Funny story related to VHSL playoff mistake

RichlandsAlum

It appears that at least one of the beneficiaries of the original mistake this weekend (let's call them "Team A") was quick to bring the error to the attention of the VHSL -- primarily because they had no desire to participate in the playoffs.  

Seriously.  When notified that they were scheduled to receive the 8th seed in the region (despite the fact that they won fewer than 3 games), they made a point to protest immediately.

The team that "benefited" from the correction (we'll call them "Team B") is now heading into the playoffs knowing full well that they don't really have any business competing at this level and that they are likely to get blasted by the #1 seed (which already happened during the regular season).

You can't make this stuff up.

This is almost the same scenario as Unaka last year in the TSSAA playoffs when they decided to forfeit their game, which promptly lead to the TSSAA banning them from all post season games for boys sports. Unaka appealed their decision and won it appeal. The only difference being that Unaka forfeited their game and the one in VHSL refused to be in the playoffs! These playoff systems are just crazy now. 

3 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

It appears that at least one of the beneficiaries of the original mistake this weekend (let's call them "Team A") was quick to bring the error to the attention of the VHSL -- primarily because they had no desire to participate in the playoffs.  

Seriously.  When notified that they were scheduled to receive the 8th seed in the region (despite the fact that they won fewer than 3 games), they made a point to protest immediately.

The team that "benefited" from the correction (we'll call them "Team B") is now heading into the playoffs knowing full well that they don't really have any business competing at this level and that they are likely to get blasted by the #1 seed (which already happened during the regular season).

You can't make this stuff up.

I'm a little crazy when it comes to playoff's because I think 1 should play 5; 2 play 6; 3 play 7; 4 play 8. Then the winner of 1&5 play the winner of 3 & 7; the winner of 2 & 6 play the winner of 4 & 8; the winner of those two games play each other.  I think it would make for much more interesting games, and give the lesser teams a chance to win at least one game.  I mean it just makes more sense to me, but VHSL never has done anything that makes sense.

3 hours ago, Blue 72 said:

I'm a little crazy when it comes to playoff's because I think 1 should play 5; 2 play 6; 3 play 7; 4 play 8. Then the winner of 1&5 play the winner of 3 & 7; the winner of 2 & 6 play the winner of 4 & 8; the winner of those two games play each other.  I think it would make for much more interesting games, and give the lesser teams a chance to win at least one game.  I mean it just makes more sense to me, but VHSL never has done anything that makes sense.

Yea give the #4 seed and easier game than the #1 seed which earned that during the regular season....brilliant idea haha

1 minute ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Yea give the #4 seed and easier game than the #1 seed which earned that during the regular season....brilliant idea haha

But in reality, a number one should cruse against a number 8, just as 2 should have no problem with a number 7.  At least in my suggestion there would be a chance for the lower seeds to have success.  So what you're saying is if you win all your regular season games you earn a gimme.  If you're number one you should have no problem beating the bottom four seeds, and if you screw up and loose to a number 8 it really makes your season feel lost.  Could happen Friday night.

7 minutes ago, Blue 72 said:

But in reality, a number one should cruse against a number 8, just as 2 should have no problem with a number 7.  At least in my suggestion there would be a chance for the lower seeds to have success.  So what you're saying is if you win all your regular season games you earn a gimme.  If you're number one you should have no problem beating the bottom four seeds, and if you screw up and loose to a number 8 it really makes your season feel lost.  Could happen Friday night.

That's exactly what I'm saying...if you are #1 seed you have EARNED the right to play the lowest seed...if you lose to an #8 seed then yes it's embarrassing

3 hours ago, Blue 72 said:

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. You show up for an entire season and have the best record you have earned an "easy" game in the first round. Look at the NCAAM basketball tourney. A 16 seed has NEVER beaten a 1 seed but there have been some nail biters. It is part of the fun of a tournament.