Region 2D Championship: Graham @ Union

Deleted Account

Stats per BHC for Graham and Union games:

Graham                                     Union

First downs                      17                                             15

Rushes-Yds                   29-193                                    40-289

Passing Yds                   207                                            0

C-A-I                           11-20-2                                       0-0-0

Fumbles-Lost                 0-0                                            0-0

Penalties-Yds              9-110                                         4-45

Punts-Avg                     1-27                                          1-29

Scoring- Graham

Allen  -  4 run (Curto kick)

Cooke - 15 pass from Allen (kicked blocked)

Allen   -  38 INT (Curto kick)

Lester  -  18 run (Curto kick)

Justice -  23 pass from Allen (Curto kick)

Lester  -  29 pass from Allen (Curto kick)

Justice -  13 pass from Allen (Dales kick)

Scoring Union

Zirkle -    4 run (Falin kick)

Zirkle -    3 run (Falin kick)

Owens -  85 k/o return (Falin kick)

Owens -   7 run (Falin kick)

Owens -   3 run (Falin kick)

Jenkins - 39 run (Falin kick)

Owens -  15 run (Falin kick)

28 minutes ago, PV2VT said:

Letcher Co qb is just as good.

Marion's qb is right behind grahams qb. 

John battles qb had probably one of the best set of legs for scrambling in region d.. 

I haven't seen Letchers QB but you're wrong on your other two statements. I don't hold that against you because I know you haven't watched Cam Allen because if you have you wouldn't compare Marion's QB to him. And Battles QB is good but, again, not on Allen's level when it comes to throwing the ball and definitely a step behind when it comes to scrambling as speed. 

I would agree mostly with everything else you've said. Control the ball and shut Graham's offense down and you win. That seems obvious. A few teams have controlled the ball against them already but other than Bluefield there hasn't been a team to shut down their big play ability. 

20 minutes ago, BearDawg said:

Richlands also took y’all to OT. Held y’all to 13 through regulation too correct?  Sounds like tit for tat when comparing Richlands. Plus Richlands had the benefit of facing us every year and twice this year. 

Yeah they did.. but that was kind of my point. Richlands controlled the ball for the most part and held Grahams offense in check for most of the game and Graham pulled it out in overtime. They did the same thing in overtime vs Giles. I wasn't saying because they beat Richlands they should beat Union.. I'm saying that Graham has been Battle tested for games like this. 

I haven't seen him in person but I do know that from what I've heard Marions qb is the next best in region d. It has the making to be a good ball game,  but I promise Graham won't score every drive and Union will control the game clock. A methodical offense and a smashmouth d is key to beating Graham. Union has both of those. Not to mention unions key running backs. If you key on Mitchell then u free up zirkle, ownes, Jenkins and others to crank out yards and scores.  Get ready to see the best two teams in region d play. I'm telling us this much though Bullit Park magic and this union teams heart equals a win. 

34 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

Allen will definetly be the best QB we've played. I've seen him in person and can verify that. And it's not even close to be honest. 

That was my thoughts too.. but I don't think people were going to take my word for it. Thanks for backing that up. 

It's amazing to see the progression that Allen has made from game one until now. There were many that questioned who the starter should be, especially after the Bluefied loss and after Lester started and played well at QB when Allen was hurt two games. Since coming back from the sprained ankle Allen has literally put Graham on his back every week. Everyone knows about Cooke and how good he is but Cam has taken over the games lately. He's the only reason Graham pulled it out against Richlands. Richlands limited Cooke and Lester but they couldn't stop Allen. The next week he accounted for 7 touchdowns against Fort Chiswell. Last night he threw 4 touchdowns, ran for 1, and had a pick6 on defense. He's an awesome athlete. If union wants to win then you need to dedicate the defense to stopping Allen more so than Cooke. 

4 minutes ago, PV2VT said:

I haven't seen him in person but I do know that from what I've heard Marions qb is the next best in region d. 

I literally haven't heard that Marion's QB was the best in the region 1 time all season. Hell they subbed him out for the backup the 3rd series against Graham lol 

if you don't believe me then read the quote below 

42 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

Allen will definetly be the best QB we've played. I've seen him in person and can verify that. And it's not even close to be honest. 

6 minutes ago, PV2VT said:

I haven't seen him in person but I do know that from what I've heard Marions qb is the next best in region d. It has the making to be a good ball game,  but I promise Graham won't score every drive and Union will control the game clock. A methodical offense and a smashmouth d is key to beating Graham. Union has both of those. Not to mention unions key running backs. If you key on Mitchell then u free up zirkle, ownes, Jenkins and others to crank out yards and scores.  Get ready to see the best two teams in region d play. I'm telling us this much though Bullit Park magic and this union teams heart equals a win. 

Sounds like it's time to piss on the fire and call in the dogs cause this hunt is over. Tazewell county save yourselves some money and don't even bother sending Graham to BSG. 

