Giles vs Appomattox

nrv_football

1 hour ago, SWVAgridiron said:

The train horn will be going to Bragg Stadium. That'll piss off some people over on VAPreps if they catch wind of it lol

Some of em lurk around here so the cats probably already out of the bag. I personally Can't wait for them to find out ?

20 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

The train horn will be going to Bragg Stadium. That'll piss off some people over on VAPreps if they catch wind of it lol

19 hours ago, EH31 said:

Some of em lurk around here so the cats probably already out of the bag. I personally Can't wait for them to find out ?

Rumors of the horn have officially landed on preps. LOL

2 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Rumors of the horn have officially landed on preps. LOL

If the coaches and players are as concerned with the horn as the VAPreps community seems to be, Appo might want to inflate the basketballs for Monday.

7 minutes ago, sixcat said:

If the coaches and players are as concerned with the horn as the VAPreps community seems to be, Appo might want to inflate the basketballs for Monday.

For real. You would think that horn had pillaged and plundered their village, kissed their wives, and took their dogs.

23 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

For real. You would think that horn had pillaged and plundered their village, kissed their wives, and took their dogs.

It’s funny because they have one, too. 

17 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Yes they do. And when Giles went there last season Terry followed the rules set forth by the principle. And that was that we couldn't blow it anytime Appo had the ball. We never did. We blew it when we made big plays on offense and once we had the momentum after Appo fumbled the kickoff return the cops came over there and shut it down.

17 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Things are just different out that way I guess. If I understand correctly their bands don't even go to local away games, so anything that a visiting team brings in is viewed as disrespectful. Just not the same HS football culture as it is here.

9 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Things are just different out that way I guess. If I understand correctly their bands don't even go to local away games, so anything that a visiting team brings in is viewed as disrespectful. Just not the same HS football culture as it is here.

Band does not travel because of money. The culture may be different but everybody knows Appo is fully supported by the fans and we travel very well. 

Just now, oldfool said:

Band does not travel because of money. The culture may be different but everybody knows Appo is fully supported by the fans and we travel very well. 

And I didn't mean that as an insult. Just pointing out that it's different. It's been that way as long as I can remember. Not specifically referring to Appo, but any area east of SWVA in general.

Clarke Co people were amazed because our band traveled 5.5 hours to support our team when their own didn't show up. The support and packed stands that you have seen at Appo the last 2 years is what we have seen for 50 + here, even in down years. A 4-6 Richlands team packed out the 1000 seat visitor stands last week where the temp was in the 20s by game's end. Would Appo's fans do that if they were 4-6 and not expected to win?

There was a game in 1968 between the Appalachia Bulldogs and Gate City Blue Devils that had 10-12,000 spectators (depending on which article you read). I have several family members that attended or played in that game. People had climbed to the roof of the school to watch the game because there was no place left to sit or even stand. People are CRAZY about HS football here.

Gate City, Richlands, and Lee High have all brought their inflatables to Union's field. I remember a few times when Lee brought their horse and train horn.

I understand why Appo doesn't want the train horn. Different culture. But we, here in SWVA, find it amusing. Different culture. Nothing wrong with that. Just different.

5 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

And I didn't mean that as an insult. Just pointing out that it's different. It's been that way as long as I can remember. Not specifically referring to Appo, but any area east of SWVA in general.

Clarke Co people were amazed because our band traveled 5.5 hours to support our team when their own didn't show up. The support and packed stands that you have seen at Appo the last 2 years is what we have seen for 50 + here, even in down years. A 4-6 Richlands team packed out the 1000 seat visitor stands last week where the temp was in the 20s by game's end. Would Appo's fans do that if they were 4-6 and not expected to win?

There was a game in 1968 between the Appalachia Bulldogs and Gate City Blue Devils that had 10-12,000 spectators (depending on which article you read). I have several family members that attended or played in that game. People had climbed to the roof of the school to watch the game because there was no place left to sit or even stand. People are CRAZY about HS football here.

Gate City, Richlands, and Lee High have all brought their inflatables to Union's field. I remember a few times when Lee brought their horse and train horn.

I understand why Appo doesn't want the train horn. Different culture. But we, here in SWVA, find it amusing. Different culture. Nothing wrong with that. Just different.

Back in my day at E C Glass we totally packed lynchburg city stadium.

I can remember in the 2004 D2 State Championship, Manassas Park had a 2 hour drive to JMU. They did not bring many fans. They did bring their Band who had about 30 people. 

Powell Valley brought a lot more with a 5 hour drive. They brought 80-85 members of the band. We had to go to the game. It coincided with All District tryouts at John Battle. One charter bus brought half the Band straight to JMU. The other stopped at John Battle. We got to audition first and head to JMU immediately after all of us were finished. Got there just in time to warm up the Band and march to the stands. 

That is another example of the dedication of fan support here. 

30 minutes ago, trumpet1988 said:

I can remember in the 2004 D2 State Championship, Manassas Park had a 2 hour drive to JMU. They did not bring many fans. They did bring their Band who had about 30 people. 

Powell Valley brought a lot more with a 5 hour drive. They brought 80-85 members of the band. We had to go to the game. It coincided with All District tryouts at John Battle. One charter bus brought half the Band straight to JMU. The other stopped at John Battle. We got to audition first and head to JMU immediately after all of us were finished. Got there just in time to warm up the Band and march to the stands. 

Now only if some bands knew not to play when your team is under center lol. I wish that was taught more. Don't make it harder on your team.

2 hours ago, trumpet1988 said:

I did that once. My sophomore year and junior year, they allowe us Richlands band members to go first at All-Districy auditions. Then we got on the charter and drive to Lynchburg. I only did it once, though (sophomore year). My junior year there was no guarantee we’d make the game in time since we had the early kick. 

My senior year, the district decided to vote to no longer allow band members whose team was in a state title game to audition first. It sucked, because it was either state or audition. I chose state, obviously. But I always felt like I was robbed of my shot as a senior. 

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

I did that once. My sophomore year and junior year, they allowe us Richlands band members to go first at All-Districy auditions. Then we got on the charter and drive to Lynchburg. I only did it once, though (sophomore year). My junior year there was no guarantee we’d make the game in time since we had the early kick. 

My senior year, the district decided to vote to no longer allow band members whose team was in a state title game to audition first. It sucked, because it was either state or audition. I chose state, obviously. But I always felt like I was robbed of my shot as a senior. 

Why would they make that decision? It seems like they were just being dicks.

2 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Why would they make that decision? It seems like they were just being dicks.

Richlands was one of the top tier bands and, much like the football team, they weren't seen favorably in the band community for the most part. So I still believe they did it to punish Richlands for not only being good in football, but also being the premier band this side of Blacksburg in the 2000s. 

7 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Richlands was one of the top tier bands and, much like the football team, they weren't seen favorably in the band community for the most part. So I still believe they did it to punish Richlands for not only being good in football, but also being the premier band this side of Blacksburg in the 2000s. 

And that was at a time when Richlands’ numbers averaged 100 or more. Richlands has always had quite a few audition and make it. 

I never had a problem with Richlands’ Band or their band director at the time, which is why I was shocked when he got in trouble because I never would have suspected something like that. Long story there. 

I always felt that if you deserved to be placed in the All District Band (symphonic or concert) then your audition would show it. Whether you auditioned first or last.