Grayson co. Vs Ridgeview

cwood78

Everybody keeps telling me Grayson has a big physical defense. If they make it a physical game they win. If RV can get their skill guys making a few plays then it belongs to the pack. Ridgeview's Achilles heel is that their line is small and not real strong. They have gotten big plays when they needed them several times this year on O and D that bailed them out. I hope to get to watch a little film this evening. 

It will be interesting, I think Graysons best chance is to take the air out of the ball and try to control the clock. RV on the other hand needs to force Grayson to spread out there D and cover there playmakers in space.

The limited film I saw of Grayson did not make me think that they were overly big (I am sure that they will be bigger than RV given that has been the case for the 1st 10 games this season) I would be interested in the opinions of Marion since they played them earlier in the season

On a side note This will also be Gaysons 1st game on Artificial turf and while I don't think that in itself is that big a deal there local paper had quoted there coach in saying that they would have to get access to practicing on turf this week and IMHO taking a team out of there routine can be a bigger deal.

37 minutes ago, Counts said:

On a side note This will also be Gaysons 1st game on Artificial turf and while I don't think that in itself is that big a deal there local paper had quoted there coach in saying that they would have to get access to practicing on turf this week and IMHO taking a team out of there routine can be a bigger deal.

Well, they don't have far to go to practice on one since Galax has one now.  Just a matter of whether Galax would let their rival have a practice or two there.  :)

Just now, swva_havok_fan said:

Well, they don't have far to go to practice on one since Galax has one now.  Just a matter of whether Galax would let their rival have a practice or two there.  :)

Dixon and McPherson are good friends.  I can't imagine Dixon will have an issue with it but school board and administration might be a different matter altogether. 

53 minutes ago, Counts said:

It will be interesting, I think Graysons best chance is to take the air out of the ball and try to control the clock. RV on the other hand needs to force Grayson to spread out there D and cover there playmakers in space.

The limited film I saw of Grayson did not make me think that they were overly big (I am sure that they will be bigger than RV given that has been the case for the 1st 10 games this season) I would be interested in the opinions of Marion since they played them earlier in the season

Grayson is big in most spots on the field, including their key offensive weapons at WR in Seth Phillips and Tanner McPherson.  Defensively, they are led by Crue Cassell.  Kid's a load like his dad and uncles were.  I graduated with his uncles and his mom in 1992.

2 Tanner McPherson Rec/DB 12 6'3 190
3 Ethan Brown RB/DB 11 5'7'' 150
4 Tony Osborne Rec/DB 12 5'11'' 170
5 Jake Hollingsworth QB/DB 11 5'8'' 155
7 Logan Douglas Rec/DB 10 5'8'' 120
8 Grayson Jordan FB/DB 10 5'9'' 170
12 Chase Pope QB/DB 10 6'1'' 150
18 Garrett Wyatt Rec/DB 12 5'10'' 165
20 Gage Peeples RB/LB 11 5'8'' 180
21 Dawson Allen RB/LB 10 5'8'' 135
22 Levi Johnson RB/DB 11 5'8'' 145
25 Devin Poe TE/LB 9 5'10'' 155
30 Crue Cassell OL/LB 11 5'10'' 265
30 Logan Rebollar FB/DL 11 6'0'' 215
34 Chandler Landaverde RB/DB 11 5'8'' 140
42 Elijah Anderson TE/LB 11 6'1'' 180
51 Jaron Greer OL/DL 9 5'10'' 240
53 Jordan Bailey OL/DL 12 6'0 240
54 Matthew Bourne OL/DL 12 5'10'' 260
55 Devonta Cox OL/DL 9 5'9'' 235
58 Grayson Osborne OL/DL 10 6'0'' 215
63 Hunter Widner G/DL 11 6'2'' 205
71 James Underwood OL/DL 10 5'9'' 215
73 Jacob Funk OL/DL 9 6'1'' 265
74 Garrett Caldwell OL/DL 9 6'0'' 270
75 Isaac Jones OL/DL 11 5'11'' 265
80 Hoke Carrico TE/LB 10 6'2'' 200
81 Boyer Weatherman TE/LB 9 6'1'' 175
82 Seth Phillips Rec/DB 12 6'2 210
83 Samuel Lipps TE/LB 10 6'4'' 180

Grayson has steadily improved all season.  If they can replace Phillips and McPherson next season, they will be very good in my opinion.  But this season will end in a close, hard-fought opening round playoff game loss to Ridgeview. 

