Union vs. Richlands rematch

trumpet1988

7 hours ago, BearDawg said:

I don't think our boys care about this board or what a bunch of has beens/never was players have to say week in and week out haha.  I told my son to stay off this board honestly. 

Region D has good teams top to bottom.  But my opinion, Union is two or three scores better than every team in the Region.  And if they execute, they will win the Region by such scores.  It may be late in the game.  I'm not saying "no doubters".  And don't get offended.  I mean no disrespect.  Richlands battled hard to get in.  VHS gets to host for the first time in 25-30 years.  Graham has played solid ball all year.  Ridgeview has been the talk of the town.  So don't take this as cocky, arrogant, or disrespectful.   I'm going with gut feeling and some of the popular Transitive Property that we all look at from time to time.  Union has a ton of weapons at Travis' disposal.  You don't know who is gonna hurt you on any given game day.  And the Defense is tops in 2A. 

But the game isn't played on paper.  It's played on the gridiron and the playoffs are fun to watch.  I pray each team has a safe, injury free run.

I think you may be underestimating Graham just a touch! I don't think union is 2 or 3 scores better than Graham at any point in the game.

23 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

So I had a dream about this game for some reason. It's kind of strange because I've never watched Union play except for in my dream last night haha if this games is anything like my dream then Union wins 30-7... 

You were channeling your inner Bear. haha

I do like the score prediction. :)

2 hours ago, Blue 72 said:

I think Union has proved that they are the team to beat, and if I look at their season, they should face Appo in the championship and have a good chance of winning it all, but I've seen the unexpected happen in the playoff's so many times.  I think every team has to play one game at a time and be expecting the unexpected.  I don't think anyone has what Union has, but I didn't think BBurg would win the title in their division last year, so you never know, one or two bad plays can cause an upset, so for anyone to win the title, they have to have their mind in every game and every play, but I guess that's why we play the games.  I would love to see someone from our area win the title, and I would be cheering all the way for Union, or Graham, or anyone from our area in the championship, but come Friday I'm cheering for the Blues to pull off what seems to be the impossible.

Let’s go back to Week 1.  Say Graham doesn’t fumble, and beats Bluefield 21-17.  Who’s the favorite now?  I think people are putting way too much stock into the “1” in Graham’s 9-1 mark.  But for a Week 1 goal line fumble, Graham would have the best win over any other school in SWVA, hands down, argument over.  

These teams are almost dead even...the best D in the region (not state) against the best O in the region (not state), and I’d be floored if the score was more than 1 score either way.

Hope the players are not looking far down the road the way some of us are doing, could cause some problems for them if they are to focused on far away games instead of the game in front of them.  Union has a better line than Graham on both sides of the ball, and if this match does come to fruition, Union will win, but both teams have to get there first.

14 hours ago, ojrussell said:

Emory & Henry

14 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Good choice

I figured your team was Ferrum Hokiebird... since they have your boy Mann tearing it up down there and getting flagged for Unsportsmanlike for flashing the Johnny Manziel hand gesture.  Lol

49 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I figured your team was Ferrum Hokiebird... since they have your boy Mann tearing it up down there and getting flagged for Unsportsmanlike for flashing the Johnny Manziel hand gesture.  Lol

Oh I root for ferrum cause I know Brian and he is a great kid...and yes he is tearing it up for sure.

Sure you aren't mad cause he has beaten E&H both years he has been there?

And who in this day and age don't get unsportsman like penalties at some point?

He may have messed up as you said but you won't find a better young man than Brian Mann

I have seen both Union and Graham play. I don't think by any means Union is three scores better. Two very different teams in my view. Graham has the athlete's to compete with and beat Union or anybody else in the West. I don't know enough about the East to compare them. I would love to see a Union versus Graham game. I think it would be a great battle.

I would be pulling for the GMen.

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Let’s go back to Week 1.  Say Graham doesn’t fumble, and beats Bluefield 21-17.  Who’s the favorite now?  I think people are putting way too much stock into the “1” in Graham’s 9-1 mark.  But for a Week 1 goal line fumble, Graham would have the best win over any other school in SWVA, hands down, argument over.  

These teams are almost dead even...the best D in the region (not state) against the best O in the region (not state), and I’d be floored if the score was more than 1 score either way.

Both teams played Richlands this year and Union was much stronger in line play.  Graham is talented, but Richlands took them to overtime.  Don't get me wrong, Graham is one heck of a team, but seeing both play, Union would have the upper hand in my opinion.  Don't think they win by a great margin, but if both get through and meet up, Union will win this game.  I'll go out on the limb and make an even bolder statement, if Richlands and Graham play again, Richlands will win, but that is a futuristic wish, and its one game at a time.

4 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Didn't Bluefield also give up a Fumble for a TD so.. Ive watched the Bluefield Richlands an Marion game of Graham Honestly didn't blow me away still a very, very good team. If you get Physical with them then seems like they have a hard time. IMO

In my opinion, Graham still does have the best win this season in SWVA with the Giles win.

2 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Oh I root for ferrum cause I know Brian and he is a great kid...and yes he is tearing it up for sure.

Sure you aren't mad cause he has beaten E&H both years he has been there?

And who in this day and age don't get unsportsman like penalties at some point?

He may have messed up as you said but you won't find a better young man than Brian Mann

Oh no... I was at the Ferrum and E&H game this year and laughed my ass off on the way it ended.  I'm not an E&H fan at all.  The penalty Mann got that I spoke of happened in that game.  I got a huge kick out of it.  :)

11 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Union has the best D in 2D, yes. But have you researched the other 24 teams in the playoffs? Appomattox has a D1 power 5 ACC player on it's defense, too. Poquoson plays a ridiculous schedule filled with bigger schools. Clarke and Central and both very, very good teams. I understand you're confident, as you should be. But that's a bold statement saying they have the best D in the entire state in 2A. 

