1997 PV-Appy article from BHC

sup_rbeast

18 minutes ago, redtiger said:

Excellent article and Phil proves again why he's the biggest jerk in SWVA 

There are bigger jerks, but Phil's gonna Phil. He always has to get his digs in. Whether he was right or wrong (he was technically right) he should not have made statements. 

Phil Robbin's is and has always been a smart a$$. I have 0 respect for him as a coach and a man. His talent was proven when Barry Jones left Powell valley. The kids would run through a wall for Barry and most of not all tolerated Phil at best.  Together they were one hell of a coaching staff but Phil's record without Barry (both prior to PV and after Barry left PV)  shows it.  Without Barry Phil lost one state title and never played for another at PV. Statements like he made there shows his true colors.  He's a dick 

14 minutes ago, PV2VT said:

Phil Robbin's is and has always been a smart a$$. I have 0 respect for him as a coach and a man. His talent was proven when Barry Jones left Powell valley. The kids would run through a wall for Barry and most of not all tolerated Phil at best.  Together they were one hell of a coaching staff but Phil's record without Barry (both prior to PV and after Barry left PV)  shows it.  Without Barry Phil lost one state title and never played for another at PV. Statements like he made there shows his true colors.  He's a dick 

No, you're the dick. If Barry was such a fantastic coach, why'd he never do shit as a HC? I'm not disputing his coaching ability on defense, but trying to discredit all Phil accomplished just because he prob sat your ass on the bench is sad. He may be a dick, but he's a dick that won 300 games and seven state titles. But I guess the level of talent dropping off, having tougher competition in the 2000s, and the fact that Phil is regarded as a truly innovative offensive mind means nothing. If you think all the players simply tolerated Phil, I'd be shocked if you even played for him. 

PHIL built up the feeder programs IN BSG that led to those teams. PHIL always made sure his team had great equipment and a great field. PHIL was one of if not the best coach in SWVA at making halftime adjustments. Barry Jones was a fanastic DC, but he couldn't have won seven titles without a fantastic HC backing him up and designing an offense. 

Barry has more rings than Phil. Barry has more of the people in BSG respect. Phil is an offensive genius I will give him that. Phil did make sure we had the best equipment and facilities at PV but Phil was and is a prick. I played 3 years starting two of those three. I gave my heart and soul for Powell Valley football all for a coach that at the end of each season would trash the senior class to the underclassmen. I started all but three or four games and played in every game my junior and senior year.  At the end of my sophomore year and junior year Phil met with the underclassmen for a talk. All he did was bash the seniors and tell us how we could step up more. I'm sure he did the same to the underclassmen after my last game.  Proof is in that article, Phil is a prick. 

37 minutes ago, PV2VT said:

Barry has more rings than Phil. Barry has more of the people in BSG respect. Phil is an offensive genius I will give him that. Phil did make sure we had the best equipment and facilities at PV but Phil was and is a prick. I played 3 years starting two of those three. I gave my heart and soul for Powell Valley football all for a coach that at the end of each season would trash the senior class to the underclassmen. I started all but three or four games and played in every game my junior and senior year.  At the end of my sophomore year and junior year Phil met with the underclassmen for a talk. All he did was bash the seniors and tell us how we could step up more. I'm sure he did the same to the underclassmen after my last game.  Proof is in that article, Phil is a prick. 

Phil has rings as a HEAD COACH. Does Barry have any of those?

You don't get why Phil gave those talks? To try and motivate the kids for next year. Phil loved all his players and would go to bat for anyone. He isn't as personable, but he did care about the kids. I played under Phil after Barry, and never once did he say anything malicious bout outgoing seniors, he was trying to motivate the next class to be better. 

If you truly care for young adults you do not trash them to there peers. That is not how to motivate. Look bro you have your opinion and I have mine. Phil does speak to people when he sees them out but fact is I and many others do not care for the man. Sorry if it ruffles your feathers but he's a prick. Only a prick would make a comment in a news paper like that. Only a prick would badmouth 18 year old young men to their peers. It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.  Again sorry it got ya all worked up

3 hours ago, BigWinners said:

No, you're the dick. If Barry was such a fantastic coach, why'd he never do shit as a HC? I'm not disputing his coaching ability on defense, but trying to discredit all Phil accomplished just because he prob sat your ass on the bench is sad. He may be a dick, but he's a dick that won 300 games and seven state titles. But I guess the level of talent dropping off, having tougher competition in the 2000s, and the fact that Phil is regarded as a truly innovative offensive mind means nothing. If you think all the players simply tolerated Phil, I'd be shocked if you even played for him. 

PHIL built up the feeder programs IN BSG that led to those teams. PHIL always made sure his team had great equipment and a great field. PHIL was one of if not the best coach in SWVA at making halftime adjustments. Barry Jones was a fanastic DC, but he couldn't have won seven titles without a fantastic HC backing him up and designing an offense. 

