0-10

jjkfan

48 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

So what's the solution? Put just 4 in each region and 8 win teams don't make it in?

Exactly. I understand not wanting 4-6 teams getting in. I get it. But I would rather a 4-6 team get in than an 8-2 team be sitting at home. 

1 minute ago, jarhead24219 said:

make it 5/5 or better and if there are no teams that qualify the top seats gets a bye.....simple

What happens if there's 5 teams that fit that bill. Only 5. Everyone else is 4-6 or less? How will you fix that problem?

RICHLANDS, BLACKSBURG,JONESVILLE, APPALACHIA , all were ,are good teams, but 0-10???who really thinks they have a shot at winning.I guess I am an old timer and it should mean something to winning games in regular season, in the end  the VHSL wants those gate receipts to pay for their meetings at the beach. If I were on a 0-10 team ,it would be insulting to me to play APPOMATTOX or CLARKE,just to be beat to death

2 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

RICHLANDS, BLACKSBURG,JONESVILLE, APPALACHIA , all were ,are good teams, but 0-10???who really thinks they have a shot at winning.I guess I am an old timer and it should mean something to winning games in regular season, in the end  the VHSL wants those gate receipts to pay for their meetings at the beach. If I were on a 0-10 team ,it would be insulting to me to play APPOMATTOX or CLARKE,just to be beat to death

In that region, you'd have 2 teams. The other 4 teams in Region B are all 4-6 or worse. What are you supposed to do? Only have a regional championship and give those teams TWO weeks off after the season? That's not fair to the rest of the teams in the other regions who are playing games. 

Just now, Ryan4VT said:

In that region, you'd have 2 teams. The other 4 teams in Region B are all 4-6 or worse. What are you supposed to do? Only have a regional championship and give those teams TWO weeks off after the season? That's not fair to the rest of the teams in the other regions who are playing games. 

we differ in ways to the same goals, it all works out in the end but it used to mean something to win the SWD or LPD,now..not so much.In SALEM the two best teams will play and we will have to listen to the fool on the basketball site piss everyone off

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Just let every team play in playoffs and make regular season completely irrelevant...and if you finish 0-11 then make sure those kids get a participation trophy

Geez it's getting worse every year

And how would you fix it? 

You are Region B. You have 6 teams and your region is supposed to be a 3 week competition to decide a regional champion. 

You're teams are 10-0, 9-1, 4-6, 2-8, 0-10, 0-10. 

What are you gonna do? Have the 1 and 2 seeds play a best of 3 to decide a winner? 'Cause you sure can't have a 2 team regional tournament. 

6 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

And how would you fix it? 

You are Region B. You have 6 teams and your region is supposed to be a 3 week competition to decide a regional champion. 

You're teams are 10-0, 9-1, 4-6, 2-8, 0-10, 0-10. 

What are you gonna do? Have the 1 and 2 seeds play a best of 3 to decide a winner? 'Cause you sure can't have a 2 team regional tournament. 

One thing is to not have a region with only 6 Damn teams...make all regions as equal as possible...they don't care about travel no matter what they say.

4 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

So what's the solution? Put just 4 in each region and 8 win teams don't make it in?

Bingo, but split the middle between 4 and 8, and for Classifications 1 through 4, allow 6 teams per region in the playoffs with the 1 and 2 seeds getting first round byes.  For Divisions 5 and 6 of which you have more teams, allow the current 8 teams in the playoffs.  The concern is error on the side of safety.  Kind of like our criminal justice system.  We know there are many guilty that will walk, but there are much, much less not-guilty that get falsely convicted.  The same with the playoffs. we are worried far more about a deserving team being "falsely convicted" (left out of the playoffs) than we are a non-deserving team making the playoffs (guilty, but not convicted).

