Union vs. Richlands rematch

trumpet1988

16 minutes ago, Beamerball said:

Union's "#43" was just a freshman last year at Lee, correct?  They had a couple of really good backers and rb's, including Rasnic, playing ahead.  Seem to recall hearing his name a good bit last season even so.  Heard a lot of people saying positive things.

Just going by what I was told. 

He's a sophomore, and felt the staff didn't value his talent apparently. He doesn't play ILB so he wouldn't be competing with Rasnic, (who, lets be honest had a very disappointing senior year) but apparently some things happened and theu felt Union was a better fit. Again I don't know a whole lot, just bits of what I've heard. 

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

Just going by what I was told. 

He's a sophomore, and felt the staff didn't value his talent apparently. He doesn't play ILB so he wouldn't be competing with Rasnic, (who, lets be honest had a very disappointing senior year) but apparently some things happened and theu felt Union was a better fit. Again I don't know a whole lot, just bits of what I've heard. 

Understood.  Know nothing of the situation myself, I just remember hearing several positive remarks and I do remember hearing the name some.  Seems like there are several from Lee that usually play for Union.  

Back to the original topic of this thread.  Richlands Vs Union.  For a rivalry to exist both sides need victory.  For a rivalry to grow both sides need close wins.  For a rivalry to be defined both sides need to have suffered lose.  Richlands Vs Union has become a rivalry that can be at the top of the list for any rivalry in swva.  Union rolled every team this season except Richlands. We faced them two times and both times it was a hard fought win for Union.  I give my utmost respect go every young man that strapped on a helmet for the blues this season. They came to our house with no fear in their heart and victory on their mind. They damn near grabbed the W.  Be proud blues you all are an impressive and worthy opponent.  Can't wait to meet y'all again next season on the gridiron.  

Very good game, great atmosphere, good sportsmanship on both sides, good and true fans on both sides.  This game was as good as it gets, like watching a state final, not a 1 vs 8 by any means.  Go easy on the transfers.  Richlands has been going to state finals and semi-finals for a long time and the players who transfer do so to increase their chances of being seen on the highest level.  Nothing illegal about that, and it Mance and company or Union, or anyone else for that matter is doing anything wrong, the I'm sure the heads of state at VHSL would be on their back right away.  Richlands had one player who transferred to Bluefield and played quarterback, his father was a basketball coach at Richlands, so don't get your panties in a wad about the transfers, everyone does it. 

This final game of Richlands season should have proved that Mance and company can play with anyone even in a down year. So watch your words, the future will eat you up when your team plays Richlands.  Hats off to Union, they did what they had to do to win a very tough and hard fought game, wish them well the rest of their season, and know that we will meet again in the not so far off future.

1 hour ago, Blue 72 said:

Very good game, great atmosphere, good sportsmanship on both sides, good and true fans on both sides.  This game was as good as it gets, like watching a state final, not a 1 vs 8 by any means.  Go easy on the transfers.  Richlands has been going to state finals and semi-finals for a long time and the players who transfer do so to increase their chances of being seen on the highest level.  Nothing illegal about that, and it Mance and company or Union, or anyone else for that matter is doing anything wrong, the I'm sure the heads of state at VHSL would be on their back right away.  Richlands had one player who transferred to Bluefield and played quarterback, his father was a basketball coach at Richlands, so don't get your panties in a wad about the transfers, everyone does it. 

This final game of Richlands season should have proved that Mance and company can play with anyone even in a down year. So watch your words, the future will eat you up when your team plays Richlands.  Hats off to Union, they did what they had to do to win a very tough and hard fought game, wish them well the rest of their season, and know that we will meet again in the not so far off future.

Can you please tell me which "transfer" was recognized at the "highest" level because of Richlands? 

I think what Greg Mance has been able to accomplish is great for all the kids in our area.  It does get old hearing many Richlands fans, coaches, family members, etc. Say that going to Richlands you are punching your ticket to a D1 school. 

Can someone kill this thread so we dont have to hear how great this Richlands team that didnt win a playoff game was?

24 minutes ago, 99Bama said:

Can you please tell me which "transfer" was recognized at the "highest" level because of Richlands? 

