Region 2D Championship: Graham @ Union

Deleted Account

9 minutes ago, ghs73 said:

I was talking about running the ball.only one at a time can run the ball

Only one can throw and catch the ball at a time too. However, Graham and Union both can't focus on just one player or formation. Lot's of play makers for both teams to defend. That's what makes this a great matchup!

I'm not a t formation fan all.  I've always believed in the I formation but union is running the t/wildcat better and better each game.  Since week 2 we haven't passed the ball much at all and every team has stacked the box with 8 or more and we have handled each and every one of them with our multiple play makers. I promise u Graham is the only team in region d that can give us a good game but Union is tougher than anyone wants to admit.  That guy behind me last night from central VA was bad mouthing us at the start of the game and by the end he was staying that union is by far the best team he had seen this year and has the best shot to win state of any team in swva.  In my humble opinion region d will win state. Graham may win Saturday but I promise the bears will be the best team they will face this season

JFC

One-Allen will be the best QB Union has seen. Full stop. The kid from Battle had some success scrambling, I'm worried what Allen might do with Union having to command so many resources to stopping other athletes.  (Except maybe throwing the deep ball, that kid from LCC was dropping dimes but that's a 0-10 team. I'll give the QB on the 11-1, #2 team the edge on that alone)

Two-All this "Union and three yards cloud of dust harrumph, all we gotta do!", Have you people watched Union play? Very few drives are not broken open by a 30-40 yard rush. That's a POSITIVE. Don't hide from it. We likely won't outrun Graham for 80 yard TDs, but I'll take a drive that has four 20 yd runs with a TD at the end. If Union comes out in the T and tries to just go up the gut for four yards a play, we will lose. Simple. Graham will get a couple stops, score once or twice, have Union behind the 8-ball and Union loses all game control. Gotta attack, be dynamic, score points. Call those counter plays that seemed to average 40ypc last night, but don't abandon the jet sweep. 

Three-I can't see a 21-14 game. These offenses are just too good. If Graham can't hold up at the LOS on defense, Union will get points. Probably 28 at least. If Union can't contain Allen and Cooke or Lester get loose, Graham will get points. Probably 28 at least. 

I have a couple huge red flags that I'm not even gonna post bc they worry me so much with Graham's speed. It's not about any single Union player, it's about a unit that gave up big plays CONSISTENTLY all year long. 

Itsounds like I'm trashing someone if I don't post it. It's the kickoff unit. Gotta do something there or Graham could get points there. 

If you're gonna discount Union being held to 13 by RHS because of "rivalry game" or whatever, don't then mention RHS holding Graham in check. Those two teams aren't rivals?? RHS got to play Union twice, that helps a ton. 

But it's not RHS-GHS that gives me most hope, it's Giles-GHS. Union can take cues from how Giles was able to fight back despite being behind big and almost win. Union is better in almost all areas than Giles IMO, so that gives me hope while other games (Graham-FC scares me to death) worry me. 

I'll take Union 34-32 

8 minutes ago, BearDawg said:

Marion definitely did NOT like the T. Struggled to handle it all night. Look for a good dose of it Saturday as well. 

That's not true at all. Union only went to the T inside the 10 yard line. The OL was pushing Marion around out of shotgun with the counters and sweeps.

14 minutes ago, PV2VT said:

I'm not a t formation fan all.  I've always believed in the I formation but union is running the t/wildcat better and better each game.  Since week 2 we haven't passed the ball much at all and every team has stacked the box with 8 or more and we have handled each and every one of them with our multiple play makers. I promise u Graham is the only team in region d that can give us a good game but Union is tougher than anyone wants to admit.  That guy behind me last night from central VA was bad mouthing us at the start of the game and by the end he was staying that union is by far the best team he had seen this year and has the best shot to win state of any team in swva.  In my humble opinion region d will win state. Graham may win Saturday but I promise the bears will be the best team they will face this season

So you said, " I promise you Graham is the only team in region d that can give us a good game." Are you then saying Richlands didn't give you a good game? That is the dumbest statement I've ever heard. Take two weeks off this board then quit  

1 hour ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

I don't know about a seat, those are pretty hard to come by. You're more than welcome to join us by the fire pit though. 

That sounds good ! The bears made a statement on Marion! I must have made them mad!?? with my rhetoric remarks. You guys may want me to turn up the heat on the bears when Appomattox comes to town!!

10 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

That's not true at all. Union only went to the T inside the 10 yard line. The OL was pushing Marion around out of shotgun with the counters and sweeps.

Later in the game we went heavy T. Owens scored his 4th td. We were in T from about the 25-30 but I was at the far end. Only point I meant was they seemed out of sorts and had only one stop defensively while we were in the T. Wasn’t advocating coming out in it all game. No sir haha. 