27 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

It's possible. Tn. High let us use their field yesterday because of the heavy rain and the fact our practice field is torn up and muddy, and we have over 100 years of hatred between us! Lol

6 minutes ago, Counts said:
30 Crue Cassell OL/LB 11 5'10'' 265

Logan Rebollar FB/DL 11 6'0''

What number is Crue?

I assume that at 5 10 and 260 he will not be covering the backs out of the backfield?

Crue is #50.  He was a FB and LB last season and wore #30.  I took this roster straight off of the Grayson athletics page as is.  I assume they never updated the number and it's been overlooked.  

RV has faced a big strong line before --UNION, so they know what they have to do , run east west look for a lane and cut it back, screen passes , middle screen ect. 10 YARDS AND A CLOUD OF AIR WITH ASHORT PASSING GAME

6 hours ago, Counts said:

That's odd that he would even mention that. Seems going from grass to turf would be far less different than turf to grass.

Would love to see this game. I have no clue who wins since I know jack about Grayson Co, but I have to go with the pack at home.

8 hours ago, Counts said:

Marion scored 18 points against Grayson, but only 5 of those points were based on the merits of the offense. Marion got two touchdowns, both in the fourth quarter, off a kickoff return for a TD and a pick-6. They are the least flashy team in SWVA. What they lack in skill, they make up for in discipline, and boy, is that an understatement. They are far and away the most disciplined and aware defense I've seen this year. They have big talented receivers, but barring a busted coverage or a lucky play, the passing game likely won't be a factor because they QB doesn't deliver well to them. They do run a veer, but it's nothing fancy. Five plays and ball control. Their passing game is almost exclusively fades and slants, but they lure you in because you have to account for their power running game. They are the perfect example of how to do more with less.

DO. NOT. TURN. THE BALL. OVER. It's been Grayson's calling card all season. They forced seven turnovers against Glenvar and four or five against Marion. 

My recommendation to the folks in Dickenson is to have no expectations for this game except for a dogfight. I think most Grayson fans would tell you that even at this point in the season, they don't have a great feel for the team because they've been swinging above their weight class all season.

On 11/7/2017 at 1:03 PM, swva_havok_fan said:

On 11/7/2017 at 1:08 PM, sixcat said:

Dixon and McPherson are good friends.  I can't imagine Dixon will have an issue with it but school board and administration might be a different matter altogether. 

I meant to update this last night but couldn't find the time and forgot this morning.  My wife is in Richmond all week for work.  Admittedly, i'm a bit discombobulated.  I may not be an Uber driver in real life, but I play one at home for my kids from time to time!

I had to pick my oldest daughter up at school last night following a robotics team meeting.  Grayson was there practicing.

I think Grayson has a solid football team and have definitely gotten better ending the season with 2 qualities wins.....just dont think they have speed or athletes to handle RV.  RV has wins over a good Abingdon team and several solid other wins.   They also played Union much closer than most.  

On 11/7/2017 at 4:30 PM, jarhead24219 said:

RV has faced a big strong line before --UNION, so they know what they have to do , run east west look for a lane and cut it back, screen passes , middle screen ect. 10 YARDS AND A CLOUD OF AIR WITH ASHORT PASSING GAME

Ten yards and a cloud of air!  Lmao. 

