John Battle vs Graham @ Mitchell Stadium

starcityfootballfan

Graham will win this one big. Looks like Allen is starting to come along in the passing game.

Which was the one ingredient Graham was missing on Offense. Especially getting other

receivers involved when teams double team Cooke.

14 points on starters, 15 on 2nd string or v/v, The Game was over at half. I will say the QB for Battle was very fast, right side of O line big and they ran to that side more. Battle did not have enough speed on defense to catch the long runs, D line on left side pretty good, they did not give up much in the middle, they could not contain much from tackle out. 

36 minutes ago, EH31 said:

How did John Battle score 29 on Union? Was it garbage time scores? 

@Union_Fan

A couple were legit. But when you're up 26-0 in the first quarter,  motivation goes out the window. They cruised the rest of the game. You could tell the intensity wasn't there like it was in the 20 minutes or so. There was a little subbing on D for Union as well.

Battle has a little speed and they do have lots of things to keep the D guessing out of that triple option.

55 minutes ago, EH31 said:

@Union_Fan

Two were garbage time, one was on a broken play at end of first half. They had one sustained drive that led to TD against starters. IIRC.

Union could've scored 100 if they wanted. 26-0 at end of 1st.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Graham by 4TDs or more. Allen definitely improved as season has gone on; even with our record, I question some play calls in several games but overall Palmer is doing a good job & defense has gotten a lot stronger since last year. I still think a veteran old school coach could be a beneficial addition to team. 

• ghs84 pinned this topic
  • Ryan4VT unpinned this topic
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 1:04 PM, EH31 said:

@Union_Fan

That’s the most points Union gave up all season… BUT,  it was also Union’s highest score all year…

11 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Graham by 4TDs or more. Allen definitely improved as season has gone on; even with our record, I question some play calls in several games but overall Palmer is doing a good job & defense has gotten a lot stronger since last year. I still think a veteran old school coach could be a beneficial addition to team. 

You are kidding, right?  Why fix what is not broken?  Why change what is working?  I just don't see the need for an old school coach adding anything to this team.  I think the coaches on this staff are doing just fine, but maybe you could talk to Palmer and advise him to see what he thinks about your idea.

I bet Mitchell looks awfully empty when it's anyone other than Graham-Beaver or Graham-Blues playing.  Battle might bring 100 fans to the game Saturday.

IF Ridgeview gets there next week, we might bring 500 or so.  I've been disappointed with our turnout the last couple of games.

30 minutes ago, GMan said:

OK, then, WHO should he hire onto the staff in order to make you happy????

How many "experienced" older coaches are out there willing to be an assistant? None. Sure the play calling can be questionable at times but Im sure every fan base feels that way. Kids are coming out to play, they'r winning games, and improving as the year has progressed. 

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I bet Mitchell looks awfully empty when it's anyone other than Graham-Beaver or Graham-Blues playing.  Battle might bring 100 fans to the game Saturday.

IF Ridgeview gets there next week, we might bring 500 or so.  I've been disappointed with our turnout the last couple of games.

If you are talking about both sides being full, then yes it is only packed when it is the Graham/Beaver game or whenever Richlands comes up to Mitchell. This season and last season, other than a few games when it was raining, the Graham side has been full or pretty close to being full the games that I have attended. Our attendance does drop if games are being played on a Saturday because a lot of our fans are passionate VT fans and travel to Blacksburg.

I'm not as impressed as I was thinking I would be with the G Men..I saw some bad attitudes..When they really try I saw some glimpses of old Graham teams but it went away.I think heart is the word I'm looking for..They should beat battle by 2 TDs but I just can't see them going to the semis.If they really come together might be a different story.

Curious as to what bad attitudes?  Graham has come together more as a team this year.  They really mesh well finally.  They’ve been through some tough times with competitiveness within the team.  Finally it’s not a one or two man show.  These kids care about winning and playing as a team.

13 hours ago, Blue 72 said:

You are kidding, right?  Why fix what is not broken?  Why change what is working?  I just don't see the need for an old school coach adding anything to this team.  I think the coaches on this staff are doing just fine, but maybe you could talk to Palmer and advise him to see what he thinks about your idea.

I didn't say it was broken. I actually said they had improved and gave Tony kudos for doing a good job. There were several instances for example, trying to kick about a 50 yard field in a close game when you know it's a miracle if your kicker makes it. It's doubtful more experienced veteran coaches would make those types of play calls. When your best receiver is double covered, you've got to adjust. That didn't happen against Richlands. There is nothing wrong with always trying to improve and gain knowledge and sometimes that might come from bringing in an additional new person with a different perspective. I'm a Graham guy all the way but they'll be hard pressed to win state if they make it past semis. I'll remain optimistic they can take region. 

7 hours ago, vols4life said:

I'm not as impressed as I was thinking I would be with the G Men..I saw some bad attitudes..When they really try I saw some glimpses of old Graham teams but it went away.I think heart is the word I'm looking for..They should beat battle by 2 TDs but I just can't see them going to the semis.If they really come together might be a different story.

Well for me as a outsider in that i have seen only one game but listened to all of them here is my take on them.when their starting qb went down they came together as a team. Coach was very inventive. I was at a game and saw players holding cards up for this young qb. I feel that this was the play to run.it worked very good. And actually got the play into him quicker than having a player run it in with each play.thus no delay of game penalities with a backup qb.this is a team.yes they have struggled in a few games but they stayed together,star receiver not getting the catches but not sulking over it. May not like it but to me it seems like he cares about the team winning.this is just my opinion from listening from afar.

9 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I didn't say it was broken. I actually said they had improved and gave Tony kudos for doing a good job. There were several instances for example, trying to kick about a 50 yard field in a close game when you know it's a miracle if your kicker makes it. It's doubtful more experienced veteran coaches would make those types of play calls. When your best receiver is double covered, you've got to adjust. That didn't happen against Richlands. There is nothing wrong with always trying to improve and gain knowledge and sometimes that might come from bringing in an additional new person with a different perspective. I'm a Graham guy all the way but they'll be hard pressed to win state if they make it past semis. I'll remain optimistic they can take region. 

You still didn't answer my question...

WHO should Graham hire in order to make you happy????