We don't need 8 teams to make it in per region to be sure a playoff deserving team does not get left out.  We only need 6 to do that. Richlands begs the question and challenges the above because of their schedule, but I think Richlands situation could be fixed with a better power-ranking system of which they would have rightfully finished 6th and ahead of Battle and Grayson because of the strength of their schedule.   Therefore, I think the solution is not making it 8 teams, but the solution is giving more weight to strength of schedule and the power ranking system being improved to place more weight on strength of schedule.

13 minutes ago, redtiger said:

The solution is East and West divisions with 8 teams each(as opposed to 16 like before).  I love regions, I'm VERY excited that we are going to have regional champs to represent our area in the state tournament but it creates issues. 

In that situation, you'd have two 8-2 teams and a 7-3 team left out. Maybe if you go to 12 and give the top 4 BYEs, then you'd have the 12 seed at 6-4 and everyone else 7-3 and above. 

Actually, you'd have two 8-2 teams and a 7-3 team left out on BOTH sides of the bracket. That's 6 teams with damn good records that would sit at home. I could get behind East v. West with 12 teams in each. 

5 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

4-6 is one thing but 0-10.  C'mon man.  Richlands got in at 4-6 over 5-5 team right?  The reason they did is their schedule was tougher,  they deserved it.  I'm guessing here but wouldn't almost every team have qualified from down here if they played in that region if two 0-10 teams made it in.   I agree with the other post that the regional boundaries need to be tweaked, as to not have only 6 teams in the region. 

Since you put it that way, I'll tell you wtf it matters.  If a team is playing schools the same size and they and their coaches suck so bad they can't win a game then they shouldn't be rewarded with a playoff game.  My opinion...

13 hours ago, TTownTigers said:

Bingo, but split the middle between 4 and 8, and for Classifications 1 through 4, allow 6 teams per region in the playoffs with the 1 and 2 seeds getting first round byes.  For Divisions 5 and 6 of which you have more teams, allow the current 8 teams in the playoffs.  The concern is error on the side of safety.  Kind of like our criminal justice system.  We know there are many guilty that will walk, but there are much, much less not-guilty that get falsely convicted.  The same with the playoffs. we are worried far more about a deserving team being "falsely convicted" (left out of the playoffs) than we are a non-deserving team making the playoffs (guilty, but not convicted).

We don't need 8 teams to make it in per region to be sure a playoff deserving team does not get left out.  We only need 6 to do that. Richlands begs the question and challenges the above because of their schedule, but I think Richlands situation could be fixed with a better power-ranking system of which they would have rightfully finished 6th and ahead of Battle and Grayson because of the strength of their schedule.   Therefore, I think the solution is not making it 8 teams, but the solution is giving more weight to strength of schedule and the power ranking system being improved to place more weight on strength of schedule.

Each region has the autonomy to allow as many teams as they choose to make the playoffs.

40 minutes ago, jjkfan said:

Each region has the autonomy to allow as many teams as they choose to make the playoffs.

Exactly.  It's up to the regional chair to decide the number of teams.

Region 6B is very similar to 1B.  6B only has 8 teams, but DID decide to cut 2 teams out, only taking the top 6.

I think I have a solution.  And it's not complicated at all, but there may not be many people who like it.

Do away with non-district games to the greatest extent possible.  This could be done by dividing all VHSL schools into equal sized districts (11 teams in each would be ideal for football) and require everyone to play all of their games within their assigned classification.  Resolves scheduling issues -- everyone is guaranteed the same number of games.  There would also be no need for a ratings system -- decisions would be made based on head to head competition (and tiebreakers could be accommodated when necessary by building a "play in" round into the playoffs).

I'd need to check my numbers in terms of VHSL membership, but 20 districts comprised of 10 members each could easily be divided into 5 classifications.  The classes could then be divided along East/West (or North/South) regions, with two districts each competing for those regional championships.

Of course this would drastically reduce the number of postseason games that might be necessary, and regular season games against out of state opponents would be a thing of the past.  And both of these outcomes would affect somebody's income.  So regardless of any other logistics, those are two reasons why this would never fly.

A bit harsh, but still preferable to the absolutely laughable situation we have now IMO.