Region 2D Championship: Graham @ Union

Deleted Account

25 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I’d love to, but I always go to UVA/VT.  The timing of that game always messes with me attending 3rd Round playoff games, and with it being a primetime game, my wife and I are making a 2-day trip of it.

If I’m “lucky” I may catch it on the ear-splitting 106.3.

Well have a good time an be safe we will keep you updated!!

1 hour ago, ojrussell said:

I am a Blue Tornado Fan and if I get to the game  I would like to mix with you Union Guys. Is that a problem for you Bears ?

Like someone else said, come on down. We aren't hard to find! Usually have some good food and always some very interesting conversation. ?

2 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

Nope too many great games from the old PV crowd , by the way Zirkle is the son of Todd Zirkle he played against Giles at the Park back in the day

I was curious if they were related.  Todd Zirkle was a heck of a football player for the PV Vikings in the mid-1990s.  Dang good on the diamond too, if memory serves.

8 hours ago, BigWinners said:

JFC

One-Allen will be the best QB Union has seen. Full stop. The kid from Battle had some success scrambling, I'm worried what Allen might do with Union having to command so many resources to stopping other athletes.  (Except maybe throwing the deep ball, that kid from LCC was dropping dimes but that's a 0-10 team. I'll give the QB on the 11-1, #2 team the edge on that alone)

Two-All this "Union and three yards cloud of dust harrumph, all we gotta do!", Have you people watched Union play? Very few drives are not broken open by a 30-40 yard rush. That's a POSITIVE. Don't hide from it. We likely won't outrun Graham for 80 yard TDs, but I'll take a drive that has four 20 yd runs with a TD at the end. If Union comes out in the T and tries to just go up the gut for four yards a play, we will lose. Simple. Graham will get a couple stops, score once or twice, have Union behind the 8-ball and Union loses all game control. Gotta attack, be dynamic, score points. Call those counter plays that seemed to average 40ypc last night, but don't abandon the jet sweep. 

Three-I can't see a 21-14 game. These offenses are just too good. If Graham can't hold up at the LOS on defense, Union will get points. Probably 28 at least. If Union can't contain Allen and Cooke or Lester get loose, Graham will get points. Probably 28 at least. 

I have a couple huge red flags that I'm not even gonna post bc they worry me so much with Graham's speed. It's not about any single Union player, it's about a unit that gave up big plays CONSISTENTLY all year long. 

Itsounds like I'm trashing someone if I don't post it. It's the kickoff unit. Gotta do something there or Graham could get points there. 

If you're gonna discount Union being held to 13 by RHS because of "rivalry game" or whatever, don't then mention RHS holding Graham in check. Those two teams aren't rivals?? RHS got to play Union twice, that helps a ton. 

But it's not RHS-GHS that gives me most hope, it's Giles-GHS. Union can take cues from how Giles was able to fight back despite being behind big and almost win. Union is better in almost all areas than Giles IMO, so that gives me hope while other games (Graham-FC scares me to death) worry me. 

I'll take Union 34-32 

Bigwinners...this was a great post and a very fair assessment in my view. I know both teams very well and agree with you.

I do think some Union posters just simply don't give Graham the respect they deserve. You can't teach SPEED! Graham has more overall athletes that can fly and very physical. I think the physicality and discipline on defense has been Graham's biggest improvement from recent years...and O yeah...did I say speed. They have it.

I think Unions ability to get to Allen quickly will be the key. Allen can sling the football. He was more accurate with his receiver's than I expected. Plus he can run. Much smarter and very tough than people think.

I give Union the edge only because of home field advantage. Union no question has the advantage up front. Graham in my view has the better athlete's even though Union has many. I respect Union and there great fans who I have enjoyed meeting and watching. I just don't think some realize how good Graham is.

I expect a very close game...but as crazy as it sounds I wouldn't be shocked if either team won by a couple of touchdowns. I'm excited to see this one. Good luck to both teams but I will be pulling for our County neighbors. 

41 minutes ago, BlueRazor said:

Bigwinners...this was a great post and a very fair assessment in my view. I know both teams very well and agree with you.

I do think some Union posters just simply don't give Graham the respect they deserve. You can't teach SPEED! Graham has more overall athletes that can fly and very physical. I think the physicality and discipline on defense has been Graham's biggest improvement from recent years...and O yeah...did I say speed. They have it.

I think Unions ability to get to Allen quickly will be the key. Allen can sling the football. He was more accurate with his receiver's than I expected. Plus he can run. Much smarter and very tough than people think.

I give Union the edge only because of home field advantage. Union no question has the advantage up front. Graham in my view has the better athlete's even though Union has many. I respect Union and there great fans who I have enjoyed meeting and watching. I just don't think some realize how good Graham is.

