Union vs. Richlands rematch

trumpet1988

13 minutes ago, Suit Up said:

Brown isn’t the better of the two though. 

Just saying the coaches thought so when the season started. You start yo-yoing them around and they both lose confidence.

Edited by RJ7
spelling

Just because I said I felt like Union would beat any team in the region by 2-3 score does not translate into me saying Union beats graham by 21. Really guys?  Two scores (12-16 points, yes). Some have mentioned higher margins. But that game isn’t scheduled. Union plays Richlands at the park Friday night at 7. A great rivalry with mutual respect. It’ll be a fun game. 

2 hours ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

DB scored 20 in the fourth. Morristown west had a 2 point lead entering the 4th. 

2 hours ago, Suit Up said:

Richlands was down 14-10 to Blacksburg and it was Blues ball at the beginning of the fourth quarter. Does that mean they almost beat Blacksburg?Because if I stated that I’d be laughed off the board.

I think the point is that both Richlands and Mo West were competitive teams that had bad seasons and a win over either, while not a victory of epic proportion, was a solid win nonetheless. There is a difference in losing a game 40-20 in the 4th versus it being 40-0 at halftime. Had a bounce here or there gone Richlands way, they could very easily have a winning record right now. 

5 hours ago, RJ7 said:

Just saying the coaches thought so when the season started. You start yo-yoing them around and they both lose confidence.

I'm sure Brown's confidence is definitely shaken, could be part of the problem. Switching things up too often on offense or defense can be detrimental to players and team. Just my opinion

I heard he has been practicing for full go and a start at LB Friday night. Which will help tremendously on stopping the run. Will move Johnson to outside LB. I know he can't be in game ready condition but he shut down Belfry in preseason. 

Who knows though.

54 minutes ago, local_insight said:

I heard he has been practicing for full go and a start at LB Friday night. Which will help tremendously on stopping the run. Will move Johnson to outside LB. I know he can't be in game ready condition but he shut down Belfry in preseason. 

Who knows though.

I hope he gets to play this being his senior year. Its going to be hard for him coming in to this game with not playing all year long. especially in a game like this where Union is going to run at them all night. Hopefully they give him some plays off I was hearing at the season start he was a gym rat so he more then likely will be ready

2 minutes ago, UniON_FoOtBaLL said:

I hope he gets to play this being his senior year. Its going to be hard for him coming in to this game with not playing all year long. especially in a game like this where Union is going to run at them all night. Hopefully they give him some plays off I was hearing at the season start he was a gym rat so he more then likely will be ready

Kids a beast. I think his mind and heart will be ready to play at full force if he is able to, just don’t know if his body will be. I hope he is able to play and play well. For a kid to never play his senior year in something that goes by as quickly as high school football does, is a heartbreaking thing.

1 hour ago, Suit Up said:

Tore Achilles against Grundy in the preseason benefit  game on Aug. 17

If he's back already then my god he must be an absolute freak of nature. From what I know about Achilles injuries is that it usually takes around 6 weeks before you can even START physical therapy. I hope for his case he is ready to go, but I hope he's not put into a situation to where he takes one shot to the Achilles and has to have another surgery. 

Does he play Defensive Back or Running Back or Wide Receiver?  These are the areas where Richlands is down a bit from years past.  The front 7 is fine, but the defensive backfield can't cover like years past, and the WR's don't get the separation like years past.  Richlands has the size and should go ground and pound.  I know it's not in Mance's nature, but this would benefit the Blues offensively more than any other options with the talent present.  One other thing, 44 is a natural beast.  If 44 gets 20 carries against Union, it will be a ballgame in the 4th quarter, watch and see.  The problem is, Mance is throwing the ball on 2nd and 6 or 2nd and 7, only to have an incompletion, then a 3rd and long.  Richlands needs to run the ball with 44 with that big line, and just do something radically different or counterintuitive to which Mance is accustomed to over the years.  That's their best chance at beating Union.

33 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

If he's back already then my god he must be an absolute freak of nature. From what I know about Achilles injuries is that it usually takes around 6 weeks before you can even START physical therapy. I hope for his case he is ready to go, but I hope he's not put into a situation to where he takes one shot to the Achilles and has to have another surgery. 

He never had surgery. I don't think it completely tore. Or at least that's what I was told. 

27 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

He never had surgery. I don't think it completely tore. Or at least that's what I was told. 

I wasn’t sure if he had surgery or not. I had heard it wasn’t as bad as originally suspected, but Achilles injuries can be a nuisance to get over regardless of severity.

59 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

Does he play Defensive Back or Running Back or Wide Receiver?  These are the areas where Richlands is down a bit from years past.  The front 7 is fine, but the defensive backfield can't cover like years past, and the WR's don't get the separation like years past.  Richlands has the size and should go ground and pound.  I know it's not in Mance's nature, but this would benefit the Blues offensively more than any other options with the talent present.  One other thing, 44 is a natural beast.  If 44 gets 20 carries against Union, it will be a ballgame in the 4th quarter, watch and see.  The problem is, Mance is throwing the ball on 2nd and 6 or 2nd and 7, only to have an incompletion, then a 3rd and long.  Richlands needs to run the ball with 44 with that big line, and just do something radically different or counterintuitive to which Mance is accustomed to over the years.  That's their best chance at beating Union.

From the looks of what I saw yesterday, the wing T may be ahead of us Friday night. #44, #45, #3 in the back field with #35 as the motion man. 

1 hour ago, local_insight said:

From the looks of what I saw yesterday, the wing T may be ahead of us Friday night. #44, #45, #3 in the back field with #35 as the motion man. 

Okay, you must have been at practice, so the one player you didn't call out is the QB.  Who was playing QB?

1 hour ago, local_insight said:

No offense to you or 45 or 3, but again, this speaks to the problem.  45 and 3 may run through a wall and be the greatest hardworking kids around.  But again, I didn't write #45 or #3, I wrote, #44 as in Johnson.  That's it, no others, Just 44. Get the kid the ball and stop trying to show the local natives how "diverse or deep" you are in the running game with 45 or 3, and stop trying to show the natives how "advanced your offense is" with the ignorant passing plays that kills your drives.  Why ignorant?  You have a physical, big, and strong offensive line and you have an absolute beast at 44 that should have been carrying the football since his sophomore year, and HE is the most talented football player on your team, and HE needs the ball 20 times per games.  Wing T is great, but just go traditional set or power eye and force people to stop #44 with 2 blockers in front of him, and if you lose, then you lose, but this gives you the best chance to win.  You are not going to dink and duck and "finesse" Union with a short passing game and win.  You don't have the athletes at WR or the QB that is consistently accurate enough to do so.  RUN the ball with 44.

6 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Prob not best way to attack Union IMO. 

The best way to attack Union is to use your strong points.  The strong points for Richlands is the offensive line and 44, not the QBs or WR's.  This means, run the ball, and if you lose, then you lose.  But, passing and 7 step drops aren't going to beat Union.  From a perspective of Richlands, it's not about whether "Richlands can or will beat Union".  It's about what give Richlands the best chance to win.