12 of the 16 SEC schools at this point in time.  Therefore, if VT is a true wannabe, so are 10-12 other SEC schools.  He can certainly make the NFL (be noticed and drafted and national TV exposure) by playing at Virginia Tech.

VT is a better program than UGA? HUGE LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

3 minutes ago, GoBearsGo said:

You just proved my point. It takes hard work and dedication to be any type of college prospect, much less a D1. Sure the size is there but no college program is interested in a player that won’t put the work in. There’s been plenty of those types of players over the years. I’m not saying he is not a great HS football player by any means. 

So the fact that numerous recruiters have been in touch with him means nothing? I sure don't remember many four year starters who were the best linemen on the field as a freshman, and now that he gets to focus on defense alone, he's able to create havoc by occupying 2-3 blocks.

Linemen are much harder to project at next level, so they don't get the accolades and offers skill players get. Jeb  could play at an FCS school if he so wanted. He doesn't want to, but that doesn't make him not a low level D1 caliber player. 

3 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

So the fact that numerous recruiters have been in touch with him means nothing? I sure don't remember many four year starters who were the best linemen on the field as a freshman, and now that he gets to focus on defense alone, he's able to create havoc by occupying 2-3 blocks.

Linemen are much harder to project at next level, so they don't get the accolades and offers skill players get. Jeb  could play at an FCS school if he so wanted. He doesn't want to, but that doesn't make him not a low level D1 caliber player. 

We’ll just have to disagree on this one. 

9 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

So? Union has one kid going to most likely VT after being recruited by schools like Clemson and UGA, and there are 2-3 others capable of playing at the FCS level. 

You obviously haven't saw Appo in 2017 compared to 2016. Still very good but not like last season. Graham has a kid recruited by Mich State and other P5 schools, and Vineyard and a couple more could play at same level of Scruggs. 

Both Union and Graham are led by two kids that are college bound at FBS/FCS level. Moot point. 

Appo has 3-4 others with potential for FCS level and a RB who will play FBS as well. It's not a moot point because they dominated Union last year and have won two in a row, and are big and fast across the line. Because they are not as good as last year doesn't mean they still aren't better than everyone else again. They are. They just aren't better than everyone else by 40+ points like last year.  When its all done in Salem, Appo will be a 3 time state champ. 

10 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

VT is a better program than UGA? HUGE LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Your words, not mine. Never wrote that. Reread the post. VT is a better than the majority of SEC schools, but UGA isn't one of them.

26 minutes ago, ojrussell said:

Yes , Duke is the top choice  for his Education . Georgia for his future in football . Forget VT  they will always be second tier in College Football.

VT is not a 1A tier football program. But with Fuente (and for an entire decade under Beamer before he aged and health declined) they area 1B tier program. Memphis is a second tier program. VT is not. 

1 minute ago, TTownTigers said:

Appo has 3-4 others with potential for FCS level and a RB who will play FBS as well. It's not a moot point because they dominated Union last year and have won two in a row, and are big and fast across the line. Because they are not as good as last year doesn't mean they still aren't better than everyone else again. They are. They just aren't better than everyone else by 40+ points like last year.  When its all done in Salem, Appo will be a 3 time state champ. 

Gretna, average at best, played with them until the 4th Q. I'll ask again, have you watched film on Appo this year? 

Their RB is not an FBS level player. I dunno where you're getting this info, but I've never heard from anyone that Appo has a total of 7 players being recruited at FCS/FBS schools.

10 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

Your words, not mine. Never wrote that. Reread the post. VT is a better than the majority of SEC schools, but UGA isn't one of them.

You said VT was a better program than 12/16 SEC schools and listed Bama, Auburn, LSU and UF. 

Ole Miss played in a huge bowl game last year, MSU was ranked #1 with Dak, look at success TAMU had w Manziel, etc... You're underrating some SEC programs. 

Just now, Unionguy_2017 said:

Question for you Richlands guys.. I just got finished watching the Va High film and what is the reasoning behind Brown being at QB when you're in the power I? If you want #6 to be the guy, why not give him the keys all the time?

I think it's because Brown is a better runner and a bigger threat on the option keeper than Moir. Moir is the one who can pass. But I think at some point, you have to break the tendency to only do one thing with either one. 

3 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I think it's because Brown is a better runner and a bigger threat on the option keeper than Moir. Moir is the one who can pass. But I think at some point, you have to break the tendency to only do one thing with either one. 

I gotcha, thanks. Brown is a good runner but I don't think he's THAT much better than Moir is he? If I remember correctly Moir ran pretty well when I saw Richlands V Graham. 

16 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

I gotcha, thanks. Brown is a good runner but I don't think he's THAT much better than Moir is he? If I remember correctly Moir ran pretty well when I saw Richlands V Graham. 

