Union vs. Marion

trumpet1988

Marion really impressed me 2 weeks ago. They're not flashy but very fundamentally sound. Ford is one of the better RB's I've seen in the last few years...He just won't go down. 

I don't think Marion will win but I believe they can and hope they will. Canes 24-21

2 hours ago, EH31 said:

Marion really impressed me 2 weeks ago. They're not flashy but very fundamentally sound. Ford is one of the better RB's I've seen in the last few years...He just won't go down. 

I don't think Marion will win but I believe they can and hope they will. Canes 24-21

I also think Marion can win.  These two are very close.  There's not a lot of difference between Richlands, Marion and Union.  All these games against each other were very close.

2 hours ago, blueinbama said:

These two are very close.  There's not a lot of difference between Richlands, Marion and Union.  All these games against each other were very close.

I agree, and I believe homefield for Union seals the deal 

4 hours ago, Canes00 said:

I don't think Marion will hold Union to 7 points but I wouldn't expect them to score more than 21 that being said scoring 21 may very well be enough to win this one

I predicted a 20-13 Union win, super tight game. 

I gave you my detailed breakdown on Unions D, where's yours on Marion? lol

15 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Marion pass defense is the weakness but they had a good week against the bearcats. The front 7 is good and can get after the QB and I've told other Canes fans all year a team that can throw the ball consistently all game will be this teams downfall. Virginia High 2 weeks ago had 2 big pass plays other than that they didn't do much. 

17 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

The front seven is stellar. They run a base 3-4, but they haven't seen a team running a T this year, so that may change. Big aggressive linemen with deceptive speed, and some of the most disciplined backers you'll see. The safety unit is also dang near perfect. #11 Hall (ILB - mike, I believe) and #15 Ford (free safety) are the defensive leaders. The weak point of the defense is the corners, who don't have the best depth in the world, although they have looked better in recent weeks. There have points where Marion didn't shift out of the 3-4, even against four wide sets, presumably because putting a nickel on the field weakens the coverage. Historically, Marion has played a lot of man, but we've seen more zone late in the season as they've gone up against more talented receivers. The pass-d is improving, but it's still the weaker point of the defense.

If Union opens up the offense they could win by a pretty decent margin IMO. Qualls is very capable when given a chance. But if we stick to the wildcat then I think it'll be a closer game. My prediction reflects that scenario. 

Union - 20

Marion - 13

Man it sounds like it's totally strength v strength again this week. Unions bread and butter is the run game and that's where Marion is strong on D. Union hasn't faced a lot of three man fronts, which could either allow the Union inside run game to have success or the Canes D to fly faster to the ball. 

The offensive attack for Bears MUST MUST be more versatile this week. We've shown we can throw screens, slants, posts, double moves, etc.. as well as attacking the edges in the run game. For some reason Union did very little of that last week. If Union can get the athletes in space and hold up at LOS, believe Bears win. If Canes control LOS and bottle up run game, Marion has enough talent to win. 

58 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

If Union opens up the offense they could win by a pretty decent margin IMO. Qualls is very capable when given a chance. But if we stick to the wildcat then I think it'll be a closer game. My prediction reflects that scenario. 

Union - 20

Marion - 13

I disagree. I believe the T makes Union predictable and limits Mitchell. I do believe we need to attack more on offense and throw more, but James has a good arm. More edge rushes, more PA passes and spreading the field. But the T, I'm not a fan unless it's grinding clock.

4 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I disagree. I believe the T makes Union predictable and limits Mitchell. I do believe we need to attack more on offense and throw more, but James has a good arm. More edge rushes, more PA passes and spreading the field. But the T, I'm not a fan unless it's grinding clock.

I'm not suggesting the T. I'm saying we go with the offense we started the year with. Qualls was a quarterback up until he came to Union. He can make most of the reads in our shotgun passing game. If nothing else, he can throw screens to mitchell and Collins. As for James throwing it, yes he has an arm And he can throw the long ball, but we're limited on most other passes. 

2 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

I'm not suggesting the T. I'm saying we go with the offense we started the year with. Qualls was a quarterback up until he came to Union. He can make most of the reads in our shotgun passing game. If nothing else, he can throw screens to mitchell and Collins. As for James throwing it, yes he has an arm And he can throw the long ball, but we're limited on most other passes. 