I think what Greg Mance has been able to accomplish is great for all the kids in our area.  It does get old hearing many Richlands fans, coaches, family members, etc. Say that going to Richlands you are punching your ticket to a D1 school. 

Can someone kill this thread so we dont have to hear how great this Richlands team that didnt win a playoff game was?

Devon Johnson comes to mind, but I didn't say all the transfers came to Richlands to receive a D1 scholarship, but TO BE SEEN ON A HIGHER level, and as for killing this talk about transfers, its not Richlands fans that keep bringing up the subject.  Maybe you should check your facts before asking a Richlands fan not to post on a subject about our team that someone else keeps bringing up. If you don't want us to comment, then don't bring it up.

On 11/10/2017 at 10:20 AM, Blue 72 said:

Not complaining at all, but you implicated that if a school receives transfers they should play a tougher schedule, then you commented on GC and Richlands strength of schedule rating, which lead me to think you were pointing a finger in the direction of Richlands, if I misread I apologize,. I guess its one of those things, "Say what you mean, and mean what you say".

I never mentioned GC or strength of schedule rating. And I said exactly what I meant. Seems you need to maybe comprehend

what you're reading before commenting 

3 minutes ago, Blue 72 said:

Devon Johnson comes to mind, but I didn't say all the transfers came to Richlands to receive a D1 scholarship, but TO BE SEEN ON A HIGHER level, and as for killing this talk about transfers, its not Richlands fans that keep bringing up the subject.  Maybe you should check your facts before asking a Richlands fan not to post on a subject about our team that someone else keeps bringing up. If you don't want us to comment, then don't bring it up.

Devon Johnson went to Marshall. Yed that is a great accomplishment but that's not the "highest" level of college football. Im glad you take great pride in your school and the kids that attend it but Im sorry Richlands High School is not the only school in this area that has produced D1 athletes contrary to what many may think. 

I did not bring up the topic of transfers. But since you mention it, Ive got a son that's in the 8th grade he's 6'4" 240lbs and he can fly. He loves football and it's always been his "dream" to wear that Richlands uniform. Is there anyway possible the Strong's would have a dirt cheap apartment to rent? Lol

2 hours ago, Blue 72 said:

Go easy on the transfers.  Richlands has been going to state finals and semi-finals for a long time and the players who transfer do so to increase their chances of being seen on the highest level.  Nothing illegal about that

It's not illegal.....  as long as you Move and establish a permanent residence inside that school's boundaries. 

31 minutes ago, 99Bama said:

Devon Johnson went to Marshall. Yed that is a great accomplishment but that's not the "highest" level of college football. Im glad you take great pride in your school and the kids that attend it but Im sorry Richlands High School is not the only school in this area that has produced D1 athletes contrary to what many may think. 

I did not bring up the topic of transfers. But since you mention it, Ive got a son that's in the 8th grade he's 6'4" 240lbs and he can fly. He loves football and it's always been his "dream" to wear that Richlands uniform. Is there anyway possible the Strong's would have a dirt cheap apartment to rent? Lol

So if you to kill the thread, why keep it going.  Go back and read all my post, I have never said or made any acknowledgement that Richlands is the only school with D1 prospects, I'm not stupid, but id you will check your stats, Marshall is one good sound program.

54 minutes ago, EH31 said:

It's not illegal.....  as long as you Move and establish a permanent residence inside that school's boundaries. 

A little more to it than just that.

12 hours ago, Blue 72 said:

Sounds like someone on here isn't old enough to buy beer yet.

14 hours ago, RJ7 said:

A little more to it than just that.

Actually, that’s all there is to it...sometimes less than that. If a transfer gives the address of a relative inside a school’s boundries, they can be declaired eligible in some instances. They just have to claim that as their residence. I’m not going to go into where I’ve seen that happen, but I know for a fact it has. The sport the kid transferred to play wasn’t football, either.

11 hours ago, old_school_blue said:

Sounds like someone on here isn't old enough to buy beer yet.

