Union vs. Marion

trumpet1988

Bears roll! Marion is a solid team but Bullit Park is a harsh environment and the Bears will take care of business at home.  That was proven last night when the very best 8 seed team you'll ever see came to Bullit Park.  I don't think Marion has ever been there (as far back as I can remember late 80s early 90s) but if they have it has been decades. Be prepared for Union to win big this week! 

9 minutes ago, PV2VT said:

Bears roll! Marion is a solid team but Bullit Park is a harsh environment and the Bears will take care of business at home.  That was proven last night when the very best 8 seed team you'll ever see came to Bullit Park.  I don't think Marion has ever been there (as far back as I can remember late 80s early 90s) but if they have it has been decades. Be prepared for Union to win big this week! 

We came there in 2013 and lost  21-14. That’s the only time I can remember we played over there.

I'm not so sure Richlands is better up front than Marion. As a matter of fact, I think Marion is the best team up front that Union has played until this point. The dude at Marion may also be the best coach in SWVA AA ball. I'm not saying he's the absolute best, but he's up there among the best. Marion is a very well coached football team. 

pass or rush, Union has a solid d.  They may let some big pass plays get by them from time to time but they also snap their fair share ints as well.  It is also hard to pass against them when the from 7 is in the backfeild more often than not. Plus this is highschool ball so I don't expect any team around here to have a d that is 100 percent shutdown on passing

1 hour ago, Canes00 said:

I know Union is tough against the run but what about the pass defense?

It's the obvious weaker unit. The scheme has slower LBs having to defend slot WRs and if a team spreads field, Union has no over the top safety. Hamilton is such a good ball player but his size can hurt him. Jenkins isn't experienced, but has awesome speed and good hands. Qualls can sometimes get beat but has talent to make great plays. 

Mitchell can cover a lot of weaknesses but can't be everywhere. Union also always presses man on the outside for some reason. Why? Who knows. Having our DBs play two yards back gives them more help. If they slant inside, the linebackers are usually in area. 

The pass rush is very good, if the QB isn't mobile you have to rely on short passes and screens. But with a good line and mobile QB, the back seven can give up plays. If Union does beat Marion (60/40), the scheme will HAVE to change. We gotta bring in another DB and take out a LB or Graham scores 50.

8 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I would be surprised if Grayson comes close to beating Graham but I'm biased. 

Graham is the obvious favorite over Grayson. But so was Galax. Wasn’t Ridgeview also?  People are right. It may be time to show Grayson some respect.

However:

I think Graham and Union beat Grayson and Marion respectively to set up for a nice showdown at the Park during Thanksgiving Break. 

48 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

No team has held Union under 13 points, that would surprise me.

I don't think Marion will hold Union to 7 points but I wouldn't expect them to score more than 21 that being said scoring 21 may very well be enough to win this one