Poquoson is irrelevant right now, they have fell off. Not legit.  Woodstock is, they beat Clarke 40-0.

Union has one of the 3-4 besr defenses in 2A, don't think that's up for dispute.

And Union dude, STFU. We are not that much better than Graham. If we make that far, we will be lucky to win. 

Who is best defense in 2A?

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

Poquoson is irrelevant right now, they have fell off. Not legit.  Woodstock is, they beat Clarke 40-0.

Union has one of the 3-4 besr defenses in 2A, don't think that's up for dispute.

And Union dude, STFU. We are not that much better than Graham. If we make that far, we will be lucky to win. 

I would agree with top 4. But we can't really know who is the best when there's 32 teams in the playoffs and we've only seen 12 or so of them. I do think Union would win by 2 TDs due to how physical they are. 

8 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I would agree with top 4. But we can't really know who is the best when there's 32 teams in the playoffs and we've only seen 12 or so of them. I do think Union would win by 2 TDs due to how physical they are. 

Against Graham?

2 minutes ago, Suit Up said:

What do you think that? MW finished their season at 3-7. Just because they’re a bigger school doesn’t mean they’re good.

To be fair, they play a brutal schedule. Greenville is the prohibitive favorite to win in TSSAA 4A, then you Add in Farragut, Science Hill, Dobyns Bennett who is much improved over the last few years. And Bearden is no slouch. 

16 minutes ago, Suit Up said:

What do you think that? MW finished their season at 3-7. Just because they’re a bigger school doesn’t mean they’re good.

MoWest's record doesnt look good, but they had more offense and points against every team on their schedule than they did Union. Knox Farragut held them to 10, but I believe they had that 10 in the first half. Didn't score a TD on Union until the final minute.

And Union had 5 fumbles lost and an INT. Score could have easily been 42-0 had it not been for the TOs. And for the D to stay on the field for as long as they did and hold them to 3 pts through 47 minutes is impressive. 

41 minutes ago, UniON_FoOtBaLL said:

Didn't Bluefield also give up a Fumble for a TD so.. Ive watched the Bluefield Richlands an Marion game of Graham Honestly didn't blow me away still a very, very good team. If you get Physical with them then seems like they have a hard time. IMO

Graham returned a fumbled for a touchdown & Bluefield returned an interception for a touchdown so that part is a wash. Both teams really only sustained one "good" drive each all game. The other time each was in scoring position Bluefied kicked a field goal and Graham fumbled on the 1 yard line with less than a minute to go. Graham "could've" won that game but I won't say "should've" because that was one of the most evenly matched games I've ever seen. Neither team showed an edge. 

Both teams have improved since that game. I thought Bluefield might struggle against A couple teams early but there's no way I would want to play them now. I can't believe how much better they look now & I think it is all but a lock they play for the state championship. Graham with the QB play of Allen is a different team now and even with the loss of Reed I think they're a better team now than they were 11 weeks ago. 

But to @UVAObserver's point, the Region D perception would be a lot different had Graham not handed the ball off to win the game to a player that hadn't touched the ball all game lol I'm not saying that Graham is better than Union but even with the 1 loss by Graham it came down to the last week of the season to determine the 1 seed. If graham beats Bluefield they're the #1 seed comfortably and would most likely be the favorites to win the region to the casual fan. 

10 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

MoWest's record doesnt look good, but they had more offense and points against every team on their schedule than they did Union. Knox Farragut held them to 10, but I believe that had that 10 in the first half. Didn't score on Union until the final minute.

And Union had 5 fumbles lost and an INT. Score could have easily been 42-0 had it not been for the TOs. And for the D to stay on the field for as long as they did and hold them to 3 pts through 47 minutes is impressive. 

I don’t think it’s a bad win at all. I just can’t bring myself to be excited about beating a 3-7 team even given their competition. I know Union is a good team. In the bracket challenge I picked them to go all the way, because I think Appomattox will come from region C, but with all the success they’ve had the last 3 years they haven’t had to come to southwest Va and play in the kind of environment they’ll see in Bullit. But I think one weakness of Union is them allowing teams they should put away hang around longer than they should. They should’ve buried Richlands with the difference in yards and such, but had a couple things went a different way, they lose that game at home. Same kind of thing with Abingdon and Lee hanging around so long and also the MW game. I’m afraid they may slip up and lose to someone in these playoffs they shouldn’t.

4 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Graham returned a fumbled for a touchdown & Bluefield returned an interception for a touchdown so that part is a wash. Both teams really only sustained one "good" drive each all game. The other time each was in scoring position Bluefied kicked a field goal and Graham fumbled on the 1 yard line with less than a minute to go. Graham "could've" won that game but I won't say "should've" because that was one of the most evenly matched games I've ever seen. Neither team showed an edge. 

Both teams have improved since that game. I thought Bluefield might struggle against A couple teams early but there's no way I would want to play them now. I can't believe how much better they look now & I think it is all but a lock they play for the state championship. Graham with the QB play of Allen is a different team now and even with the loss of Reed I think they're a better team now than they were 11 weeks ago. 

But to @UVAObserver's point, the Region D perception would be a lot different had Graham not handed the ball off to win the game to a player that hadn't touched the ball all game lol I'm not saying that Graham is better than Union but even with the 1 loss by Graham it came down to the last week of the season to determine the 1 seed. If graham beats Bluefield they're the #1 seed comfortably and would most likely be the favorites to win the region to the casual fan. 

I wouldn’t say it’s a lock. According to their bracket a potential round 3 matchup with Bridgeport awaits. The Beavers can’t be thrilled about that.