I expect a very close game...but as crazy as it sounds I wouldn't be shocked if either team won by a couple of touchdowns. I'm excited to see this one. Good luck to both teams but I will be pulling for our County neighbors. 

I hear graham has team speed. Honest question. Does graham compete in track. Union finished second in the 400 relay at the state meet. Three current running backs were on that team. I didn’t see graham listed in the team results at all. This is not a jab. So please don’t take it as such. Just a curious question. These fast guys may play baseball or work out for football. I get that. Just an honest question. And in all fairness, I’ll give graham the edge in the speed department. No disrespect intended guys. 

1 hour ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I was curious if they were related.  Todd Zirkle was a heck of a football player for the PV Vikings in the mid-1990s.  Dang good on the diamond too, if memory serves.

Yep pitched for Tech until a injury , about 100mph fastball, he won state ring in football(2) and baseball

7 hours ago, BearDawg said:

I hear graham has team speed. Honest question. Does graham compete in track. Union finished second in the 400 relay at the state meet. Three current running backs were on that team. I didn’t see graham listed in the team results at all. This is not a jab. So please don’t take it as such. Just a curious question. These fast guys may play baseball or work out for football. I get that. Just an honest question. And in all fairness, I’ll give graham the edge in the speed department. No disrespect intended guys. 

That's a good question. I don't know the answer to that. Im pretty sure Cooke does compete in track. Not sure about some of the rest.

8 hours ago, BearDawg said:

Graham does not have a historically strong T&F program.  

4 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Graham does not have a historically strong T&F program.  

Graham doesnt have a lot of participation in track.  Several of their athletes play soccer in the spring.  Track has never been popular at Graham, even when I went there in pre historic times.  Of course Cooke's fastest OFFICIAL time is 4.37 ran at a camp at VT.  He also has an official time of 4.40 clocked at a camp in Charlotte, NC.  I capitalize official because of how many folks doubted that these numbers were for real at the beginning of the season.  13 or so D 1 offers later, after these times were posted, I guess we see he's for real.  You don't need a watch to see how fast this kid is, if he gets in the open field, it's going to the house, simple as that, he can fly.  Graham has several kids who can run in the 4.5 to 4.6 range on offense.  Lester, Gray. Allen, Justice all have very good speed.  Curto is very athletic and decent speed as well, I'd like to see him get the ball more, but there are just not enough football to go around.  I can't help but wonder how tough of an out Graham would be with a healthy Reed and Chinault playing this season.  Don't sleep on their defensive, they are decent up front and their linebacker play and secondary are exceptional.  Not a lot of success passing on Graham.  Richlands was able to put pressure on the QB, but Allen made big plays with his feet.  I don't think Graham can simply drop Allen back in the pocket and try to let him pass against Union.  They have to get him moving, make those big linemen chase him around and wear them down. Otherwise it could be a long night for Graham.

14 minutes ago, futbolking said:

Graham doesnt have a lot of participation in track.  Several of their athletes play soccer in the spring.  Track has never been popular at Graham, even when I went there in pre historic times.  Of course Cooke's fastest OFFICIAL time is 4.37 ran at a camp at VT.  He also has an official time of 4.40 clocked at a camp in Charlotte, NC.  I capitalize official because of how many folks doubted that these numbers were for real at the beginning of the season.  13 or so D 1 offers later, after these times were posted, I guess we see he's for real.  You don't need a watch to see how fast this kid is, if he gets in the open field, it's going to the house, simple as that, he can fly.  Graham has several kids who can run in the 4.5 to 4.6 range on offense.  Lester, Gray. Allen, Justice all have very good speed.  Curto is very athletic and decent speed as well, I'd like to see him get the ball more, but there are just not enough football to go around.  I can't help but wonder how tough of an out Graham would be with a healthy Reed and Chinault playing this season.  Don't sleep on their defensive, they are decent up front and their linebacker play and secondary are exceptional.  Not a lot of success passing on Graham.  Richlands was able to put pressure on the QB, but Allen made big plays with his feet.  I don't think Graham can simply drop Allen back in the pocket and try to let him pass against Union.  They have to get him moving, make those big linemen chase him around and wear them down. Otherwise it could be a long night for Graham.

Still stung over a discussion we had back in July, eh?

Those “official” times to which you refer do NOT pass “official” muster in the world of T&F measurement.  They aren’t electronic and are wind-aided.  I don’t know how many times I have to plow this ground with you people.  I’m not saying Cooke isn’t fast; he’s the fastest athlete within the jurisdiction of this website.  I’m saying that OFFICIAL times and the measurements you identify as “official” differ by up to two-tenths of a second.  Plus, VT’s camps are NOTORIOUS for shaving time off their preferred targets’ 40 times.  

