SWVA Sports Podcast - Episode 12

Ryan4VT

37 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

One mistake I found. Giles and Ft. Chiswell haven't played in over a decade. Floyd gave them their first loss and we gave Floyd their first loss lol 

Only have to bat 1.000 in heart surgery and being a pilot hahah.

Great job on the podcast! 

2 things; 

Maybe a little love for the VHS defense? ? With no help from the offense, kept Richlands to one of their lowest score totals of the season. Also kept Marion, Chilhowie, Tazewell, Lebanon, and JSB to some of their lowest point totals as well. Also 14 to Union while starters  played in benefit game, and one of Union's scores  started on our 4yd line after a turnover. Graham scored 45 but only had one offensive drive for a TD that started  on their side of the field. 3 turnovers gave them short fields, KR for a TD and a pick six. Very underrated defense in the region with a potential All-State LB.

VHS QB's name is spelled Lathrop but pronounced Laythrop 

Looking forward to next week's episode!

22 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

Great job on the podcast! 

2 things; 

Maybe a little love for the VHS defense? ? With no help from the offense, kept Richlands to one of their lowest score totals of the season. Also kept Marion, Chilhowie, Tazewell, Lebanon, and JSB to some of their lowest point totals as well. Also 14 to Union while starters  played in benefit game, and one of Union's scores  started on our 4yd line after a turnover. Graham scored 45 but only had one offensive drive for a TD that started  on their side of the field. 3 turnovers gave them short fields, KR for a TD and a pick six. Very underrated defense in the region with a potential All-State LB.

VHS QB's name is spelled Lathrop but pronounced Laythrop 

Looking forward to next week's episode!

That's true. I think it's because we were both just so excited that  we got in lol. I wish I could have seen the game. I've heard it was pretty good. And thanks for the help with Lathrop. I was just going phonetically. 

4 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

That's true. I think it's because we were both just so excited that  we got in lol. I wish I could have seen the game. I've heard it was pretty good. And thanks for the help with Lathrop. I was just going phonetically. 

I understand! Lol

Every PA announcer in the region makes the same mistake with Lathrop lol

1 minute ago, Bearcat Dad said:

I understand! Lol

Every PA announcer in the region makes the same mistake with Lathrop lol

We had a set of brothers who's last name was Fajardo. It's pronounced "fa-hard-oh". It was NEVER pronounced like that at a game lol. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

We had a set of brothers who's last name was Fajardo. It's pronounced "fa-hard-oh". It was NEVER pronounced like that at a game lol. 

Lol

One of our starting CBs is named Taurean Bizzel. It's  "tor-e-an biz-zel" but usually pronounced "tor-een bi-zzel" at away games lol

1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

I actually would have gotten that one right, somehow. 

Nice! You would definitely be in rare company. In 10 years of being around that kid while he's played baseball, football, and basketball, I can only think of one time that an announcer has gotten both his first and last name right on the first try lol

11 hours ago, Gil'sBlues said:

Great week guys enjoyed this one, really enjoyed the talk about ole altizer.

I haven't listened yet, but if it's Johnny Altizer you speak of, then I hope it was all negative.  Lol.  Can't stand that man!

On the subject of name mispronunciation, back when Haysi played in the High Country Classic basketball tournament in Boone, North Carolina in the early 2000's, their guy kept calling Jacob Colley, Jacoby Colby... 

20 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I haven't listened yet, but if it's Johnny Altizer you speak of, then I hope it was all negative.  Lol.  Can't stand that man!

On the subject of name mispronunciation, back when Haysi played in the High Country Classic basketball tournament in Boone, North Carolina in the early 2000's, their guy kept calling Jacob Colley, Jacoby Colby... 

No talking about coach Altizer the dB coach from Richlands which has done a hell of a job with a young inexperienced secondary this year. 

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

@Ryan4VT Was the comment about Justice not playing true, or was this another "white helmet"? 

Regardless, I do wish the young man the best!

1 hour ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

I couldn't help but think about the white helmets the entire time he was talking about Justice. ?

I was instructed by those above me to downplay any rumors of white helmets, even though I had already seen them. 

I have not been instructed by a higher power on Justice.