Union vs. Richlands rematch

trumpet1988

Yes, there is more pressure on Union but Union has more than just Mitchell, they have 3 other running backs that are very good, the front 7 on defense have tons of experience, the ticket to beating Union is whether they come out flat in the first quarter. If Richlands can  score quickly  in the first quarter then they will have a better chance at victory. If Union comes out fast and limit mistakes, they will win by 2 TD. 

Richlands' best Offensive set seems to be the "power I" disguised as a spread set. With the H back being the power back;

the RB as a FB and the QB playing the role of TB.

5 minutes ago, RJ7 said:

Stats from the first Union/Richlands game would indicate that Union is much better up front. 

Forget about the stats from week 2.  Both teams know what is at stake, win or go home.  This is going to be the best game in the playoff until you get to the Championship in my opinion. 

13 minutes ago, Blue 72 said:

Forget about the stats from week 2.  Both teams know what is at stake, win or go home.  This is going to be the best game in the playoff until you get to the Championship in my opinion. 

I don't think you can just throw those stats out.Especially how those stats were accumulated. Up front in the trenches. Now, certainly 

one team could improve upon those one way or the other.

The past several games show that Union has progressively improved. Union's secondary sounds like they still need some work. This game is at Bullitt Park. That is one thing giving Union an edge on paper. Zirkle, Qualls, Jenkins, and DEFINITELY Mitchell are Union's major offensive threats. The edge on athletes and offensive execution seems like it is firmly in Union's favor. 

However, this is a rivalry. Richlands is NOT going to be an easy out and they will not just lay down. Union is going to have to come ready and fired up. If they are then I see this being a 20-7 affair in favor of Union. If not then Richlands could make them pay. 

I think the biggest factor in this game is going to be turnovers or the lack thereof. If Richlands has a +2 turnover margin advantage of better, they can win this game. If not, they won’t in my opinion.

QUALLS has had a pick in every game i think, MITCHELL has picked off several,the D is what rules the game, and the kicking game may favor RICHLANDS, but they will kick away from MITCHELL, i hope TURNER puts 2 deep ,OWENS,JENKINS are both good choices

Just now, RJ7 said:

Why wouldn't you put 2 deep on punt return? Controls field position;even if you just fair catch everything.

Plus you can play games with the punter on where Mitchell is lined up. Stack them then split them at the last second.

1 hour ago, RJ7 said:

I don't think you can just throw those stats out.Especially how those stats were accumulated. Up front in the trenches. Now, certainly 

one team could improve upon those one way or the other.

Neither team is exactly the same as in the 2nd week of the season.  Both have improved with experience, and yes Union has one of the best lines in the region, but Richlands can boast well of their line also.  Take away the Mitchell punt return in the first game and you will notice that both lines were about equal.  Richlands moved the ball well, just couldn't punch it in for the TD, and Union likewise found ways to move the ball especially on fourth down, but this was a pretty evenly matched game without that punt return.  With the schedule Richlands has played, they have been here before, that's why I don't think this is going to be a blow out by Union.  I think it will be nip and tuck the whole way and Mance and crew will find a way to come out on top.  RHS 17  Union 14

6 minutes ago, Blue 72 said:

Neither team is exactly the same as in the 2nd week of the season.  Both have improved with experience, and yes Union has one of the best lines in the region, but Richlands can boast well of their line also.  Take away the Mitchell punt return in the first game and you will notice that both lines were about equal.  Richlands moved the ball well, just couldn't punch it in for the TD, and Union likewise found ways to move the ball especially on fourth down, but this was a pretty evenly matched game without that punt return.  With the schedule Richlands has played, they have been here before, that's why I don't think this is going to be a blow out by Union.  I think it will be nip and tuck the whole way and Mance and crew will find a way to come out on top.  RHS 17  Union 14

Wait a minute;didn't Union rush for over 300 yards. And held Riclands under 100 yards. And didn't Union turn the ball over a couple times

in the red zone. Once on the one yard line. Looks to me like Union clearly out played Richlands. Just to be fair.

6 minutes ago, richlandsvol said:

Richlands schedule has them prepared for the playoffs i think richlands wins this one 

So Richlands' schedule prepared them to beat Va.High 12-7? Just sking.

1 hour ago, RJ7 said:

Wait a minute;didn't Union rush for over 300 yards. And held Riclands under 100 yards. And didn't Union turn the ball over a couple times

in the red zone. Once on the one yard line. Looks to me like Union clearly out played Richlands. Just to be fair.

Yes your stats are correct. 

1 hour ago, RJ7 said:

You are right, I apologize for my ignorance to the game stats. Still think this is going to be one of the best and toughest games during the playoffs, and I'm not the only one who thinks Richlands will come out on top, after all it is the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, richlandsvol said:

Richlands schedule has them prepared for the playoffs i think richlands wins this one 

You mean that they are prepared to lose to a much better team??? lol

I just couldn't resist that one :)

All jokes aside I think that Union still will handle them and look for something along the lines of 28-17

1 hour ago, Blue 72 said:

Take away the Mitchell punt return for TD and you very well could have a Union TD on first play from scrimmage. 

Nothing against Richlands but with the stats overall it wasn’t really even. 

7 minutes ago, trumpet1988 said:

Take away the Mitchell punt return for TD and you very well could have a Union TD on first play from scrimmage. 

Nothing against Richlands but with the stats overall it wasn’t really even. 

I've already apologized for my ignorance of the stats of that game, so moving on , I wish all the best, and hope to see a good game.  I know Union should win on paper, Marion should have blown Richlands out on paper, Graham should have never been pushed to OT on paper, and no way VH looses on paper, boy I'm glad this game won't be played on paper.  Hats off to all the Union players, coaches, and fans, you have had a great season and I hope it continues for all of you, but this is the playoff's and the games still have to be played and yes, anything can happen, even a Richlands win.

I view both teams ultra talented on defense, probably the two best in the west, as far as front seven's go. Union is better offensively but to say there is not more pressure on Union is a little naïve. Union is suppose to make a run, this season has pointed to for quite a few years by the players and fans. If they don't do it this year it may never happen. Like I posted before I still think Mance is a better coach but Union wins the game.

10 minutes ago, SXSW said:

Union is suppose to make a run, this season has pointed to for quite a few years by the players and fans. If they don't do it this year it may never happen. 

That can add pressure to a team. Not saying it has for Union. But that kind of expectation = pressure from outside. 

I would hope that TRAVIS and team prepare as if both teams are 0-0, because there are no next weeks. I have had a feeling that TRAVIS has held back the vast majority of the play book, including a vesion of the single wing, two qb's in the same backfield throwing the ball.Maybe i am wrong but i dont see any LB covering MITCHELL ON A SWING PASS.I suspect that MANCE will try to limit our touches with his new found ground game and going for it on 4th and short. Their kicking game will include some sort of on sides kickoff and maybe a fake punt. I also see many many screen passes to slow our rush down....great game come FRIDAY, see you there!!!