If you took Cooke and gave him an “official” time trial, he’s probably in the 4.48-4.52 range.  If he ran an “official” 4.37, he’d have quadruple the D1 offers he has, even considering that his hands are a net negative for his preferred position.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Still stung over a discussion we had back in July, eh?

Those “official” times to which you refer do NOT pass “official” muster in the world of T&F measurement.  They aren’t electronic and are wind-aided.  I don’t know how many times I have to plow this ground with you people.  I’m not saying Cooke isn’t fast; he’s the fastest athlete within the jurisdiction of this website.  I’m saying that OFFICIAL times and the measurements you identify as “official” differ by up to two-tenths of a second.  Plus, VT’s camps are NOTORIOUS for shaving time off their preferred targets’ 40 times.  

If you took Cooke and gave him an “official” time trial, he’s probably in the 4.48-4.52 range.  If he ran an “official” 4.37, he’d have quadruple the D1 offers he has, even considering that his hands are a net negative for his preferred position.

Cooke can run a 4.48 backwards, you are delusional.  Bradshaw's best time was a 4.52 at the NFL combine and he himself will tell you that Cooke is faster.  To be a Graham fan that never actually goes to see them play and relies mostly on a pitiful radio broadcast, you sure throw a lot of shade their way.  That's why I don't like posting on here because of fake fans like yourself.

No wind aided time coming from their indoor practice facility and they sure as hell didn't use a stopwatch.  They were electronic.  As was the time at the camp in Charlotte. WVU put a speed jacket on him and offered him immediately afterwards, but it wasnt a "wind aided" speed jacket.

The only wind aided stuff around here is the stuff coming from your direction. And don't refer to me as "you people".  You're not any better than anybody else on here.  

54 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I’m not saying Cooke isn’t fast; he’s the fastest athlete within the jurisdiction of this website.

But just barely. If you pushed the line 10 miles farther west, he becomes the 2nd or 3rd fastest, and is nowhere near the top...

15 hours ago, EH31 said:

I didn't make that trip so I didn't know had happened. Saturday will be my first trip to BSG. 

Somebody give me info on seating, parking, places to eat? 

I plan on leaving early that day.. anything in the area to do or see? I like history, so anything like that? 

Seating for visitors is roughly 1000 wheelchair accessible, aluminum bleachers, but that's cheek to cheek. Not sure if Graham's band will attend or how many fans will come.

Pizza at concessions will be good, hotdogs are OK. Not sure if they will for Saturday, but they've had taco soup and baked potatoes lately.

I'll add a couple of places to eat in addition to what the other guys mentioned. I've never been,  but my daughter loves the Union Grill in BSG. If pizza is your thing, Doughmakers in Norton is hard to beat.

Parking inside the Park should be accessible until at least an hour before the game. Anytime closer and you may be parking along the many streets outside the entrance.

Safe travels!

2 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

May have to make the trip to BSG Saturday cause this should be a good one

14 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

If I come to Union with my single wing shirt on will I be booed out of the stadium?

Come on down guys. Wear your Giles gear. You'll be more than welcome.

11 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

That's great!! My heart goes out to any player on any team that gets hurt.

This young man is the definition of toughness.  He had a horrific injury in the Richlands jamboree when his leg was broken and he had to be airlifted out of there.  He came back only to suffer another leg injury, re have and came back again moving to the defensive side of the ball and becoming one of Graham's best defenders.  This latest injury was very scary, he was blind sided with helmet to ear hole contact after the play was over by a Grayson defender who I will not name.  Very scary situation   Michael was motionless on the field for quite a while.  Don't know if he was concussed or not.  But an uncalled for cheap shot, that could have ended tragically.

Looking forward to a fun trip this Saturday. Hoping for a good clean game with no injuries and may the best team win!!  Whoever wins. You can bet that I will be cheering for them to bring the title back to region D.  Where it belongs 

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

Seating for visitors is roughly 1000 wheelchair accessible, aluminum bleachers, but that's cheek to cheek. Not sure if Graham's band will attend or how many fans will come.

Pizza at concessions will be good, hotdogs are OK. Not sure if they will for Saturday, but they've had taco soup and baked potatoes lately.

I'll add a couple of places to eat in addition to what the other guys mentioned. I've never been,  but my daughter loves the Union Grill in BSG. If pizza is your thing, Doughmakers in Norton is hard to beat.

Parking inside the Park should be accessible until at least an hour before the game. Anytime closer and you may be parking along the many streets outside the entrance.

Safe travels!

I ran out of likes, but thank you!

another question if anyone knows.. 

does sprint have LTE in BSG?

8 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

No sir. Or Atleast they didn't this time last year. 

So since the game is on Saturday at 2 I have to miss the iron bowl and I can't even stream it on my phone? You union guys aren't being very good hosts