Against stiff competition, I'd rather Mitchell touch it 40 times opposed to 20. 

Just now, Unionguy_2017 said:

I gotcha, I get that. I'm not saying we go to the shotgun with Qualls primarily, but just enough to eliminate defenses from just attacking our backfield. 

I wouldn't be opposed with having Qualls play QB 20 snaps, I think we have to open up the offense or Marion will win. But, I think the T shouldn't be used until it's time to run out the clock. The line blocks better in the gun, the RBs can see better and we can attack more ways. I'm fine with Qualls at QB with Mitchell motioning inside to run or be a decoy.

I believe Jenkins has to be a factor as well. I know he has issues w ball seceuity but he's too damn good to just not use. Throw him some screens in space.

5 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

You all need to hold onto Collins as long as you possibly can.  Man can coach and is building a nice program there.

It's really odd, because this is something you normally say about players rather than coaches, but it's been fun watching Carroll grow as a coach over the past few years. If you'd have told most folks after Carroll's first season in 2011 that this is where Marion's team would be, I doubt that many people who would've believed you. Talent comes and goes, but having teams that are as fundamentally sound as they are is a reflection of the coaching, and it's all that much more incredible when you consider that looking at a team picture, the coaches are so young that they blend in with the players. There are several assistant coaches at Marion who have very bright futures ahead of them. 

Regardless, like most folks, I was slow on the bandwagon ("jeez, a young coach who wants to install the spread, before it was cool, at a school that has run the wing-t, straight-t, and wishbone for 40 years"), but I'm drinking the kool-aid. There's no one I'd rather have as head coach at Marion than Joey Carroll.

I think it's Union by 10-14 points.  Union 24, Marion 10 or 14ish.  Union is solid up front, and the FBSer in Mitchell accounts for 10 pts, be it a kick off return, long rushing touchdown, or pick six, or a QB hurry up causing a fumble and pick 6, as of right now, it's 10-0 Union with Mitchell and playing at BSG before the game even starts.   I don't think it's a blowout, but I think it's something resembling the Union vs Richlands first matchup in regular season in which Union doesn't blow them out by any means, but they control the game from start to finish and it's never in doubt.  The major concern with Union in my opinion....and I know, some of you Union fans don't want to hear it because I'm a Gate City guy, but........Travis is a bit conservative offensively.  His primary learning sources were legendary Turner style football at Appy and Beamer style offense at Tech.  Back in the day, those worked by the way and both were awesome.  But, I still think Turner needs to turn the dogs lose offensively.  Open up the offense, it's 2017 and you have better talent than most.  With that written, before some of you old P. Valley folks respond, I'm saying Turner is not just good, but among the top 3 coaches from Pearisburg, VA to the TN/Kentucky border in Virginia, but.......he has still an area where he can improve (like all coaches and people), and the area of concern with Union in my opinion is the downfield passing game.  I'm not talking about the pass that comes when Union is up 14-0 from running the ball and everyone is in the box and Mitchell throws the ball to a WR that is wide open when 9 guys are in the box stopping the run.  I'm talking about on 3rd and 7 when you have to throw and the defense knows it.  That downfield passing game or lack of it is concerning. It was enough to keep Richlands in the football game a couple of days ago.

5 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

It's really odd, because this is something you normally say about players rather than coaches, but it's been fun watching Carroll grow as a coach over the past few years. If you'd have told most folks after Carroll's first season in 2011 that this is where Marion's team would be, I doubt that many people who would've believed you. Talent comes and goes, but having teams that are as fundamentally sound as they are is a reflection of the coaching, and it's all that much more incredible when you consider that looking at a team picture, the coaches are so young that they blend in with the players. There are several assistant coaches at Marion who have very bright futures ahead of them. 

Regardless, like most folks, I was slow on the bandwagon ("jeez, a young coach who wants to install the spread, before it was cool, at a school that has run the wing-t, straight-t, and wishbone for 40 years"), but I'm drinking the kool-aid. There's no one I'd rather have as head coach at Marion than Joey Carroll.

My bad, Carroll.  Right first letter, wrong surname.