I guess the staff thinks so. I haven't gotten to see them enough to make that analysis, unfortunately. 

4 hours ago, BigWinners said:

You said VT was a better program than 12/16 SEC schools and listed Bama, Auburn, LSU and UF. 

Ole Miss played in a huge bowl game last year, MSU was ranked #1 with Dak, look at success TAMU had w Manziel, etc... You're underrating some SEC programs. 

I said Bama, Auburn ,LSU, UF, are the beasts (multiple titles since 1989). But, never wrote VT was better than UGA as a program. I argue they are there with Florida and LSU right now. In your attempt to discredit and argue with me (which is your true intent and not a rational discussion), read the post prior to thinking "ya got me." The 4 programs clearly better than VT now are Bama, Auburn, Georgia, and still LSU. The other 12, Tech is as good as or better right now. A and M and Tech had a series 15/yrs ago. Texh won both games. Miss St has been a less than average program other than the Prescott years, and no, I'm not underestimating the SEC. Reread the post again. The SEC is the best conference and I pointed that out. The flaw you make is.....because the SEC is the best conference, then automatically, every team must be a better program than VT, and this is a false argument. The point of my post suggests Tech is certainly better than some SEC schools.

As for Appo, their sophomore running back is getting major D1looks. He's D1. As for Appo, I've watched about 2 hours of film on them this year. They are still the best AA team in 2017. Union or Graham will find that out in game four.

8 hours ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

Playing 2 QB's is hard on the rhythm of the offense, and I think the offense is more consistent with Moir at QB.  Brown would be good at RB or WR and could open up a lot of options that other teams have not seen. I see this game coming down to the wire and maybe even overtime.  These two teams have been giving us some of the best games over the last four years and it has been great to see. Throw out the record, hold onto your hat, and enjoy the atmosphere, I'm sure the Bullit will be rockin'.  You don't want to leave this game until you make sure it is over.  Wish the best for both teams, but I think Richlands pulls this out by a field goal.  Richlands 17  Union 14  It's hard to beat a stout team two times in the same year, and the first game was just a warm up to what this one is going to be, but whoever wins will have to earn it on the field, regardless of the record and stats for the season. Can not wait for Friday night to get here.

Richlands is the 1st game in a VERY difficult 5 game season. The Bears cannot start slow, take a quarter off, or coast in any game from here on out. It's kill or be killed. Any blow is a death blow. There's no living to play another game.

It's extremely difficult to play and beat a good team twice in the same season, and we know the Blues will be ready. Union had better be. I believe this Bear team is capable of winning any game they play when they're on. Home field throughout is going to be huge this year. First time ever having this opportunity. It cant' be squandered.

Friday will be electric and I can't wait!

Union 24
Richlands 10

Union has home all the way through game 4, IF and only IF they make it that far. I think that will help them IF they make it that far. Even against Appomattox, because Appomattox will be at Bullitt Park if both Union and Appo make it to that round. It could also be Giles or Glenvar at Bullitt Park. Also, don't count out teams like Ridgeview and DEFINITELY do NOT count out Graham. Union and Graham have the best chance of making it that far. 

However, Union AND Graham, as BLUESFAN has said, really need to be focused on Richlands and John Battle, respectively.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:48 PM, BearDawg said:

I hope everyone picks against the Bears. Keep them motivated. Richlands is a team everyone was worried about playing. Union is the team no one wants to play. Bring on the doubt my friends. 

If you have to come to a message board to get motivated your in trouble already. I think Mance is a better coach than Turner, but Turner isn't stupid either. Union has a legit D1 player and they are using him as they should. He does everything but drive the bus and if his age wasn't a factor he'd probably have his CDL's and do that good too. I think this is Union's nightmare scenario, but I believe that will do just enough to win, because Richlands is challenged on the offensive side of the ball. There is far more pressure on Union than Richlands, so much I can feel it in Kingsport. 

5 minutes ago, SXSW said:

If you have to come to a message board to get motivated your in trouble already. I think Mance is a better coach than Turner, but Turner isn't stupid either. Union has a legit D1 player and they are using him as they should. He does everything but drive the bus and if his age wasn't a factor he'd probably have his CDL's and do that good too. I think this is Union's nightmare scenario, but I believe that will do just enough to win, because Richlands is challenged on the offensive side of the ball. There is far more pressure on Union than Richlands, so much I can feel it in Kingsport. 

It is the playoffs lose and you go home every team is under pressure unless they are just happy to be there and I am sure that is not the case with Richlands

I think Union is the stronger team but I do worry that there lack of diversity on offence will hurt them somewhere along the way and a team like Richlands that is used to playing late in the playoffs almost every season and has been seasoned with tough games all season and has a famaluorty with Union is in a position to pull a 8 vs 1 upset

That being said I think Union is the better team and should win this one all be it much closer that traditional 8 vs 1 seat games