On 11/7/2017 at 6:28 PM, Union_Fan said:

That's odd that he would even mention that. Seems going from grass to turf would be far less different than turf to grass.

Would love to see this game. I have no clue who wins since I know jack about Grayson Co, but I have to go with the pack at home.

Playing on "Turf Grass" is not that much different in terms of going from natural grass to turf;just faster. You can wear your regular

cleats that you wear for grass. Now the old Artificial Turf is a different story. You had to completely change shoes and all that jazz.

Good win for GC and strong effort by RV...odd game ,scoreboard not working several loooooong officiating conferences.....17 penalties between the 2.  RV had a number of opportunites to break game open...Grayson had a punt blocked,threw a pick inside RV 10 and fumbled 3 times losing 1.  GC just seemed to survive for a while until RV gave them huge break fumbling going in which was returned for 90 plus yard bringing GC to within 3 (22-18) instead of trailing by 16 (28-12).  GC then got a stop and proceeded to keep ball for an almost 8 min,17 play drive taking their first lead at 25-21 . With a little over 2 min to go  RV came storming down field to just come up short in last seconds.   Didn't think either team played there best both both really played hard 

Really questionable officials conferences that sometimes lasted several minutes. It got ugly as the officials were leaving the field. People are tweeting to wcyb this morning that an official was charged with 2 counts of assault on Ridgeview fans after the game. RV had chances to put the game away but didn’t get it done regardless of officiating. 

1 hour ago, big ugly vol said:

Really questionable officials conferences that sometimes lasted several minutes. It got ugly as the officials were leaving the field. People are tweeting to wcyb this morning that an official was charged with 2 counts of assault on Ridgeview fans after the game. RV had chances to put the game away but didn’t get it done regardless of officiating. 

That's correct. Official (won't say his name to protect his privacy) is actually from TazCo. Hate hearing things like that. From what I've heard from those who were there, sounds like a couple of RV fans came after him or his crew as they were leaving and it got heated he must have won. Those are the last things you want to hear at a football game at any level. Hopefully it doesn't reflect poorly on the RV fanbase, which has been a good one over their first 3 years. 

Officiating was terrible but equally terrible.

I was right there with the fiasco after the game. Several fans felt the need to show themselves by yelling and screaming obscenities at the refs as they were walking off the field. One even felt it was a good idea to get up in a refs face and yell. At some point a ref supposedly shoved the guy away and things got really heated, including the guys wife pulling him by the arm begging him to stop. I didnt see the shove but supposedly after that a woman got shoved too. 

Lots of fans were upset and yelling, a handful took it too far. Nasty, embarrassing scene. 

On a positive note the RV players all ran out carrying American flags and a group of vets presented the colors before the game,  really classy.

From the best of humanity to the worst in one night

3 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

That's correct. Official (won't say his name to protect his privacy) is actually from TazCo. Hate hearing things like that. From what I've heard from those who were there, sounds like a couple of RV fans came after him or his crew as they were leaving and it got heated he must have won. Those are the last things you want to hear at a football game at any level. Hopefully it doesn't reflect poorly on the RV fanbase, which has been a good one over their first 3 years. 

I wasn't there and obviously don't know the story so correct me if I'm wrong. But if the fans were the ones who instigated it like that then they shouldn't be left off the hook either. They should receive some sort of punishment aswell. 

I wasn’t there and have no insight on what happened. What I will say as a former official for a little over 20 years, if I’m going to err, it will be on the side of self preservation!

About 20 years ago while umpiring a baseball tournament at the Moyer in Salem, things got heated between our 3-man crew and some parents. We turned our backs and walked away when one of those parents hit the home plate ump in the back of he head with a bat. The impact gave him a skull fracture.

To this day, Jeff gets daily treatment similar to that of a stroke survivor. He has balance and coordination issues and suffers from slurred speech, headaches and vertigo. 

As I said, I wouldn't turn my back again and will err on the side of self preservation. Even if some think I’ve overreacted!