Region 2D Championship: Graham @ Union

Deleted Account

Want to come so bad but will have to see what is going on with the family.  Probably be better than most of the games on tv I would say.

Sounds like it might be a swvasports board get together before the game! lol

2pm Sat at Bullitt Park ..on grass, maybe some rain , so footing may be an issue but the field is in great shape and has always performed well in the rain. How does Graham like being on grass as compared to turf? Insights?

7 hours ago, Blue 72 said:

Being from Richlands, I almost hate to speak the words, but I am pulling for Graham.  The QB's uncle use to be my son-in-law and I have watched Cameron from pee wee up, so I wish him the very best game of his life and hope they bring home a win.  My heart tells me that Union's defense will be to much for the G-men and although it will be a good game, I think Travis Turner will have the Bears running on all cylinders come game time, and will claim another victory.  Best of luck to both teams and their fans, both teams deserve this game, enjoy this time, you will remember it the rest of your life.

I am from Richlands and it  doesn't bother me a bit to pull for Union .No love for  Graham .

47 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

2pm Sat at Bullitt Park ..on grass, maybe some rain , so footing may be an issue but the field is in great shape and has always performed well in the rain. How does Graham like being on grass as compared to turf? Insights?

I'm not sure what they think about grass but graham has only played 2 games all year on grass at Lebanon and Fort Chiswell. The other 10 were on turf. 

* but the $60,000 Tazewell County paid for Graham to play at Mitchell Stadium doesn't include practice time so Graham does practice everyday on grass next To the high school. 

4 minutes ago, ojrussell said:

Just my opinion  sir. Union has class ,your players showed their butt the last time they played and they got a well deserved butt kicking. GO BEARS !

Tied at 28 on the last play of the 3rd quarter doesn’t exactly scream butt-kicking.  Good luck in your playoff game this week against “Couch High School”.

12 minutes ago, ojrussell said:

Just my opinion  sir. Union has class ,your players showed their butt the last time they played and they got a well deserved butt kicking. GO BEARS !

By showing their butts are you referring to the "Come get some" chant that they do when they come out on the field before kickoff?

3 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Tied at 28 on the last play of the 3rd quarter doesn’t exactly scream butt-kicking.  Good luck in your playoff game this week against “Couch High School”.

7 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

High School Football sometimes brings out the worst in us . I don't dislike anything about Graham High School or any of the players . I knew Coach Carlock fairly well and had great respect for him. I sometimes say things  just to jerk a chain or 2 . Just bear in mind a saying my Dad often used" everybody thinks his crow is he blackest"I will be a Man fan if they make it to Salem.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

The final score of the last Union and Graham game was 49-20. 

Seems Graham’s head coach is a bit over confident of a win Saturday. Was overhead at the region d coaches meeting today saying he has hotel booked in appo and was asking about places too eat. Then, during the meeting, asks coach turner what the win streak is at the Park. Travis tells him that’s not really what they are there for. He then proceeds to tell him he knows the streak number and tells Travis. 

Sounds like he’s worried and trying to play head games with Travis. Barking up the wrong tree I’m afraid. Just managed to embarrass himself. 

1 minute ago, BearDawg said:

Seems Graham’s head coach is a bit over confident of a win Saturday. Was overhead at the region d coaches meeting today saying he has hotel booked in appo and was asking about places too eat. Then, during the meeting, asks coach turner what the win streak is at the Park. Travis tells him that’s not really what they are there for. He then proceeds to tell him he knows the streak number and tells Travis. 

Sounds like he’s worried and trying to play head games with Travis. Barking up the wrong tree I’m afraid. Just managed to embarrass himself. 

Can Saturday get here any sooner?

6 minutes ago, BearDawg said:

I don't believe this for one second.  You don't know Coach Palmer very well.  Enough of this B.S. about our boys being disrespectful and the insinuation that Graham has discipline problems.  Far from it.  These kids are yes sir, no sir all the way.  They are quiet when coach talks and are super good kids.  Give it a rest. There is not a finer role model than coach Tony Palmer. This crosses the line.

5 minutes ago, futbolking said:

I don't believe this for one second.  You don't know Coach Palmer very well.  Enough of this B.S. about our boys being disrespectful and the insinuation that Graham has discipline problems.  Far from it.  These kids are yes sir, no sir all the way.  They are quiet when coach talks and are super good kids.  Give it a rest. There is not a finer role model than coach Tony Palmer. This crosses the line.

Never said I did know him. But I know our coaches. One of them coached me. I trust them. If they said they heard it, then I take it as it happened. If that sounds odd to you, sorry pal. I know exactly one person who has a kid who plays for graham. He’s good people and his kid is too. He’s young. Jv player I think. As for your kids being good, might be. I got no reason to argue that. But when they have history of flipping off our fans and talking trash to our band and cheerleaders, then what are people going to think. 