1 hour ago, PV2VT said:

That is going to be the challenge for Graham as well.  Union will be bringing three to four different kids that can run the ball very well.  Union on the other hand has faced teams with talent on offense almost (and I say almost because they were almost) as good as Graham and shut them down.  Defense wins championships and Union can control the clock keeping Grahams o on the sidelines and Union can stop Graham more often than they will be able to score.  Union will win but Graham will give em a good game. 

Graham actually has had a few long drives lately which controlled the clock.that being said they can come at you in many different ways. And just looking at stats from unions last game they did not pass at all. I am nit saying we will win but it will not be a easy game for union to defend.

1 hour ago, PV2VT said:

That is going to be the challenge for Graham as well.  Union will be bringing three to four different kids that can run the ball very well.  Union on the other hand has faced teams with talent on offense almost (and I say almost because they were almost) as good as Graham and shut them down.  Defense wins championships and Union can control the clock keeping Grahams o on the sidelines and Union can stop Graham more often than they will be able to score.  Union will win but Graham will give em a good game. 

But will those 3 or 4 runners be in the game at the same time like graham having4 receivers in at the same time to stop.

Let’s look at last night...Union ran at Ford all night while he was on defense, I believe they will run at Allen all night, they may not gain a yard but he will be worn down by playing both ways . I have only seen the highlights and he is by far the best QB this side of Appomattox, I also see Cook having to make tackles on D , 6-7-8 min drives for Union , full house straight t, old school smash mouth football , 4 yards and a little blood, no passing unless you load the box then it’s a bomb

2 minutes ago, ghs73 said:

But will those 3 or 4 runners be in the game at the same time like graham having4 receivers in at the same time to stop.

Yes, Mitchell at QB , Owens at a slot, Jenkins at a slot , and Zirkle at tailback, 

2 minutes ago, ghs73 said:

Yes sir. And any can run it from a base formation. The thing is, Cooke doesn’t seem to like contact on offense. Goes out of bounds a lot. I’m not bashing him. Dandy of a ball player. Do not twist my words please. My question is, can he handle getting snakes in the mouth?  A lot?  All of our backs, even the smallest one, will lower the boom on people. 

And our Front seven has been fantastic this year. But our LB’s have been rock solid as well. They like to hit and track the play very well. Great disciplined corps. People say we don’t cover the pass well. Sure we have gave up some yardage. Who doesn’t. But we also only give up 10.5 PPG. Motown West had a fast defense. Couldn’t handle the pounding they got every play. We are a Turner coached team. Smash mouth is a way of life. If graham can’t with stand the hits, it’ll be a tough night. But if they go toe to toe, could have a great game. I still think Union comes out on top. 

I think Union will win because they have a better team. But don't get me wrong, Cooke, Allen, Lester and all of those boys are going to be ready to go. They are all studs. Graham guys, please don't take this as a shot because it's not. I just don't think that Cooke, Allen, and Lester are better Than Mitchell, Jenkins and Owens. They may be equally matched, but I don't think the G-men are overall better. Add that with Union front 7 and I think Union has a bit of an advantage. 

The QB from Letcher was by far the best passing QB Union has seen this year. The kid could throw it 50 yards and put it right in the hands of his receiver. He was the best scrambling QB also. That was all in the first half. Adjustments were made and he wasn't a factor at all in the 2nd half.

Battle's QB was the best running QB we've seen. Marion's QB looked great in warm-ups, but was a non-factor in the game.

According to Battle's coach, they didn't have any trouble moving the ball on Graham, but turnovers killed them.

Have only seen video of Graham. Obviously, they have lots of athletes and speed. Hard to judge that speed from film. Union is in for a tough game. They HAVE to control the line and conduct time consuming drives to win. They CAN'T allow Graham to get 2 or 3 scores ahead. We're simply not built for comebacks unless we miraculously find a passing game. 

We will need to pressure Allen without giving him lanes to escape the pocket.

Going to be a fun game, and I really think the pressure is on Graham more than Union. Not sure how many of Graham's current team came to BSG in 2015, but I remember this quote from Palmer in the BDT..

“We play in the Bluefield and Graham game so they can’t bring nothing that we haven’t seen before as far as a crowd goes,” Graham head coach Tony Palmer said. “We could care less about what their crowd is going to be like, we are just concerned with what happens on the field...

But after some communication issues, false starts and time outs the environment did make a difference. Maybe not in the outcome of the game per se, but it did on some plays. Maybe those plays turn out to be key plays and then affect the outcome. Just hope The Park is as lively on a Sat afternoon as it is on Friday night.

1 hour ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

Will someone save me a seat for the big showdown??

2 hours ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

Kudos to Palmer for sticking it out with Allen when he was criticized early on , Cam Allen has just gotten better all season. Union does worry me. If their offense controls ball and our defense is out there a majority of time like the regular season game Union had with Richlands, it won't be good for us.