4 minutes ago, T52OS said:

That sounds good ! The bears made a statement on Marion! I must have made them mad!?? with my rhetoric remarks. You guys may want me to turn up the heat on the bears when Appomattox comes to town!!

We aren't worried about Appomattox right now. Right now Graham is our focus. We have to get by them before we worry about who we play next. And getting by Graham will not be easy in any shape or form but Union will be ready to play ball and I know Graham will be ready too.

5 hours ago, PV2VT said:

That has been said every week.  Union hasn't seen an o like we have.  Union can't defend the pass. Union isn't ready for our running back.  Union can't keep up with our speed.  Don't get me wrong, Graham is a very balanced team but Union has faced a running back just as good (Ford from Marion)  and a QB just as good (Letcher Co kid,  John Battle kid,  Marion kid) all of whom we have kept out of the end zone and intercepted. Union is battle tested just like Graham.  The difference is Unions defense. I sat at the game last night and a man behind me was talking with his wife.  He was throwing out coaching terms and so on in a central VA accent, figured he was scouting the game for someone from regions a or b.  Either way,  he said that Unions defense is by far the best he has seen anywhere in 2A. He was truly impressed with how we contained Marion's backs.  By the third quarter he was saying watch Marion start passing and get back in the game.  Union had a pick and plenty of hurries causing incompletions and a sack or two.  By the fourth quarter he told his buddy "this may be unions year to win.  I did not expect to such a dominate game.  I thought Marion would have kept it close". Union has faced an o like Graham but it's been over three or four different teams,  never all together on one team but I promise Graham hasn't faced a d like union. 

That’s a Hell of a lot to read into one comment, don’t ya think?!  But I’ll play your little game.

Tell me the one offense Union has defended which compare to Graham.  You can’t.  For all your defensive prowess, which is legitimate, you have played some pathetic offensive teams.  Marion is probably the best you’ve played...and they ain’t Graham.  As for defenses, Graham has played Richlands and Bluefield, which have comparable defenses to that which Union has (Richlands held you to 29 points over 2 games and almost ended your season, if you recall).  Giles isn’t a slouch either.  

It’s going to be the game of the year in SWVA.  Union may indeed win it.  But Union is not the damn ‘85 Bears, and I promise that IF you prevail, your guys are sure going to feel it Sunday morning.

14 minutes ago, BearDawg said:

Later in the game we went heavy T. Owens scored his 4th td. We were in T from about the 25-30 but I was at the far end. Only point I meant was they seemed out of sorts and had only one stop defensively while we were in the T. Wasn’t advocating coming out in it all game. No sir haha. 

Ah, okay. And yeah it was around the 20, right in front of where I sit. But that to me was just Union showing it's physical dominance, they moved the ball thru the gun most of the game until inside the ten then went T when close. 

I will give Graham one piece of advice-punt or kick off to the kid that returns for Union. He's a scrub. Dude can't make a play if his life depends on it. So you guys that may know the Graham staff or players, I really think you should advocate punting deep. 

13 minutes ago, Mountain7_Bear said:

We aren't worried about Appomattox right now. Right now Graham is our focus. We have to get by them before we worry about who we play next. And getting by Graham will not be easy in any shape or form but Union will be ready to play ball and I know Graham will be ready too.

That’s smart thinking don’t look to far ahead! I agree ! Take care of the next business first!

42 minutes ago, T52OS said:

Who knows, maybe you're what Union has been missing the last 6 years. ?

27 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

That’s a Hell of a lot to read into one comment, don’t ya think?!  But I’ll play your little game.

Tell me the one offense Union has defended which compare to Graham.  You can’t.  For all your defensive prowess, which is legitimate, you have played some pathetic offensive teams.  Marion is probably the best you’ve played...and they ain’t Graham.  As for defenses, Graham has played Richlands and Bluefield, which have comparable defenses to that which Union has (Richlands held you to 29 points over 2 games and almost ended your season, if you recall).  Giles isn’t a slouch either.  

It’s going to be the game of the year in SWVA.  Union may indeed win it.  But Union is not the damn ‘85 Bears, and I promise that IF you prevail, your guys are sure going to feel it Sunday morning.

I believe some feathers have been ruffled, lol 

2 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Nope he's a sophomore this year 

2 years ago + he is a sophomore= how times can a person be in the 9th and 10th grades at Graham and play varsity footall,  Lol, just joking fellas,   thought you might laugh

5 hours ago, EH31 said:

I literally haven't heard that Marion's QB was the best in the region 1 time all season. Hell they subbed him out for the backup the 3rd series against Graham lol 

if you don't believe me then read the quote below 

The backup at Marion is better than the starter is but he's only a sophomore and they wasn't going to play him over a senior