For your info, I'm probably old enough to be your grandfather.  I graduated in Richlands in 72, UK in 76, and have attended high school football games for over 50yrs.  How long have you been a fan? Oh, by the way, explain to me what you viewed wrong with what I posted.

8 hours ago, sup_rbeast said:

Actually, that’s all there is to it...sometimes less than that. If a transfer gives the address of a relative inside a school’s boundries, they can be declaired eligible in some instances. They just have to claim that as their residence. I’m not going to go into where I’ve seen that happen, but I know for a fact it has. The sport the kid transferred to play wasn’t football, either.

Well; "all" family members have to make that move. And if you resided in a home at the previous residence;it has

to be put up for sale. And I don't think you can legally use someone else's established residence as your own.

3 minutes ago, RJ7 said:

Well; "all" family members have to make that move. And if you resided in a home at the previous residence;it has

to be put up for sale. And I don't think you can legally use someone else's established residents as your own.

No so in Virginia.  If player moves in with divorced parent, grandparents, or aunts & uncles or has permission from parents to live with someone in another county and establishes residence the semester before the school year begins, then it is okay.  Now if the whole family moves, then the player doesn't have to prove residence the semester before the following school year.  I for one do not like all these transfers, unless it is a whole family move.  I think you play with the players who have come up through the feeder system and have put in the time and effort.  To often the transfers, even though they may be more talented, take away playing time for the player who has put in all the time for the home town team.

4 minutes ago, Blue 72 said:

No so in Virginia.  If player moves in with divorced parent, grandparents, or aunts & uncles or has permission from parents to live with someone in another county and establishes residence the semester before the school year begins, then it is okay.  Now if the whole family moves, then the player doesn't have to prove residence the semester before the following school year.  I for one do not like all these transfers, unless it is a whole family move.  I think you play with the players who have come up through the feeder system and have put in the time and effort.  To often the transfers, even though they may be more talented, take away playing time for the player who has put in all the time for the home town team.

They have to have legal guardianship. No matter who it is. You just can't say it's ok for so and so to live there.

8 minutes ago, RJ7 said:

They have to have legal guardianship. No matter who it is. You just can't say it's ok for so and so to live there.

I know for a fact that more than one player at a particular area school only gave a relative's address and commuted from their own home to the school they transferred to...close to an hour drive.  This was over a decade ago, but both the school and county involved made sure the eligibility went through, and the kids were immediately eligible.  Both players were excellent and competed in more than one sport in the year they came to the new school.  I'm sure the same thing goes on in other area counties as well.  In reality, there are very few hoops a student has to jump through to be eligible for sports as a transfer.

2 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

I know for a fact that more than one player at a particular area school only gave a relative's address and commuted from their own home to the school they transferred to...close to an hour drive.  This was over a decade ago, but both the school and county involved made sure the eligibility went through, and the kids were immediately eligible.  I'm sure the same thing goes on in other area counties as well.

That sounds highly illegal. Unless it was going into their 9th grade year. Then you can do it but have to provide your own

transportation. But I'm not disputing you that it happened.

6 minutes ago, RJ7 said:

That sounds highly illegal. Unless it was going into their 9th grade year. Then you can do it but have to provide your own

transportation. But I'm not disputing you that it happened.

All three of these guys came from the same school, to the same school, during the same year.  All were seniors. You would be surprised the things that go on in an effort to get players eligible in SWVA...in schools of all sizes and classifications. This is especially true if the transfer destination has high aspirations of achievement for a particular sport...and higher ups are on board with it.  All the VHSL required for immediate eligibility was a verified in-county address, and the paperwork to accompany it.  That's the truth.

45 minutes ago, Blue 72 said:

I'm not sure, but I have been told that if a student lives in the same county and chooses to switch schools, its okay as long as they have transportation to and from school.  Can anyone tell me if that is correct.

If your talking about after you enter 9th grade, You can transfer you can transfer like that...if you don’t mind setting for 365 days for elegibility. And the court appointed guardian transfer that was mentioned earlier in this thread...it’s a 90 SCHOOL DAY sit. If the family moves, your good to go that day. I’ve heard the vhsl does look into it though. 

Entering 9th grade you go where you want and are eligible.