Actually, the feeder programs were already at a high level when Phil arrived...he actually names that as one of the reasons he took the job. But, you’re right...anyone who implies that Phil was only successful because of Coach Jones clearly lives in a dream world. Both were great coaches. Barry was a great motivator, Phil was great with game planning and preparation. Together, they are arguably the greatest tandem to coach on the same staff in SWVA (without argument the most decorated)...but separately, both were still excellent coaches. Contrary to claims in this thread, I never once in my years as a player heard Phil trash any of his players to other players. That claim sounds more to me like hurt feelings and sour grapes on behalf of the guy that posted it. I did however hear him on several occasions call out players who exhibited a lack of leadership or those whose actions provided a bad example for the younger players...as he should have. As far as the comment in the article goes, from a competitive standpont, that is the truth. We always wanted to beat Appy, but more times than not, that wasn’t a game we had any doubts about winning. In the eyes of Appy, PV was their biggest challenge and rival...but that wasn’t always the case in the eyes of the players at PV. It held true more amongst the older fans than it did with the younger folks who hadn’t seen Appy be consistantly competitive with PV over a span of several years. Maybe it’s not gracious to say that to the press, but that doesn’t make it any less true.

8 hours ago, BigWinners said:

but he couldn't have won seven titles without a fantastic HC backing him up and designing an offense. 

True, add to that, if P. Valley played in Div 3 where the belonged with Gate City and Graham and Giles and Radford in the same region, he also wouldn't have had all of those titles.  Those would be trimmed by a bunch, not to mention, the competition that awaited in the old Region 3 in the state semi final game with teams like Rustburg, Jefferson Forest, etc.

1 hour ago, TTownTigers said:

True, add to that, if P. Valley played in Div 3 where the belonged with Gate City and Graham and Giles and Radford in the same region, he also wouldn't have had all of those titles.  Those would be trimmed by a bunch, not to mention, the competition that awaited in the old Region 3 in the state semi final game with teams like Rustburg, Jefferson Forest, etc.

Oh brother. The tired “If PV had been D3 or GC in D2 then they wouldn’t have those titles.”

It may be true but to constantly hear it makes one wonder if there’s some sour grapes.

Phil is a jerk. He showed me he was one after smarting off to me at school one day about me and my family after seeing me defend him to bashers. But excellent coaches are not always the nicest and he was an excellent coach. If he wasn’t an excellent coach then PV would not have won 7 State Championships in addition to the one they got under Bolling in 82. Sure he had talent at PV. That is an ingredient to success. But talent alone without a coach to develop it and utilize it will only take a team so far. He found ways to win when there was a big talent drop off at PV. The loss of talent became apparent. 

1 hour ago, TTownTigers said:

Graham wouldn’t have won theirs in 1995 and Gate City wouldn’t have won theirs in 1997.  I don’t think Phil would have left as many on the table as y’all think...

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Graham wouldn’t have won theirs in 1995 and Gate City wouldn’t have won theirs in 1997.  I don’t think Phil would have left as many on the table as y’all think...

People underestimate many of the Championship PV teams that didn’t have a Jones.

5 hours ago, TTownTigers said:

PV was in correct enrollment. You're just hating. You should be glad PV was D2 or GC wouldn't have that title in 97.

Powell Valley was a great, great program, and I never wrote that Phil would have left the majority of those titles on the table.  I wrote the word some, as in about 1/3rd.  In 97, that Gate City team was lights out by seasons end, but we were beat all over the field by Jefferson Forest.  Many talk about the multiple OT game with Graham in Bluefield in 97 of which I couldn't go and was a classic, but I watched Jefferson Forest and we were fortunate, fortunate, and fortunate some more.  This was a classic.  They were a BETTER team than we were in my opinion.  If we play 10 times, they win 8 of 10.  No discredit to the Gate, we got the W with the famous knuckler over the goal post, and on to win the title the next game, but Jefferson Forest would have beat Powell Valley in the playoffs.  We can debate it forever yes or no.  There's no point, but my point is, forget about just Gate City and Graham.  Many fell to realize you had to go through a Giles and Radford at one point in the same region, but again, forget about all 4 of these schools, it's what lies ahead in that former Region C which was a beast with teams like J. Forest, Rustburg, Martinsville, Liberty, etc, and if you win that one, you don't get to play Central of Lunenburg or Madison County, you get to play a Nottoway, Southampton, Tabb (yes, Tabb was AA and in Gate City and Graham's level before the 6 Divisions were introduced in the mid 80's).  This is the point that P. Valley fans fell to mention, and it's not even on purpose, they simply weren't aware of the caliber of some of these teams Outside of the old Region 4.  

Many constantly go to the "Jones Brothers".  These teams were fantastic.  I'm referring more to the 80's, for example, Powell Valley's first title in 82.  They would have been beat by 28 points against Tabb, or Courtland, or Martinsville that year.  It would have been no contest.  In 1985, P. Valley's second title.  Both Giles and Blacksburg would have wiped the field with Powell Valley, and again, so would have Tabb and so would have Courtland.  In 89, Graham would have crushed Powell Valley, they wouldn't have had to worry about advancing outside of the Region that year.  Those 3 state titles for Powell Valley would have been null and void and simply wouldn't have been titles.  In the 90's, I don't argue regarding the Jones Brothers, but I still believe one of those teams would have been beat on one of those years against a team like Jefferson Forest or Rustburg in Region C.  I think that's definitely true for Powell Valley's last state title.