I didnt say say anything to trash your team or coach. But his tactics at the meeting are childish. But I’m not arguing. Safe travels to and from BSG. 

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

23 minutes ago, trumpet1988 said:

The final score of the last Union and Graham game was 49-20. 

It was actually 28-21 entering the 4th with final score being 49-21, but it was far from a drubbing. Game was very close and competitive throughout. Hope Saturday is as entertaining as that game.

8 minutes ago, futbolking said:

I don’t know how they are on a regular basis but the ones who played for Graham in 2015 did not display a lot of discipline at Bullitt the last time they were there. It was repugnant to see some of those boys behaving in a way that embarrasses their community.

I mean this with all due respect to the Graham faithful.

I hope Palmer has addressed this since. 

As for the hearsay, I have my doubts about that myself. But if that’s true then Palmer has just made a serious mistake. 

I’m so tired of hearing how Union is automatically going to win and the trash talk about Graham coaches and players.  Coach Palmer has been head coach for 3 years - who else has brought a program that far that quickly.  Sick of the bashing of the Graham kids hell I bet Graham has more 4.0 kids on the football team than anyone in the area.  Graham kids are a good hard working bunch.  Let’s stop the trash talk and let these teams play it out.  I highly doubt Coach Palmer was boasting at a meeting if anything he is one of the most humble coaches I know.  He would never say graham is going to go to the next round he takes it week by week no matter who they play.  Saturday can’t get her quick enough no doubt to shut this negative speculation up!!  I’m excited to see an evenly matched football game.  Strength of schedule points scored points scored on Union and Graham match up better than anyone.  See ya at Bullit and will be there with more Cowbell!

F8880530-B872-49A5-A565-704AC40E464B.jpeg

8 minutes ago, BearDawg said:

Never said I did know him. But I know our coaches. One of them coached me. I trust them. If they said they heard it, then I take it as it happened. If that sounds odd to you, sorry pal. I know exactly one person who has a kid who plays for graham. He’s good people and his kid is too. He’s young. Jv player I think. As for your kids being good, might be. I got no reason to argue that. But when they have history of flipping off our fans and talking trash to our band and cheerleaders, then what are people going to think. 

I didnt say say anything to trash your team or coach. But his tactics at the meeting are childish. But I’m not arguing. Safe travels to and from BSG. 

As an adult in the situation, you are no better to perpetuate the situation on a message board.  They are kids, you are an adult 

Different kids? James was there , but overall different kids yes. I hope it’s not it’s not as chippy as the last 2 times, once at Bullitt and once in Bluefield. Our kids (both teams) shouldn’t let the adults effect their game with the bs , just go 100 mph and enjoy, some of our kids will Never play again , so sit back and enjoy them, because this moment in time will never come again

2 minutes ago, G-star said:

I’m so tired of hearing how Union is automatically going to win and the trash talk about Graham coaches and players.  Coach Palmer has been head coach for 3 years - who else has brought a program that far that quickly.  Sick of the bashing of the Graham kids hell I bet Graham has more 4.0 kids on the football team than anyone in the area.  Graham kids are a good hard working bunch.  Let’s stop the trash talk and let these teams play it out.  I highly doubt Coach Palmer was boasting at a meeting if anything he is one of the most humble coaches I know.  He would never say graham is going to go to the next round he takes it week by week no matter who they play.  Saturday can’t get her quick enough no doubt to shut this negative speculation up!!  I’m excited to see an evenly matched football game.  Strength of schedule points scored points scored on Union and Graham match up better than anyone.  See ya at Bullit and will be there with more Cowbell!

F8880530-B872-49A5-A565-704AC40E464B.jpeg

Well said and thank you for saying this.  This group voluntarily prays together before and after games.  They have volunteered their time to do community service.  This characterization of Coach Palmer is ridiculous.  Most everybody in Bluefield knows Tony personally and would say this is a bunch of B.S.  I know a lot if these kids personally and it's sickening to hear grown adults talk about kids this way.

10 minutes ago, futbolking said:

As an adult in the situation, you are no better to perpetuate the situation on a message board.  They are kids, you are an adult 

To acknowledge that it happened is not wrong. Kids of 14-18 ought to know better than some of what was seen. If Union players were behaving that way at any point then people would be calling them out. When I acted like a knucklehead as a kid, I got called out. If I see a young person doing things like that then they will be told off.

No person is bashing Graham. Acknowledging what happened and thinking your thoughts is not bashing.

I don’t think about it all the time but I do remember it.